Who Was The Burgoyne In Burgoyne Arms And Burgoyne Street In Walkley

Ratter

Newish (again) to the site ... so apologies if this has been discussed before! I can't seem to find any reference as to who this person was.

Don't apologise Ratter, a good question! I'd always assumed it was after General Burgoyne, though it seemed unlikely as he was the General who surrendered all his troops to the rebels in the American War of Independence!

So having looked it up, it appears they're named after the Burgoyne family who were Lords of the manor of Owlerton from the late 18th Century, when Catherine Burton, lady of the Manor married Sir Roger Montagu Burgoyne of Sutton Park in Bedfordshire. She gave the Manor to her second son, Montagu George Burgoyne, in 1853.

Montagu George Burgoyne, born 09 January 1808 in Sutton, Bedfordshire.; died 09 February 1895.

He married (1) Louisa Theodosia Frances Vernon 13 December 1855 in Holy Trinity, Clapham, Surrey.; born 1811.

He married (2) Sarah Lounds 13 January 1876; born 1828.

Notes for Montagu George Burgoyne:Born 1808 Baptism: 17 March 1808, Sandy, Bedfordshire.

Generation 13 - Source

Don't apologise Ratter, a good question! I'd always assumed it was after General Burgoyne, though it seemed unlikely as he was the General who surrendered all his troops to the rebels in the American War of Independence!

So having looked it up, it appears they're named after the Burgoyne family who were Lords of the manor of Owlerton from the late 18th Century, when Catherine Burton, lady of the Manor married Sir Roger Montagu Burgoyne of Sutton Park in Bedfordshire. She gave the Manor to her second son, Montagu George Burgoyne, in 1853.

Excellent stuff ... Thank you. I post photographs on the Geograph site and like to add explanations where possible ... And I was out and about Burgoyne Street last weekend. Thanks again.

In 1850 Lady Burgoyne vetoed the proposed New Road up the Rivelin Valley which was going to start at the Barracks and run through her fields, adjacent to the Barracks, by refusing to sell any land for the roadbuilding.

And three years later gave the Manor to her son. Apparently an absentee landlord living in Bedfordshire, but keeping the old place up to snuff for the son and heir!