Picture Of Ww1 Soldier W A Cross Needed

Hi I'm new to the forum and wondered if anyone could help? I know Trefcon is on a break but noticed my granfather's name in the WW1 images list and wondered if anyone else has the same info? My grandfather died before I was born and was ill for many years due to being shot in the head during the war. The story goes that the soldier who rescued him from a shell-hole received a medal for bravery. My mum has no pictures if her father from this period and it would mean such a lot to her. His name was William Alfred Cross

Many thanks

Liz

Hi Liz,

There is a W A Cross Here and there is an image available

http://sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk/search4.php?id=223111

Can't say for certain that it is your relative, but, worth a try

I have another question and wondered if someone could point me in the right direction? I now have some information from William's medal card and Silver War Badge card which I've written below. I'd really like to find out more infromation about his injuries, what happened and when, which battle for example. I'm not sure if this info would exist anywhere but would be very grateful for any pointers.

William Alfred Cross

Private - West Yorks Regiment

Regimental number : 12818

Enlisted 5/9/14

Discharged : 23/10/16 (wounds 392 XV1)

Date of entry to theatre of war : 26/8/15

Thanks Liz

Hi Liz

If any other WW1papers exist for your grandfather they would be on Ancestry. If they do not that will means they were probably destroyed during bombing in WW2. I have a couple of relatives were their papers do still exist and they do detail dates of injuries and include doctors examinations etc.

I think you could try and see if you could locate a battalion war diary especially if, as you mention a comrade received a medal that could possible record details of the battle & incident?

I have another question and wondered if someone could point me in the right direction? I now have some information from William's medal card and Silver War Badge card which I've written below. I'd really like to find out more infromation about his injuries, what happened and when, which battle for example. I'm not sure if this info would exist anywhere but would be very grateful for any pointers.

William Alfred Cross

Private - West Yorks Regiment

Regimental number : 12818

Enlisted 5/9/14

Discharged : 23/10/16 (wounds 392 XV1)

Date of entry to theatre of war : 26/8/15

Thanks Liz

It is possible he was in this lot as the date of "entry to theatre of war" is the same date as they landed at le havre

11th (Service) Battalion

Formed at York on 10 October 1914 as part of K3 and came under orders of 69th Brigade, 23rd Division.

26 August 1915 : landed at Le Havre.

November 1917 : transferred with Division to Italy.

If this is correct this may help :

The 11th (Service) Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) was formed at York, on 10th October 1914, as part of Kitchener's Third Army. They joined 69th Brigade, 23rd Division. 23rd Division was established in September 1914 as part of Kitchener's Third New Army, and concentrated in Hampshire in September with 68th Brigade at Bullswater. As the winter set in, the Division moved to Aldershot. At the end of February 1915 they moved to Shorncliffe, Kent, and some of the infantry were engaged in constructing defences to the south of London in April and May, before the Division moved to Bordon, Hampshire at the end of the month. They proceeded to France in the third week of August, landing at Boulogne and concentrating near Tilques. On the 5th of September 23rd Division became attached to III Corps, moving to the Merris-Vieux Berquin area, for trench familiarisation under the guidance of the 20th (Light) and 27th Divisions. They took over front line sector between Ferme Grande Flamengrie to the Armentieres-Wez Macquart road in their own right on the 14th. During the Battle of Loos CIII and CV Brigades RFA were in action attached to 8th Division. With 23rd Division holding the front at Bois Grenier, they were relieved from that sector at the end of January 1916 and Divisional HQ was established at Blaringhem with the units concentrated around Bruay for a period of rest. On the 3rd of March they returned to the front line, taking over a sector between the Boyau de l'Ersatz and the Souchez River from the French 17th Division, with the Artillery taking over an exposed position between Carency and Bois de Bouvigny where it was subjected to heavy shelling. In early March a Tunnelling Company was established and men with a background in mining were transferred from the ranks to the Royal Engineers. In Mid April they returned to Bruay area for rest until mid May when they again took over the Souchez-Angres front, just before the German Attack on Vimy Ridge on the 21st. The brunt of the attack fell on 47th (London) Division, to the right of 23rd Division and the 23rd Divisional Artillery went into action in support of the 47th. On the 1st of June the Artillery supported 2nd Division as they undertook operations to recover lost ground. On the 11th of June the 23rd Division Infantry moved to Bomy and the artillery to Chamblain Chatelain and Therouanne to begin intensive training for the Battles of the Somme. They were in action in The Battle of Albert including the capture of Contalmaison, The Battles of Bazentin Ridge, Pozieres, Flers-Courcelette, Morval and The Battle of Le Transloy including the capture of Le Sars. In 1917 they fought in The Battle of Messines, The Battles of the Menin Road, Polygon Wood and the The First and Second Battles of Passchendaele. In November 1917 the Division moved to Italy concentrating between Mantua and Marcaria before taking over the front line at the Montello on the 4th of December. In 1918 they were in action during the fighting on the Asiago Plateau and the Battle of Vittorio Veneto, including the passage of the Piave and the Monticano. At the Italian Armistice at 3pm on the 4th of November, the 23rd were midway between the Rivers Livenza and Meduna, east of Sacile. They moved to billets west of Treviso and demobilisation took place in January and February 1919.

Thanks so much for your help. William had been a pit pony boy and then a miner, I wonder if he was involved in the tunnelling? I will read up on battalions, divisions and brigades as I'm not sure how they fit together.

Its given me something to go on, thanks for taking the time to help.

Liz

Thanks so much for your help. William had been a pit pony boy and then a miner, I wonder if he was involved in the tunnelling? I will read up on battalions, divisions and brigades as I'm not sure how they fit together.

Its given me something to go on, thanks for taking the time to help.

Liz

That is interesting - look up "Hill 60" and the training/prepartions for it which took place near Sheffield. Have you read the novel "Birdsong".?

Taking your advice that William may have been with the 11th Service Battalion I have downloaded a war diary which covers that battalion and the period he was there. It doesn't mention ranks by name other than officers so far but is interesting.