William Reaney Killed By James Reddish, But Where? 1857

duckweed

I then came on my way home and called at William Boot's public-house at Heely on business and drank part of a pint of ale. I staid a few minutes and proceeded on my way. On arriving a little way from Derbyshire Lane, William Reaney and James Reddish overtook me. I accosted them first, saying

' You are come up.'

On arriving at Derbyshire Lane a pot cart passed us, and Reddish got up behind and left me and William Reaney a short distance, and we came on together for about 200 yards, when William Reaney flew at me, struck me on the side of the head, and knocked me down. Whilst I was down he shouted out for ' wee pipe.' At the same time he gave me several punches upon the ribs. He then bent down over me, and I felt his hand about my face, and I bit his thumb. When down I asked him what he was going to do, and he said

' Blast thee, I will show thee what I am going to do.'

At that time Reddish came back and Reaney told him I had bit him. Reddish replied,

'Blast him. Punch his bloody guts out.'

I then cried out murder several times. I received several more kicks, but do not know which of them gave them to me ; they then both ran away. I got up and came forwards towards home. On arriving at the steps near the white houses I heard footsteps behind me. I was turning: round to see who it was, when I received a blow over the head and was knocked down. Whilst down I was punched several times. I am certain I was kicked by two men.

I again cried out murder, and they gave over, and I raised myself up and saw Reaney cross the road and jump over into Gillott's field. I then got up and came on to the club house at Mrs. Siddon's, After stopping there I came home, and have not been out of bed since. I had not drank in the whole more than three pints of ale, and felt quite sober, and gave the prisoners no other provocation than what I have stated above. I have made this statement believing I shall not recover. William Reaney."

Any idea whereabouts Mrs Siddons was? and Gillott's field? This is from an appeal about a judgement of a murder in November 1857.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent. Supplement, Wednesday, January 31, 1857;

This would place the attack at October 1856 ? Or was November 1857 the final judgement mentioned in the article? That would be a heck of a wait from the appeal being turned down in January. And we think the courts move slowly now!

Seems to be some confusion regarding the name Seddon & Siddons here ...

842 Chesterfield Road, S8.

842 Chesterfield Road, S8

White's 1857 .. Masons’ Arms, Ann Siddons (page 765)

I may have mixed up the dates.

I came to the conclusion that it had to be Ann Siddons Masons Arms/ Big Tree but Gillots field I thought was at the bottom of Derbyshire Lane ( I am assuming that it is Richards Gillots Farm) and that is a heck of a way for a guy with a broken spine to get to as it seems to state he was set upon in Derbyshire Lane.

I looked on records re census etc. There are a lot of William Reaneys. I'm collecting stories with a local theme especially Derbyshire lane. And especially criminal.

11th October, circa 7pm - William Reaney (the victim) called in at Beighton's public house in Little Sheffield.

(Barrel, 123 London Road, William Beighton, 1850's)

Not sure where William Boot's at Heely was.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s12444&pos=2&action=zoom

I've been looking at 1861 census and Mrs Seddon or Siddons was not proprietor of the Mason Arms then. She was a Beerhouse keeper but much nearer to the scene of the crime. The area involved must be round the area of the brickworks as this is where William Reaney's widow is amongst the brickmakers and near to Mrs Seddons. The farmer's field would seem to be Samuel Gillott's which seems to be down at the bottom of Derbyshire Lane. In A brief History of Scarsdale House by Lucy Walker she says Gillats farm (the spellings seem to be interchangeable) was at the bottom of Scarsdale Road.

Not sure where William Boot's at Heely was.

No idea, but William Boot's farm was just over the road from the at Heeley

Checked near as I can - William Buxton, victualler of Shakespeare in 1852 ...

someone, soon should receive the 1860 Directory delivered to his door.

Checked near as I can - William Buxton, victualler of Shakespeare in 1852 ...

someone, soon should receive the 1860 Directory delivered to his door.

Perhaps 'William Boot's' was just a nick-name for a pub

Equally as likely Boot was the owner and just let Buxton get on with the day to day victualling of victuals.

Perhaps 'William Boot's' was just a nick-name for a pub

I looked on records re census etc. There are a lot of William Reaneys. I'm collecting stories with a local theme especially Derbyshire lane. And especially criminal.

Have you found these?

Sheffield & Rotherham Independent 23 May 1840

And the sentence, S & R Indep 4 July 1840

S&R Indep 14 Dec 1839

S&R Indep 7 Sept 1839

S&R Indep 30 Nov 1839

S&R Indep 27 Jun 1840

Rough old place that there Heeley!

No I haven't found them. I have found others around Heeley. By all accounts walking back from Sheffield could be very dangerous. Also a horendous murder in Smithy wood where a father decapitates his illegitimate son.