Cellars

Guest shelagh scholfield

Guest shelagh scholfield

Every house I was at in the fifties had a cellar.The coal man lifted the grate from outside and tipped the coal down into the cellar.There was a slab to keep food cold.There was a brick missing in our cellar wall that led to the neighbours cellar, this was done during the war so that folks could call through if they were trapped.

<p>Every house I was at in the fifties had a cellar.The coal man lifted the grate from outside and tipped the coal down into the cellar.There was a slab to keep food cold.There &nbsp;was a brick missing in our cellar wall that led to the neighbours cellar .this was done during the war so that folks could call through if they were trapped.</p>

As a young lad I was sent down the cellar grate at very regular intervals because my mother was always forgetting her key.

No so bad if we had recently had a coal delivery because I could slide down the pile of coal to the floor. If the coal was low it was a drop to the floor. All in pitch darkness of course.

The hole between cellars was originally made big enough to crawl through if the house was brought down on top. They were bricked up again after the war. Perhaps they ran out of bricks in your cellar.

There's no way I could fit down a coal hole nowadays. :)

HD