Pocket Watch Sold By M Beal

KevinB

I have recently acquired a pocket watch which has the marks "M Beal" and "Sheffield" on it. I presume M Beal was the retailer who sold it ( as with JG Graves watches) but does anybody know where this shop was?

Presumably two different generations here :

Michael Beal, Watch and Clock maker & jeweller, 72 Fargate (1849-1852, maybe longer ...)

and Michael Beal, Watch Maker, 2 Market Place (1871-1925, maybe longer) - listed as Jewellers in 1871, listed as Watchmaker, Jeweller, Silversmith and Dealer in Diamonds in 1905).

so, need some idea of its age and, if at all possible a picture of the item please.

2 Market Place, Michael Beal, jeweller

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t00243&pos=9&action=zoom&id=30759

Business card, no date.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t03695&pos=5&action=zoom&id=34029

Number 72 Fargate hiding somewhere to the left of Queen Victoria monument.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15725&pos=5&action=zoom&id=18477

In April 1853 Michael Beal of Fargate was Overseer of the Poor. In May that year he placed an advert in the Independent for “ Sheffield Mechanics Institute – Wanted – a Person to Clean and Light Up the Room of the Institution. Applications to be made to Mr Beal 72 Fargate”

In August 1853 he was an Improvement Commissioner. March 1854 saw an attempted theft of gold ear-rings from his shop. In September he was collecting for the Elliott Monument fund. By November 1854 he was on the Town Council for the Ecclesall Ward. In that month a gold watch and guard-chain manufactured by Mr Beal was presented to Mr Samuel Atkinson by the Nottingham Imperial Order of Oddfellows. In August 1855 he advertised for a Journeyman Watchmaker. In December 1856 the Duke of Norfolk presented a Beal made clock to the town – “of the first workmanship, embracing all the modern improvements of horological science” regulated to Greenwich time, which was important as the church clocks were then set to five to seven minutes before Greenwich time.

In September 1857 the employees of T.Turton & Son presented their manager Mr Joseph Marrison, with a clock made by M.Beal, “richly gilt and surmounted with a figure of Astronomy”.

In October 1859 the Independent printed a notice “REMOVAL Beal & Son, Practical Watch Makers, Jewellers and Silversmiths, Post Office Buildings, Market Place (late M.Beal 72 Fargate) The shop is now open with a new and extensive stock”

In November 1860 he was on the Free Library Committee. In March 1861 he was voted as a Guardian for the Sheffield Union. In October of that year he became a Liberal councillor for the Park Ward. In July 1863 an inscribed silver inkstand purchased from Beal’s was presented to Alderman Saunders. In 1864 Mr Beal had a letter criticising the Flood enquiry printed in the Independent. In October 1869 he became a councillor for the St Peters Ward, and by 1876 he had become an Alderman.

In December 1876 his eldest daughter Mary Ann died aged 38 (she was married to H Beal of London).

In March 1886 there was a theft from his shop of an Albert chain worth £4 15s. but the culprit was up before the magistrate.

In May 1891 his wife Mary passed away at 6 Victoria Road, Broomhall Park aged 80 years. Michael died a few days later without knowing of her death.

The shop was still in business in January 1896, members of his family having previously worked in the shop.

Many thanks for the responses on this topic. When the watch arrives, I'll post photos of it but I believe it is hallmarked for 1913. I can confirm this once the watch arrives

Presumably two different generations here :

Michael Beal, Watch and Clock maker & jeweller, 72 Fargate (1849-1852, maybe longer ...)

and Michael Beal, Watch Maker, 2 Market Place (1871-1925, maybe longer) - listed as Jewellers in 1871, listed as Watchmaker, Jeweller, Silversmith and Dealer in Diamonds in 1905).

so, need some idea of its age and, if at all possible a picture of the item please.

Here are some pictures. The watch is hallmarked 1913 and there is some engraving which suggest that it was James W Anderson's retirement present from his colleagues at GCR. what does GCR mmean

Here are some pictures. The watch is hallmarked 1913 and there is some engraving which suggest that it was James W Anderson's retirement present from his colleagues at GCR. what does GCR mmean

GCR. The Great Central Railway perhaps

Exellent photograps, thanks.

I think you are right with Great Central Railway! According to Wikipedia the GCR ran through Sheffield and Mr. Anderson would have been working for the GCR before his retirement. All the timings fit. Thanks so much!

It might help if someone can find this man in the 1901 and/or 1911 census.

James Wiley Anderson, 7 Skipton Road

showing as "Foreman" in 1905, Railway Inspector in 1911, 1919 - no trade listed (probably because he was retired) but same address.

It might help if someone can find this man in the 1901 and/or 1911 census.

James Wiley Anderson, 7 Skipton Road

showing as "Foreman" in 1905, Railway Inspector in 1911, 1919 - no trade listed (probably because he was retired) but same address.

Whoa, your one step ahead of me!

I have checked the 1911 census and as you say James Wiley Anderson of 7 Skipton Road, did indeed work as a gas fitter for a railway company which is more than likely the GCR.. The 1911 census gives his age as 60 which is about right if he retired in1915. This is the man who was given the watch on his retirement. Everything seems to fit.

Only the one step ?, how disappointing ...

I'll give you chance to get a couple of steps ahead of me. Look at my posting on "JGGraves teaspoons" if you like a challenge but give me 5 mins to post it. Cheers!

and here is a great leap into the unknown and indeed unproveable ...

James Whilley Anderson, marriage September 1875, Sheffield (Volume 9c, page 679) - spelling as per transcription on FreeBDM.org.uk

James W Anderson, aged 70, death September 1920, Sheffield (Volume 9c, page 517)

Well, Thanks to all perhaps especially RichardB.

Here we have a watch given to James W Anderson (probably 1850-1920), and resident at 7 Skipton Road, Sheffield on his retirement from the Great Central Railway in 1915 where it would seem that he worked as a gas fitter (1911 census). The watch was bought by his work colleagues From M. Beal 0f Sheffield and made between 1912 and 1913. Mr Anderson it seems achieved his three score and ten years and lived five years after retirement to enjoy his watch!

Happy ending!