Crown Attercliffe Common

Stuart0742

What do we know about the Crown Attercliffe Common

I am trying to find any reference to the above Tavern run or owned by John Thomas Parkin as shown in the 1911 Census. John Thomas was my Great Grandfather and was registered there as 52 years old.

The Crown Beerhouse Closed 31 Dec 1932 see page 15 in List of Licensed Beerhouses in Sheffield, c.1870 - c.1935 (ref. MC/7/1)

Picture Sheffield photos:

Nos. 623, former lodging house, earlier beerhouse known as the Crown Inn, 685-637, Attercliffe Common from the junction with Mons Street, Beerhouse up to 1931, Crown Inn is etched on the Window

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s24786&pos=2&action=zoom&id=27233

Junction of Mons Street and Attercliffe Common (far right) two pubs – no 617 is Royal Hotel and the Crown is opposite

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s24788&prevUrl=

The Royal Hotel (opposite corner to the Crown)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s21808&pos=4&action=zoom&id=24290

July 9th 1883 “APARTMENTS WANTED” Wanted Furnished Apartments for married couple no children near the Ball Inn Attercliffe, Address - “Mr Brock” Crown Inn, Attercliffe Common”

June 10th 1884 for sale advert

Lot 5 The BEERHOUSE called the Crown Inn on Attercliffe common, at the corner of Blucher street, and ten DWELLING HOUSES adjoining, three of which front tom Attercliffe common and seven to Blucher Street, occupied by Messrs. Whitmarsh and Co. or their under tenant, and Messrs. Johnson, Flowers, Sockett, Richards, Sorsby and others.

November 1887 Property sales Lot 2 comprising the beer-house called the Crown Inn on Attercliffe Common and ten dwelling houses adjoining, the whole let for a gross yearly rental of £105 9s and containing 897 square yards, at a ground rent of £25 10s 5d was sold for £600.

From Sheffieldforum: "The royal was on the corner of MONS street and Attercliffe common. to the best of my husbands knowledge ..the last landlord / landlady were called BARRY AND GLENDA someone else took it over when Barry and Glenda moved to worksop.

it was demolished in the late 70's early 80's and was a stone's house, the Royal was opposite the Red Lion on the other corner of Mons Street, Attercliffe. which became a doss house in the 50's [not sure if this recollection is correct – Red Lion should be the Crown? - Ted]

Blucher Street was renamed Mons Street. The location of the first major battle of WW1 replaced the previously popular Prussian General who joined Wellington at Waterloo, subsequently a hated hun. The 1903 map shows it still as Blucher Street:

In 1900 John Arthur Parkin of the Crown Inn (the son of John Thomas Parkin) was one of 23 St.Johns Ambulance men who volunteered for service at the Boer War and were passed medically fit. He was subsequently one of only six men who were actually sent out to South Africa (see cuttings):

1901 Census:

Yes the Crown Attercliffe Common is the same one as the Crown, Carbrook. The Index has the entry for the landlord as George Rodger - the 1871 census (attached) shows him as Geo. Rodgers (joiner and publican beer house) at the Crown (Tinsley Road) opposite the Royal, run by James Barnard.

An ancestor of mine lived in Blucher/Mons Street nearby George Vitty was his name

On 18/06/2021 at 14:11, Derek Stephen Roft said:

An ancestor of mine lived in Blucher/Mons Street nearby George Vitty was his name

He served in WW1 with the RAMC, Yorks & Lancaster Rgt and Durham Light Infantry. He was also wounded.

Thanks Mate

George Vitty married my father's eldest sister Elizabeth Emily Roft in 1919. He was a paitient at Napsbury Military Hospital in St Albans, Herts. It's very possible they met there she was an Auxilliary Nurse. Thanks again.