501 Glossop Road, Broomhill

Dave Hitchborne

After reading this article of mine, https://sites.google.com/site/sheffieldsouthyorkshire/Home someone contacted me about the building known as Vittles, 501 Glossop Road, Broomhill.

The building doesn't show in the 1935 Kelly's Directory for Sheffield, (Stops at no.499) but does show in the 1965 Kelly's, so it had to be built between those years. I'm guessing pre-1957, but could be well off the mark. In the 1965 Kelly's it was, Interior Decorations of Broomhill, Ltd.

Question is, please, does anyone know when this building was built?

Regards, Dave

Thank you all for an excellent responce. So from 1890 to 1923, it seems that particular site was only partially used. In 1953 it was empty and possibly so in 1956. I started work in Broomhill in 1957, so I may be correct in assuming pre-1957 as the build date, but of course I can't be sure. Looking forward to seeing the results of the 1957 Kelly's.

Thanks again. Regards, Dave

1957 stops at number 499. Norman Hemmingfield & Co., Chartered Accountants.

Thank you all for an excellent responce. So from 1890 to 1923, it seems that particular site was only partially used. In 1953 it was empty and possibly so in 1956. I started work in Broomhill in 1957, so I may be correct in assuming pre-1957 as the build date, but of course I can't be sure. Looking forward to seeing the results of the 1957 Kelly's.

Thanks again. Regards, Dave

Hello

Thanks for that. Would I be correct in thinking that the information for the 1957 Kelly's and 1957 maps would have been gathered in the previous year? Any idea how to get hold of 1958's, please?

Regards, Dave

A recent photo of St Thomas, Crookes

Yes, trade directories information is always going to be the best part of a year out.

Anyone got access to a 1958 or 1959 directory please ?

Hello

Thanks for that. Would I be correct in thinking that the information for the 1957 Kelly's and 1957 maps would have been gathered in the previous year? Any idea how to get hold of 1958's, please?

Regards, Dave

A recent photo of St Thomas, Crookes