Beard, Tips ...

RichardB

I'm attempting to grow a beard.

This hopefully will be sculpted into something stupid looking for re-enactment purposes next year.

However, it itches tremendously, I've never managed it before on previous attempts. The wife telling me to shave off my miserable attempt(s) didn't help either.

So, any tips for getting past the itch so I can look very silly please ?

You great mincer RichardB, there's blokes mentioned on here that lost limbs/lives for their country, women who served also whilst having 28 chilrden.

Get a grip he he

I'm attempting to grow a beard.

This hopefully will be sculpted into something stupid looking for re-enactment purposes next year.

However, it itches tremendously, I've never managed it before on previous attempts. The wife telling me to shave off my miserable attempt(s) didn't help either.

So, any tips for getting past the itch so I can look very silly please ?

Best tip is don't bother growing one.

When I finally shaved mine off it was such a relief and good riddance to it!

It'll pass, give it time. I've had mine for over 40 years now. Grew it first at college, shaved it off for my wedding, then grew it again shortly after, and kept it ever since. I've been tempted to shave it off a few times, trouble is not even my own family would recognise me if I did, (not sure if I would!) with the possible exception of my wife. The kids have never seen me without it, let alone my grandaughter!

Best tip is don't bother growing one.

When I finally shaved mine off it was such a relief and good riddance to it!

I shaved mine off when I was at University nearing the end of my course and looking for job interviews (appearance makes a big difference)

On one memorable day in July 1976 I had 2 haircuts (one to get rid of the bulk, one to restyle) and 3 shaves (one with scissors to remove the bulk, one with cut-throat razor to get longer remnant off and one with safety razor to get really smooth finish)

The 2 photos were taken just a day or so apart, - what a difference it made!

..and at the risk of repeating myself it really was a good riddance and glad to be shut of all that hair. I have never been seriously tempted to regrow either my hair or a beard since.

A neat tidy beard is okay but sorry David H yours was just a 1970s style mess. My husband grew his when he had chicken pox in his 30s, courtesy of our son, and he couldn't shave. It suited him so it stayed.

Lyn

I'm kind of hoping for a Civil War era beard; don't mind if it looks silly/messy. Not trying for another job, work fully supportive of my re-enactment pretensions.

A neat tidy beard is okay but sorry David H yours was just a 1970s style mess. My husband grew his when he had chicken pox in his 30s, courtesy of our son, and he couldn't shave. It suited him so it stayed.

Lyn

Lyn

I wasn't out of place for the 1970's, and I was glad to be shut of it.

My wife is not a fan of men with facial hair so even if I fancied growing a better kept beard again I don't think she would aprove of the idea.

She isn't that keen on men with lots of body hair either, - she married a man not a gorrilla!

I'm kind of hoping for a Civil War era beard; don't mind if it looks silly/messy. Not trying for another job, work fully supportive of my re-enactment pretensions.

Come on then Richard, WHICH civil war is it and which side?

English / American?

Cavilier / Roundhead / Union / Confederate ?

If you are a Cavilier then King Charles I had a very distictive and smart beard, - until he was executed of course!

English Civil War - Royalist. Marston Moor and all that.

The very next action after Marston Moor was Lord Faixfar being sent off for The Queens Pocket Pistol to help in the taking of Sheffield Castle.

I'm not the King or of high birth, just a commoner (very) shoving some artillery around and making a lot of noise.

If you are a Cavilier then King Charles I had a very distictive and smart beard, - until he was executed of course!

English Civil War - Royalist. Marston Moor and all that.

The very next action after Marston Moor was Lord Faixfar being sent off for The Queens Pocket Pistol to help in the taking of Sheffield Castle.

On the wrong side then.

As my son in law comes from St. Ives in Cambridgeshire (not the one in Cornwall!), the birthplace of Oliver Cromwell, I am pretty much won over to the Parliamentarian cause. My youngest grandson is called Oliver after him.

Town centre, St. Ives, Cambridgeshire

Beard of various colours still with me.

Not quite sure what colour you had in mind Richard but I tried you with

a brown beard then a ginger but it didn't seem to suit you.

Not too concerned which which side; we just happen to be Royalist. When considering the cannon and modern elf & safety, we artillery types are always going to be as far away from the crowd as is possible, and, as such the "aim" is to get the timing right, move the piece as and when required (mainly just for show) and to make as much noise and smoke as possible - at the back "sides" don't really come into it.

Had a few beers with "the other side" - not bad fellows !

On the wrong side then.

As my son in law comes from St. Ives in Cambridgeshire (not the one in Cornwall!), the birthplace of Oliver Cromwell, I am pretty much won over to the Parliamentarian cause. My youngest grandson is called Oliver after him.

Town centre, St. Ives, Cambridgeshire

Had a few beers with "the other side" - not bad fellows !

Pity it's not the American Civil War then Richard.

You may be a little too young to remember this collection of collectable cards, a set of 88, issued in 1961 in America by Topps, to celebrate the centenary of the start of the war, and in Britain in 1965, to celebrate the centenary of the end of it.

Your quoted statement reminded me of this one, #52, Friendly Enemies

Not quite sure what colour you had in mind Richard but I tried you with

a brown beard then a ginger but it didn't seem to suit you.

Stop drawing on members photos, It's naughty !

Don't own the desired hat yet (TORM, Coventry, November); beard still covers a bit more around the jawline, not done anything with it yet.

Hat hopefully bigger, brown.

Stop drawing on members photos, It's naughty !

While Looking for something else i came across this article that encourages Beards..

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, December 24, 1853