Sheffield & The Great War

dunsbyowl1867

I am sure I know this bloke from somewhere ;-)

http://www.burngreavemessenger.org/archives/august-2012-issue-101/sheffield-and-the-great-war/

His website is excellent , a lot of work gone into that. lol

Http://www.sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk

Yes Dean (Trefcon) has really worked well on that site

Does it all himself without any help from any other members of Sheffield History as well.

That's why he hardly has time to do many posts on here any more.

lolhe he he he he he lol:P ;-)

Guest Trefcon

Selective editing from the Burngreave messenger there folks. Just for others, Stuart is the genius behind the site, with a large imput from madannie especially, and others on here.

Dean.

Very interesting site, and being an ex soldier I have a great interest in military history especially WW1 as my own grandfather was badly wounded on the Western Front.

I have been over to the western front several times visiting the many battlefields including "Sheffield Park" on the Somme, always a very moving experience.

Selective editing from the Burngreave messenger there folks. Just for others, Stuart is the genius behind the site, with a large imput from madannie especially, and others on here.

Dean.

Of course, joking aside, I was well aware of Stuart and madannies involvement in the site.

But you are far too modest Dean, as most of the information on the site has come from a lifetimes devotion and research from you, as many of us are aware.

Guest haystack

Very interesting site, and being an ex soldier I have a great interest in military history especially WW1 as my own grandfather was badly wounded on the Western Front.

I have been over to the western front several times visiting the many battlefields including "Sheffield Park" on the Somme, always a very moving experience.

As a local historian I'd also like to see what you found. Sounds really interesting. Know of anyone else doing same?

Hi There, this is the first time that I have been on since I last posted, so excuse my delayed response. I will try and get some pics up for you, but the problem I have at present is that the missis and I are in the throws of moving house. I am sure the married blokes out there will be familiar with how organised women are, so every time I want to put my hands on something, I find that she has already packed it away, but don't worry I will put her through a bit of the old tactical questioning in order to find the location.

I am unsure as to whether the training area at Hallam Moor has been detected before, but I know that there has been an archeological dig on there by a local World War 1 historical society. I was told this by the guy who's sheep graze the land, and whilst on there I actually found the spot where they had been investigating, and as a bonus found a few pound coins, enough for a couple of pints!

Pics to follow.

Guest haystack

Here you go some pics.

Excellent stuff. Any chance of a quick tour? Would love to see.

Good luck with the move

Hi Haystack, if you have transport, you will be able to go and explore yourself, just make your way up past Lodge Moor and keep going right up to Redmires dams. When you are driving at the side of the last dam (which will be on your left), just before you reach the bend, there is a small car park on your right, pull in and park up. Then walk to the path at the back of the car park, which if you followed it right across to the very end, it would bring you out on the A57 near Moscar.

However, after you get onto the path, about 50 yards up on your left hand side you will see the big mound of the old quarry workings. Make your way over to them,and then climb up onto the top, have a good look all around, and that is where you will see the zig zag markings on the ground in front and to the left of you which indicates the old trench workings, and it covers a fair old area!

If not sure get back in touch, and thanks for your best wishes with the house move. Being a Sheffielder born & bred, its a new beginning, as the missis and me are moving up on the coast to Seaham County Durham. She is a Durham lass, and after being with me all these years, especially during my 22 years in the army, she has always wanted to go back to what she calls "home". I guess after 44 years of being married to me she deserves it! You know us old soldiers, we can doss down anywhere, as long as we get our scoff and beer, what more do you need! ;-)

Guest haystack

I hear the beer is very good in Durham...Thanks for the directions - I'll pop up there when I next visit The Sportsman. I'm pretty sure I know where you mean.

Keep an eye on this forum and maybe we can chat even when you're miles away.

All the best