Sharrow Cycling Club

RichardB

For your interest I am posting the sports medals won by the old Sheffield comedian "Stainless Stephen" He was a member of the Sharrow Cycling Club and left his medals to the club in his will. Only the Bowling Average, Squadron Race, USC and the unengraved ones do not seem to be related to his cycle racing career.

This composite photograph is on ebay at the moment (£50+).  The Pomona Hotel is at the center, and I presume many of the other places shown are at the destinations of runs out.

58998d388cfbb_SharrowCC.thumb.png.bd18634613e29e589ed761dee4b13afa.png

6 hours ago, Edmund said:

This composite photograph is on ebay at the moment (£50+).  The Pomona Hotel is at the center, and I presume many of the other places shown are at the destinations of runs out.

58998d388cfbb_SharrowCC.thumb.png.bd18634613e29e589ed761dee4b13afa.png

The Sharrow CC has many of these pictures in the two 19th century photograph albums. Some of the pictures are on "Picture Sheffield" due to the albums having been stolen for a time, the thief let them copy them before he put the albums in an auction. Fortunately the club was told about them being in the auction and recovered them. Therefore the club would not want to purchase them as we have the originals without the 2 black marks across these pictures.

130 th Anniversary of the Sharrow Cycling Club.

Club members start a club run from the corner of Rundle Road, the place where the club was first formed in 1887

130year photo 2.jpg

Sharrow Cycling club history written up to the 99th year. A printed copy has been lodged with the Sheffield Records Office and copies on CD distributed to interested club members. Copies in MS Word on cd available on request.

• Like 1

Greetings from Thornhill, Ontario Canada.  

For a fellow Cycle Historian friend I am trying to find out a bit of intormation on the Sharrow Cycling Club which was formed in the late 1880s.   Might anyone know who would have been the :President/Chairman  during the 1920/30’s.  My friend lives in Sheffield and has asked me for this information.  IF you would be so kind, PLEASE reply directly to me via email

>>  lorne-shields@rogers.com

Thanks for any courtesies.

Lorne Shields 

The Sharrow Cycling club used to organise "The Sharrow Sports" bicycle track racing on the track that used to be around the cricket pitch at Bramall Lane in the late 1800's Here are a few pictures from the club album.

1m pro scratch.jpg

2bhall lane track.jpg

10 mile 1897.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1