Carfield Infant And Junior School

Guest kentblade

Guest kenfozzy

Hi, I was at Carfield for all my education. Started infants 1949, finished seniors 31st. March 1959. Started work 1st. April 1959 Joseph Fearneough and Sons. Portobello. Opposite what was Jessop Hospital For Women.

Kenfozzy

Ken Foster

Guest kentblade

You were following me on then.3 years later.

I wonder if the same teachers and head were there for you.

Mr Flower ring any bells.

I went to the upper school in 1952 but it transferred to Meadow Head that year and became Rowlinson Secondary Technical school.

I still have my junior form class photo, but strange that I have never come across anyone who attended in my era.

Best wishes to you in Cornwall.

Guest phil106

I went there from 1960 - 66 and Mr Chandler was still the head then - he always wore a fresh carnation in his jacket. Mr Vasey retired in my last year, so you might remember him. Bad tempered with a bad leg, as I remember.....Other teachers I remember (who seemed "old" at the time), were Miss Lydiard ( a bit of a dragon, but she must have been a Blade, cos she used to regale us with stories of Jimmy Hagen) and Miss Wilson.

My father also went there ( before the war, when it was Carfield County) as did my daughter, for a couple of years, in the late 70s - so it's seen 3 generations of my family

Guest phil106

I went there from 1960 - 66 and Mr Chandler was still the head then - he always wore a fresh carnation in his jacket. Mr Vasey retired in my last year, so you might remember him. Bad tempered with a bad leg, as I remember.....Other teachers I remember (who seemed "old" at the time), were Miss Lydiard ( a bit of a dragon, but she must have been a Blade, cos she used to regale us with stories of Jimmy Hagen) and Miss Wilson.

My father also went there ( before the war, when it was Carfield County) as did my daughter, for a couple of years, in the late 70s - so it's seen 3 generations of my family

I went to Carfield infants and juniors, left in 1970. I was in Miss Lydiard's class in the 2nd and 3rd year, at the end of which she retired. Far from being a dragon she was a lovely lady. Mr Vasey retired several times as I remember. Mr Chandler was still headmaster. I can remember a lot from my time there and have to say it was a great school and I enjoyed every minute of it. Pity the same can't be said of where I went next.

My mum went to Carfield too, infants, juniors and seniors too, in the 30s and 40s. Miss Lydiard was there then too.

Mr Bloxham was my last teacher. His classroom was up in the huts. He took us swimming at Heeley baths with Mr Wall (Mrs Wall was a teacher in the infants).

Mr Bloxham lived out at Bamford, drove a VW Beetle and used to take us to the open air baths there in the summer. Quite a few of us stayed in touch with him for many years after we left Carfield.

I was there from 1955 to 1958 having transferred from Meersbrook Bank Juniors. I remember Mr Collinson, Miss Holdsworth, "Pop" Flowers, Miss Lidyard,

Miss Makinson (became Mrs Sheldon) & of course Mr Chandler. The teacher who made the biggest impression on me was Mr Vasey. He worked his socks off to get all 50 pupils in class 4A 1957-58 through the 11+.

Does anyone remember those tiny hand signals Mr Chandler used to get us to stand up & sit down during assembly? Also we were told to swallow if we felt the urge to cough during assembly.

The one teacher I disliked was Mr Ainsworth. He used to stand in for Stan Vasey sometimes. He never smiled & was all too ready to cane us for the slightest reason.

I went to Carfield Infant and Junior School from 1945 to 1951. However when I left the Infant school I went to the annex on Gleadless Road, building still there.

The head teacher at the infant school was Mrs Bingham

Teachers at the annex

J1 Mrs Broncs

J2 Mr Flowers

J3/ J4 Mrs Jones or Mr Vasey (who also acted as Head).

We went to Heeley Baths every Friday morning and walked to the Argyle Road (by ourselves about 6 or seven, boys only) to walk with the other boys. Then walked back to Gleadless Road

Guest kentblade

I went to Carfield Infant and Junior School from 1945 to 1951. However when I left the Infant school I went to the annex on Gleadless Road, building still there.

The head teacher at the infant school was Mrs Bingham

Teachers at the annex

J1 Mrs Broncs

J2 Mr Flowers

J3/ J4 Mrs Jones or Mr Vasey (who also acted as Head).

We went to Heeley Baths every Friday morning and walked to the Argyle Road (by ourselves about 6 or seven, boys only) to walk with the other boys. Then walked back to Gleadless Road

You are the only person I have come across who was at the Carfield during my time.

I would love to know your name,we might have been in the same class.

Cannot recall an annex as I went to the secondary school next to the junior school and then onto Rowlinson at Meadowhead, or Dyche Lane to be precise.The head teacher at Carfield secondary was Mr Kay and he became head at Rowlinson.

My name is Patrick Judson.

I started at the infant school in 1957. I remember one of the teachers was Mrs Cell/Sell. My sister did maypole dancing when she was in the infants.

I was at the Junior school from 1959 to 1963.

Junior school teachers  Miss Dean J1, can't remember J2 and Miss Lydiard  J 3 & 4.

Mr Vasey was deputy head and Mr Chandler was head.

Mr Chandler wrote maths exercise books which he sold to parent of children who needed extra practise. You did a page or two as homework and then took it to him to be marked.

Mrs Gordon was the music teacher. An entire year group would go into the prefab classroom up the steps in the boys' yard and do singing lessons.

Mrs Gordon taught us traditional songs such as Men of Harlech and The Skye Boat Song. She taught our year all the songs from the Gilbert and Sullivan Operetta " The Gondoliers " with the intention of putting on a show. Then she left and went to work at Newfield. A couple of years later I saw an advert for "The Gondoliers" show being put on by the pupils of Newfield!

My sister was taught by Mr Bloxham in J3&4.

When he retired he worked in a garden centre somewhere near Derwent Water.

I went 1945 to 1950, however 4 years were at the Annex on Gleadless Road, Heeley Green. Teachers Mr Vasey, Mr Flowers, Mrs Jones, Mrs Bronks

On 03/09/2017 at 21:17, Wayfarer said:

I went 1945 to 1950, however 4 years were at the Annex on Gleadless Road, Heeley Green. Teachers Mr Vasey, Mr Flowers, Mrs Jones, Mrs Bronks

I also went to that Annex in the late 40's +-. We used to put our little Milk bottles next to the fire to warm up ready for lunch break. At break times we played in the Air Raid shelters out back. Good memories.I lived at the top of Kent Hill (Road)

!st 11_1.jpg

I played rugby whilst in the seniors. I wonder if any of my old pals or team mates are still alive. They must all be in their 80's now.

I went to Carfield in the early 80s. Didn't have many fond memories as I was bullied a lot and girls always wanted to fight with me after school. All repeated itself when I went Newfield some years later. 

I went to Carfield Infant and Junior between 1948 and 1954. I remember Miss Wilson in the infants and Mrs Gagan and then I had Miss Lydiard for 3 years in the juniors. She was a brilliant teacher but very strict! I also remember Mr Vasey and Miss Rubery. I became a primary teacher but am myself long retired. I still do maths exam marking though. Harry Yun and Brenda Moaksome were in my class. 

I have found this article in a 1950s newspaper referring to Carfield Secondary School with some pupils mentioned.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 28 August 1950

Sheffield 1A.JPG

Sheffield 2A.JPG

I went to Carfield infants in 1946 and then to Gleadless Rd Annex in 1948 until 1952. I remember Mr Flowers and Mr Vasey. I lived on Kent Rd almost opposite Cambridge Rd. I am adding a school photo taken early 1952 before splitting up after the 11+. If anyone recognises themselves, I would love to hear from them. I am 2nd from the right back row as you look at the photo.

School photo.jpg

A little before my time, I lived at 13 Kent Road from 1948 to 1967.  Went to Anns Road and then to Newfield.  Sorry I don't recognise anyone but attached is a map with with some of the family names I remember.  Hope I've done it right as I'm new to this.  Maybe it's of interest.EPSON056.thumb.JPG.29d3a49dda58e5e288814cad6019385e.JPG