Pheasant At Sheffield Lane Top

Lyn 1

Shame, favourite pub of my "Uncle Joe", actually my Grandmothers second husband, but, always known as Uncle Joe.

Joseph Bull and Flo.

The Pheasant is all boarded up. Has been to let for a while. Is it the beginning of the end for this historic pub?

Lyn

My Father was a regular in the Pheasant and so was I it's just like somebody was removing our past..

• Like 1

Got to be one of the best pubs in Sheffield...Great Tap room Great Lounge area, and a fab Live room of which I have ventured too many times to mention to watch bands and with my sons band too. So many memories of this pub. Its very sad that this could be the end for it.

• Like 1

Guest Barbara M

My husband will be upset to hear this as he & his best man went in there for his last drink as a free man on his way to St Pats for our wedding in 1966 !!!

Sad...I had an old 'photo of Lane Top... at a crossing of two very rough cart tracks... and there was a Pheasant there even then but not the present one which I believe dates back to the 1920s. The lounge was one of the last places, I remember, where waiters, in natty white John Smiths jackets delivered drinks to your table and collected empties. "Select" as my Dad would say!

In the Star today the historic Pheasant pub is likely to become a mosque.

Lyn

Does that mean we can expect another visit from the EDL?

Update on the Pheasant. Metal railings have been taken down so the pub is vulnerable. The demolition request was made by QFM group who are here http://www.qfm-group.com/  

http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

So KFC are still attempting to get permission to demolish on the grounds it is to dilapidated and uneconomical to refurbish but with a decision of 8th July 2015 and it was refused yet again. They have been trying for nearly two years now. 

Worrying they have taken down the security fencing such as it was.

Lyn 

Update on the Pheasant. Metal railings have been taken down so the pub is vulnerable. The demolition request was made by QFM group who are here http://www.qfm-group.com/  

http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

So KFC are still attempting to get permission to demolish on the grounds it is to dilapidated and uneconomical to refurbish but with a decision of 8th July 2015 and it was refused yet again. They have been trying for nearly two years now. 

Worrying they have taken down the security fencing such as it was.

Lyn 

Does this mean there will be a suspicious fire one night ??

Precisely my thoughts given that it is shortly school holidays too. The old ESC club house on Shiregreen Lane has been badly vandalised after being left empty for only a short time.

Pressure is needed to get the security fencing back up around the Pheasant.

I have already made my local Councillor aware of it if anyone else is interested in adding their twopenn'orth

Lyn 

aka Mrs Cynical 

This place is still a mess - owners won't do anything about it, Council won't/cannot enforce. Fly tipping a frequent problem. Cannot be listed because it has UPVC window frames. 

So very sad. ESC Sports Club was the place where, in the 1950's I went every Saturday with my parents to the dance and the Pheasant was the family local. Perhaps after the War people had more respect for property than they do today!

I worked at ESC 1960 - 1968 . Played tennis twice a week at the club  & we also had R&D Indoor games competition every year.  It really was a great club.  Watched cricket there too.

Hi Johnm, Joined the site ages ago and only just got back on. I also worked at ESC from leaving school in Jan 1960 and was placed in the progress office of the Bar Mills under the manager Mr.Simpson and the office head Arthur (forget his surname). Each Thursday we had to go to the machine training shop under a Mr. Taberner or Tavener. No point going on if you weren't in this department, but let me know your memories.

On 3/20/2016 at 20:18, Fiddlestick said:

Hi Johnm, Joined the site ages ago and only just got back on. I also worked at ESC from leaving school in Jan 1960 and was placed in the progress office of the Bar Mills under the manager Mr.Simpson and the office head Arthur (forget his surname). Each Thursday we had to go to the machine training shop under a Mr. Taberner or Tavener. No point going on if you weren't in this department, but let me know your memories.

i started in the light press in 63,and remember going to training shop every wednesday we called  the instructor Tabby,after probation year became app. trician..redundant in 85 .The club was a great place.

Did you find that 'Tabby' got a little too close and pressed against you when showing how to work a machine in the training shop?!

On 3/20/2016 at 20:18, Fiddlestick said:

i started in the light press in 63,and remember going to training shop every wednesday we called  the instructor Tabby,after probation year became app. trician..redundant in 85 .The club was a great place.

On 08/03/2016 at 09:08, lysander said:

So very sad. ESC Sports Club was the place where, in the 1950's I went every Saturday with my parents to the dance and the Pheasant was the family local. Perhaps after the War people had more respect for property than they do today!

I started at English Steel's Light Press in 1963 as a Probationary Apprentice where we worked as gofers and general dogsbodies for the Sheet Metal Workers.  The best job I ever had was when the manager, Jack Kersley, sent me, my mate Mick Ladlow and John Fearnley to whitewash the cricket screens at the Sport's Club.  The weather was glorious and boy did we spin that job out.  My mother and step-father virtually lived there in the late 70's.