Anyone Familiar With The Local Churchyards? (Recent Grave)

Guest Paul C

Hi folks, I have this photo of a family grave but no idea where it is. The photo was probably taken about ten years ago, but the relative who sent it has since died. I know that Harry Deakin and his wife Verna lived on Jaunty Crescent in Gleadless so I assume it's in a churchyard somewhere in that area, but I don't live locally so can't really go looking for it myself. I was hoping someone here might have seen similar graves or have some ideas.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I would say that this is more likely to be a Garden of Remembrance at a crematorium, or an area reserved for the burial of ashes in a municipal cemetery.

Perhaps a cemetery then. I know Harry and Verna were cremated at Hutcliffe Wood, but I had a good look around there and the adjacent cemetery last summer, and at City Road as well, and didn't see any memorials that looked like that. Big places though, could have missed something I suppose. :unsure:

The only place I can think of that looks like the picture is Underbank Chapel graveyard at Stannington, but it's a bit remote unless they had local and/or chapel connections.

Guest binsted71

These people may be able to help:-

Sheffield Bereavement Services

City Road Cemetery

City Road

Sheffield

S2 1GD

Tel: 0114 2396068

Look no further they are in the Gleadless Christ Church. I photographed all the readable stones this year!

They are located around the boundary walls of the churchyard. These might be near the top end section.

Look no further they are in the Gleadless Christ Church. I photographed all the readable stones this year!

They are located around the boundary walls of the churchyard. These might be near the top end section.

Yes nice piece of work there History Dude.

I would have suggested that if they lived at Jaunty, and with the wall looking old, the most likely church would have been Gleadless.