South Yorkshire Transport Museum

knightstemplar

Spotted the South Yorkshire Transport Museum table at the Rotherham History Fair, they now have a new premisis see

Open days

27th May07

10th June

8th July

12th August

26th August

9th September

14th October

11th November

9th December. These dates are all Sundays.

Admission £3 Adults, £1.50 Concessions, Family ticket £6 (2 adults & 2 children)

Spotted the South Yorkshire Transport Museum table at the Rotherham History Fair, they now have a new premisis see

Open days

27th May

10th June

8th July

12th August

26th August

9th September

14th October

11th November

9th December. These dates are all Sundays.

Admission £3 Adults, £1.50 Concessions, Family ticket £6 (2 adults & 2 children)

Thanks for the update lol

How was the Rotherham-thingie ?

Nice to see three lovely preserved buses on the front of the new website.

For many years ex Sheffield City Transport "874" was "garaged" on the canal wharf, under what I assume is now luxury executive apartments ;)

Great to see 874 has a better site than the canal wharf.

As for the Rotherham thingie. I never feel at home at those places. :unsure: I always have loads of questions to ask museums and societies but never take the opportunity to ask. I think it is that they are all sat behind desks, a bit like asking the teacher. You know what I mean dont you. I always end up talking to the visitors.

Sue

Just come home and dried off after visiting the museum today.

It was great to see the vehicles there and the new building is great.....but its not Tinsley Tram Sheds :(

I know things move on and I should by over the moon that they are still going and they have gone to the effort of moving to the new building etc etc but I used to love going round Tinsley as much for the building as well as the buses.

Here are one or two of the shots I took there....

Was supposed to be going today myself but driving the scooter in the rain isn't my idea of fun. The bloke that was on the info desk in Rotherham said he would put the electric on the above blue and cream bus so I could ring the bell. Ding-ding. he he

Sue

They were running a backloader up to Asda and back, so we went to jump on for a ride but the driver had pulled away to turn round, so we waited 'till he was passing and he stopped to let us on.

Anyway as we jumped on the chap who was acting as Conductor had just got himself settled down and didn't want to stand up so he asked me to ring the bell for the driver to pull away.

HOW GIDDY WAS I!!!

Then as I pressed the button I was a lttle disapointed to find, instead of a bell, that vehicle had a buzzer.

Guest transit

Just come home and dried off after visiting the museum today.

It was great to see the vehicles there and the new building is great.....but its not Tinsley Tram Sheds :(

I know things move on and I should by over the moon that they are still going and they have gone to the effort of moving to the new building etc etc but I used to love going round Tinsley as much for the building as well as the buses.

Here are one or two of the shots I took there....

Apparently they will be moving premises again in around 3 years . The Mainline decker has been superbly restored - it only seems like yesterday that it was in service on the Sheffield streets!

My excuse is that my uncle used to be a conductor on a bus like the blue and cream one posted above. If we got on his bus he was on he would let me ring the bell to set off. Ding Ding. lol

Sue

Look what I found in the middle of Rotherham today.

Open day tomorrow 25th May 1200 till 1600 Admission- adults 3.00, concessions 1.50, Family ticket 6.00(2 adults + 2 children)

Vintage bus service from Rotherham Bus Station

Sue

2008 events

Sunday 25th May

Sunday 8th June

Sunday 13th July

Sunday 10th August

Sunday 24th August

Sunday 14th September*

Sunday 12th October

Sunday 9th November

Sunday 14th December

*combined with the Sheffield Transport Rally

Also at the Rotherham show 6th/7th September

Guest transit

Nice to see three lovely preserved buses on the front of the new website.

For many years ex Sheffield City Transport "874" was "garaged" on the canal wharf, under what I assume is now luxury executive apartments ;)

Great to see 874 has a better site than the canal wharf.

Here is a picture of said 874 when garaged (pre museums) on the Canal Wharf . Also garaged here at the same time(76- 80) was another Sheffield decker 1156 , which now resides at Olive Grove bus depot. Please note - EVERYTHING in this picture (except the bus) has gone!!! The bus is parked on the site of the Narbaro Nathanson building which overlooks the parkway.

Guest transit
Here is a picture of said 874 when garaged (pre museums) on the Canal Wharf . Also garaged here at the same time(76- 80) was another Sheffield decker 1156 , which now resides at Olive Grove bus depot. Please note - EVERYTHING in this picture (except the bus) has gone!!! The bus is parked on the site of the Narbaro Nathanson building which overlooks the parkway.

Guest bus man

Remember that in addition to 874 & 1156 there were also some traky buses and commerial coaches that used it as an operators base.

The attached photo - hopefully I have been able to do it - shows the canal wharfe in around 1979 notice the signal box still in situa

Guest transit

Remember that in addition to 874 & 1156 there were also some traky buses and commerial coaches that used it as an operators base.

The attached photo - hopefully I have been able to do it - shows the canal wharfe in around 1979 notice the signal box still in situa

I remember the coaches - Bobs Coaches , and Charnock ??? - and also remember the many orange brand new Bedford CF vans with Turners news on the side (to be later taken over by GT News) which mostly worked through the night from Canal Wharf via the short journey to the railway station then on to all the newspaper shops with all the daily news.

Guest bus man

The orange vans you were talking about:

Charnock coaches the roadliner was been replaced by the space car the roadliner ended up with a stocksbridge operator

Guest transit

The orange vans you were talking about:

Charnock coaches the roadliner was been replaced by the space car the roadliner ended up with a stocksbridge operator

Great pics - pic 1 ...i wonder if the smart suited, highly paid , solicitors and office staff who now walk through the entrance gates(through security) each day would do the same back then with as much smugness? ;-) Proctors had a garage /petrol station beside Granelli's at the bottom of Broad St before the building of the Park Square roundabout (1972-74) - when they had to move to other (nearby Canal Wharf) premises.pic 2 ...notice to the right one of the many Bedford CF:s as mentioned earlier .One question mr busman..are your initials RW or EW??????

Guest bus man

Not sure but think the building on our left which was proctors office as been demolished.

Guest transit

What are your initials then

CM ...but not as in Major!!!!you must be R as E lives in Barnsley! By the way the first picture , i made the 11 to make 1156 on the destination screen! (first 4 digit route number EVER in Sheff?)

Guest bus man

It was done to show the fleet number . Now let me think wasnt there something in STD days that was non standard that had 4 digit number blind the first one was shut off

Cant think what it was at the moment

Guest transit

Another shot of the canal but this time at the locks

WOW...... tis me!!!! ...can"t remember this but spent many happy hours down on the Canal mostly restoring 1156 as a schoolkid every Sat . Any more pics please!!??

Guest bus man

The above photo is a shot across your bows - be care full I have a few shots of you .

The photo is taken at the top of thee tinsley locks if you remember occasionaly on a sunday we would hire a rowing boat from the hire place - was it greens and row as far as we could go - tinsley locks think we only did the full length once.

Now that I have the facility to post photos then I will start another thread in the next month or so just on the canal as I have some photos before it became yuppified.

The proctors garage across the road was I think called shuckers.

Have tried to pm you but it wont let me send me a pm with your normal e mail add

The only thing I would dispute in your comments are that I think at the time proctors had more dodge walk through than cf's

Turners and GT news are the same firm turners are the main firm and GT are the trading name for newsagents - although recently they have sold a lot of the newsagents