Trying To Find An Answer.

syrup

Perhaps some one can help me with this item, It looks to me possibly German but i can find nothing on any German Memoribilia Websites

that even looks simular, it is pressed copper 1" 5/8 across and 2" 3/8 high, Hope you can help.

Try Italian sites, unless I'm much mistaken that's Mussolini, with the fasces at the bottom.

Thanks for your reply i have just been looking at Italian and Roman sites and as per your

sugestion and i can not find anything to match mine simular but not same.

What is the eagle perched on, it looks like the muzzle a gatling gun to me ?

Its a fasces which is a bundle of sticks and an axe bound together which is a symbol of Fascism.

Presumably DVX is a Roman numeral and would be the number 505.

Other sites on the Internet quote DVX as being 515 , but 515 would be DXV.

Is there any significance to the number 505 to do with Mussolini and Italian politics of the 1930's-40's?

Presumably DVX is a Roman numeral and would be the number 505.

Other sites on the Internet quote DVX as being 515 , but 515 would be DXV.

Is there any significance to the number 505 to do with Mussolini and Italian politics of the 1930's-40's?

You've been reading too much Dan Brown Dave. Mussolini gave himself the title Il Duce, the Leader, just like Hitler styled himself Der Fuhrer. Both mean the Leader, and Dux is the latin form of Duce. (or DVX in Roman script).

You've been reading too much Dan Brown Dave. Mussolini gave himself the title Il Duce, the Leader, just like Hitler styled himself Der Fuhrer. Both mean the Leader, and Dux is the latin form of Duce. (or DVX in Roman script).

I did wonder, as DVX is a very long winded way of writing 505, the more usual version would be simply DV. (a bit like writing 9 as VIIII or VIV instead of the more usual IX)

But using a V as a U, - I didn't think modern day Italians (by that I mean since Italy became a country in its own right after the unification in the 1860's) used Latin naming even though there modern language is very strongly Latin based.

However, having said that, I suspect that Mussolini, having become "Il Duce" the leader of Italy would be arrogant and vain enough to compare himself to the Caesars and the Emperors of Rome from the Roman Empire.

That photo in post #1 does look a bit "Roman" in many ways, but clearly more modern.

I did not think when I posted this question it could get so complicated, I am most gratefully for all your help

It all makes sense so I can only assume that this item must be unique as i can't seem to find another like it.

So where do I look next ?.

The Museum have regular open sessions with the Small Finds expert where you take along things you've found to try to get them identified. They usually deal with things you've found, e.g. by metal detectorists etc, so it may depend how you came by it whether they can help. It might be worth giving them a ring though.

Have you any idea what it is syrup? Any clues from the similar ones you've found?

So where do I look next ?.

Obvious answer seems like somewhere in Italy as it seems to be an historical Italian artefact from mid 20th century (Mussolini), even though the Italians themselves by and large seem to have renounced Mussolini in the same way that the Germans have Hitler. It is probably a part of their history they would rather forget.

I am sure though that the answer will be much closer to home.

You never said where you got this item from or how you came by it, - there may be a clue in that even if you didn't bring it back from Italy yourself.

Obvious answer seems like somewhere in Italy as it seems to be an historical Italian artefact from mid 20th century (Mussolini), even though the Italians themselves by and large seem to have renounced Mussolini in the same way that the Germans have Hitler. It is probably a part of their history they would rather forget.

I am sure though that the answer will be much closer to home.

You never said where you got this item from or how you came by it, - there may be a clue in that even if you didn't bring it back from Italy yourself.

The Museum have regular open sessions with the Small Finds expert where you take along things you've found to try to get them identified. They usually deal with things you've found, e.g. by metal detectorists etc, so it may depend how you came by it whether they can help. It might be worth giving them a ring though.

Have you any idea what it is syrup? Any clues from the similar ones you've found?

Thanks for all your help this item is something that has been passed down from my late Parents along with War memorabilia Medals and badges and the like. my Father served in the RAF in Egypt and surounding desert areas WW2 and my grandmothers brothers served in the Navy and possibly Army in WW1 anymore than that I don't know.

Sounds like your Dad may have picked it up in North Africa then. Mussolini declared Lybia as part of the new Italian Empire he was founding, and there were all sorts of grandiose statues of himself, triumphal arches etc erected. Didn't last long though!

Sounds like your Dad may have picked it up in North Africa then. Mussolini declared Lybia as part of the new Italian Empire he was founding, and there were all sorts of grandiose statues of himself, triumphal arches etc erected. Didn't last long though!

Yes more than likely from North Africa then.

As Bayleaf says, Libya was part of Mussolini's Italian empire and, as the allied invasion of southern europe, following Monty's desert rats (with RAF support) was from Egypt, through Libya, up Tunisa, island hoping to Sicily and then up the Italian peninsula from toe to thigh before the war ended.

Libya, and Abyssinia (present day Ethiopia and Somalia) were Italian territories in Africa, but not Egypt and Sudan which divide them as these were British.

As a modern day legacy of this when I first visited Italy I found out to my cost that Italy, Libya and Ethiopia have their own electrical sockets which are very similar to standard European ones but sufficiently different for some adaptor plugs not to fit! Its the spacing and and diameter of the pins / holes which are very slightly different. I managed to hire a compatible plug at the hotel we were staying at for just a refundable deposit of 10 Euro, but next time we went I made sure I had a compatible Italian plug, - some Euro adaptors do fit and spacifically list Italy as a country they can be used in.

I have checked that many sites i am starting to get cross eyed all the information makes sense, I have found coins online depicting Mussolini DVX with his

head facing left and not to the right like this one, and all items showing an Eagle perched on a fasces show the axe facing down not up like on mine ??