Shirecliffe House (Remand Home)! Top Of Shirecliffe Lane.

popadodge

I spent 3 weeks in here about 1965..very very very very strict! The Governor was Mr Camack...his wife and lots of very strict assistants. I was only there for three weeks but still have vivid memories of bad experiences.

When I took that photo it looked like just an ordinary residential property. Worth a fortune t'other side of town!

I spent 3 weeks in here about 1965..very very very very strict! The Governor was Mr Camack...his wife and lots of very strict assistants. I was only there for three weeks but still have vivid memories of bad experiences.

But did it do the trick , did it make you a good boy? lol

I remember some boys in the 60s going there and when they came out we didn't know they were the same lads.

As we still spoke very much Sheffielders , they then spoke very well on the verge of posh !!!

Yeah...when I came home after 3 weeks all my family where laughing at me every time I spoke, Please, thankyou ,excuse me ,etc etc was hammered into you every minute of the day. No it didn't make me a good boy to be honest I rebeled against it when I came home I was another 15 yrs sorting myself out. Got there though in the end...Good boy now! ha B)

Guest millhouses1

i was in there for most of 1981 first on remand then on a care order before i went off to eastcliffe on east bank road

Guest john robertson

I was there for two years in 1968 it was brutal harsh and silently amiss all what is said is true clean in the mourning school afternoon all done in silence plenty of trousers down six of the best in the main hall infront of all you didn't cry you couldn't just pulled the bed covers over your head the strangest think is I am told was sent there as a refractory child anyone no what that means I would like to here from u I had not Brocken the law it's all strange confusing all that is said is just the tip of the iceberg so for all you goodY good shoes make you better person ect I tell you think before answering people's disposition as its not always about breaking the law if it was they would have been treated better in prison the poor people who was in there understand this am looking speak people who was there same time as me also the main man at the time was a fellow hattersly am to believe the made him a lord about right wouldn't u say boys of shire cliffe remand home we thank you for the beatings the humiliation the head games and for all the points you gave me for scrubbing your floors for this I thank you and I ain't even broke the law well got that of me chest as for approve school well that's another tale skegby hall another place demolished with silent screaming walls thanks feel better now

In the early 1980's I knew a couple of the senior staff. They needed a boat to accompany canoeists ,so I lent them mine. This was quickly wrecked when the Council insisted it be proven water tight. So they lifted it onto trestles and proceeded to fill it with water.... Unsurprisingly,every seam sprang since it never ocurred to them that a boat in its natural environment withstands water pressure from the outside.

I think by then the regime was much easier on "students" but I do recall they had a couple of very "naughty boys" who were kept behind locked doors!

On 18/02/2015 at 00:52, john robertson said:

I was there for two years in 1968 it was brutal harsh and silently amiss all what is said is true clean in the mourning school afternoon all done in silence plenty of trousers down six of the best in the main hall infront of all you didn't cry you couldn't just pulled the bed covers over your head the strangest think is I am told was sent there as a refractory child anyone no what that means I would like to here from u I had not Brocken the law it's all strange confusing all that is said is just the tip of the iceberg so for all you goodY good shoes make you better person ect I tell you think before answering people's disposition as its not always about breaking the law if it was they would have been treated better in prison the poor people who was in there understand this am looking speak people who was there same time as me also the main man at the time was a fellow hattersly am to believe the made him a lord about right wouldn't u say boys of shire cliffe remand home we thank you for the beatings the humiliation the head games and for all the points you gave me for scrubbing your floors for this I thank you and I ain't even broke the law well got that of me chest as for approve school well that's another tale skegby hall another place demolished with silent screaming walls thanks feel better now

Hattersley was a good fellow when I was there in the mid 60's

On 18/02/2015 at 08:51, lysander said:

In the early 1980's I knew a couple of the senior staff. They needed a boat to accompany canoeists ,so I lent them mine. This was quickly wrecked when the Council insisted it be proven water tight. So they lifted it onto trestles and proceeded to fill it with water.... Unsurprisingly,every seam sprang since it never ocurred to them that a boat in its natural environment withstands water pressure from the outside.

I think by then the regime was much easier on "students" but I do recall they had a couple of very "naughty boys" who were kept behind locked doors!

When I was there in the 60's I saw 11 and 12 yr olds beaten with slippers..shoe's Sticks on football field and arses caned in front of all till arse cheeks bled. <removed> evil place.

-------------

Edit: SteveHB.