Tinsley Rolling Mills

peterwarr

Can anyone help me about Tinsley Rolling Mills, please?

1. Where were they? In Tinsley presumably, but I specifically need to know whether they were in Sheffield or Rotherham.

2. What became of them and when?

With many thanks to someone.

Can anyone help me about Tinsley Rolling Mills, please?

1. Where were they? In Tinsley presumably, but I specifically need to know whether they were in Sheffield or Rotherham.

2. What became of them and when?

With many thanks to someone.

From Kelly's directory of Sheffield, 1925.

Tinsley Roiling Mills Co. Limited, steel rollers, Tinsley.

T A " Bevels, Tinsley," T Nos: 471

Central & 147 Attercliffe.

--------------------------------

Sheffield Road, to Rotherham boundary.

Kelly's 1965.

Sheffield Road;

..... Wharf Road .....

Tinsley Rolling Mills Co,. Ltd. steel rollers.

291 Midland Bank Ltd. (sub-branch to Rotherham).

Steel Rollers.

Tinsley Rolling Mills Co,. Ltd. (The) Tinsley; special sections, spring steels.

Many thanks to everyone.

I was intrigued by the unlikely non-industrial neighbours in 1925 – a milliner and a bank. No “zoning” at that period, presumably.

Peter

I worked at Tinsley Rolling Mills for six weeks in 1967 I was 15 and had just left school, my then sister-in-law worked in the main offices and it was through her I got the interview but I knew from the off I wasn't suited to it and the personnel manager also knew but told me I could have the job if I wanted but it wasn't really the type of thing for me at that age.

My first week was on the shopfloor mashing tea for everyone and fetching beer from up the road for the men to drink, in those days they were allowed to drink beer because the conditions were so hot in the mill. The second and third weeks it was summer shutdown and we cleaned and painted the place whilst the maintenance guys serviced everything, on the last day of the shutdown the manager came into the mill to see me he told me they were moving me into the general stores to gain some works experience so I was then working in the stores.

I loved it in there it was a lot more interesting job and the guy I was working with was a lovely old chap called Jack, we very soon got on like a house on fire and it was great working in there, but by the end of the fifth week the manager came back to see me again and said I was to return to working in the mill again the following week. I knew in my heart I wasn't cut out for that kind of work so asked the manager was it possible I could stay in the stores, Jack was nearing retirement and I really loved the job but he said no there wasn't it was back into the rolling mill or on my bike, …. I chose the bike and left the following week, a short while later I got a job just down the road at Guest & Chrimes the water valve manufacturer in Rotherham as an apprentice lathe turner, it's nearing 50 years since I left but I have never forgotten old Jack and still often think of him now smoking his old pipe and stuttering badly like he did.

I went down to the site where it once stood on my bike yesterday and took some photographs, I go past it all the time with being a keen biker who loves the canal towpaths to keep fit, a lot of it is now hidden by natural overgrowth but the concrete base where I think the offices were is still there. The two bridges leading to both mills are still there as well, the works were located very next to the big viaduct at the Tinsley Roundabout end for anyone who didn't know and the canal and towpath ran by very near alongside.

http://bit.ly/UbXiIC

Wonderful pictures, Billy244! Some with the shadow of your bike, I see.

Many thanks.

Peter

Wonderful pictures, Billy244! Some with the shadow of your bike, I see.

Many thanks.

Peter

Yes Peter hard as I tried I couldn't hide my shadow in that very early low beautiful sunshine the other day lol.

Thanks for letting us view this Billy 244 , lovely memories.

Gone but not forgotten.

Thanks UkLady. :)

It’s an old topic but I was a manager there from 1959 until 1970 when it was taken over by Oliver Jessel and we were merged with Rotherham Forge( our chief rivals)to become Rotherham Tinsley Steels where I was Export Sales Manager.

I must have worked with ^Billy 244’s sister in law and ,who knows ,perhaps Billy and I passed one another as we crossed the river over our bridge..

The Tinsley Rolling Mills Co.Ltd ,to give its full title ,was a well run .,almost pleasant place of employment…with a set of Directors who were generally very fair and progressive…...which couldn’t be said of what it  it became

We had 2 large oil tanks nicknamed after our directors“Gilbert” and “John” ….both saw the humour and name plates were soon ordered from our joiners shop to adorn the  .tanks …such was the nature of our bosses who gave their staff a substantial bonus even one year when we made a loss through pursuing the production of a special section for the Ford Motor Co which the majority said was impractical but the Directors had their way!