Sir Thomas Glemham

RichardB

Any, and all information about this man, and his life/activities/anything at all most appreciated.

But the Wikipedia article is perhaps a little more accessible:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Glemham

Parish Record Collection - Marriage Record

Year:

Supplied Surname:

Glemham

Surname:

Glemham

Full First name:

Thomas

Supplied First Name:

Thomas

Spouse Surname:

Vanlore

Spouse Full First name:

Catherine

Spouse First Name:

Catherine

Place:

St Alphage London Wall

County:

London

Record source:

Boyd's Marriage Index 1538-1840

Colonel George Payne to Major General Brown.

Abingdon, April 29th 1646

Hon.Sir.-

The news of the king's going to London is constantly confirmed by all that come from Oxford; that he went out disguised in a montero and a hat upon it; that Sir Thomas Glemham (Govenor of Oxford) at his parting bid him

"Farewell Harry",

by which name it seems he goes.

There went with him only the Earl of Southampton, Dr. King and Mr. Ashburnham; that presently after his going out there was a great meeting in Oxford. Sir Thomas got some blows amongst the rout, and narrowly escaped with his life two or three times; Rupert and Maurice have both disbanded; the govenor is fain to keep a strong guard about him; their hopes are, he will be entertained in the city.

25th Maii 1646

A letter from Sir Thomas Faixfax General, of 22nd Maii 1646, with several intercepted letters inclosed, was this day read.

Also one of the intercepted letters, being from Sir Thomas Glemham, of 21st Maii 1646, to Mr Ashbournham, was likewise read.

16th August 1646 Sir Thomas Glemham to the speaker of the House of Commons.

Sir,-

Upon what terms I delivered Oxford to the honourable General, Sir Thomas Fairfax, the whole house of commons knows; they having by vote approved both of the articles, and the General's proceedings therein.

Yet I have, contrary to these articles, been since detained three weeks in a close prison, for redress whereof, I have ever since been a suitor to the honourable house of commons, but not yet obtained their resolution. (*)

Believe me, sir, I neither want, will, nor means to statisfy my debts; yet since others, for whom I made the articles, are concerned in the performance of them, I thought myself no less fixed in honour of endeavour the observance of them, than I was to gain concession of them; for the despatch of a suitor is a part of justice, which I might speedily obtain by your favour, whatever the result may be, I shall always rest

Your most humble servant

Thomas Glemham

August 16th 1646

(*) "Order to discharge Sir Thomas Glemham from an arrest, according to the articles of Oxford" - Whitlocke, Aug. 21st 1646.

It should be obsserved, however, that Sir Thomas Glemham was not merely a state prisoner, he was also confined for debt; for when the above order was made for his discharge, the sherrifs of London petitioned the house, on the ground that they should be liable to pay the debt for which he was a prisoner; whereupon the house ordered that they and all others should be saved harmless. Ibid. Aug. 27th

20/21st Augusti 1646

Ordered, That the Report concerning Sir Thomas Glemham's imprisonment to be made to-morrow Morning; after the Scott's business, and if it cannot be heard, then it should be made on Tuesday Morning next.

("Order to discharge Sir Thomas Glemham from an arrest, according to the articles of Oxford" - Whitlocke, Aug. 21st 1646.)

Thursday 7th August 1645

Sir Thomas Glemham's foot, that came from Carlisle to Cardiffe, marched as the King's lifeguard.

His horse in all 300.

(Presumably without Glemham himself, since he was imprisoned - see above).

Wednesday 13th August 1645

When the King came from Lichfield he drew out thence Foot 100, which march now with him.

Sir Thomas Glemham's foot were made dragoons in Brecknockshire, and march too with us.

(Thusday 14th. His majestie marched over the peake to Chatsworth).

The King's guards to Doncaster, com. Ebor

Munday morning the King came to Doncaster.

The foot which were at Pontfract Castle when it was yeilded were putt into Welbeck under Colonel Fretesvill's command, and

when his Majestie marched to Doncaster he drew them out, vizt. 250, four blew colours and one red:

A standard azure, on a conton a cross, issuant therefrom a pennon wavy argent.

Munday, August 19, 1645.

His Majesties army consisted of these:-

His lifeguard of horse commanded by Lord Bernard Stuart, Earl of Lichfield, consisted of the King's troope, Queenes troope, Lord Lichfield's troope, Sir Thomas Glemham's horse commanded by

Sir Henry Stradling. Toto effectually................................300

[Well that answers my question, who was in charge while Sir Thomas was imprisoned]

Generall Gerard (Lord Brandon) (a).................................800

Sir Marmaduke Langdales's brigade...............................700

Sir William Vaughan's brigade, with Prince Maurice's regiment.................................400

Effectually fighting Horse total.....................................2,200

Foot.

Welbeck.....................................................................250

Lichfield, drawne out when the King came thence...........150

Total 400

Some ammunition carried upon horses, three or four carts full of pikes, which the King had from Tedbury, which were Colonel Nevill's of Holt.

------------------------------------------------------

A medicine for the Botts in horse.

Two spoonfull of honey in a good quantity of milke, given in a horne. This is sweet, and drawes the wormes out of the mawe, and fill their bellies, and drawes them on a heape.

Then a while after give him the like quantity of sweet ale or beere, and in it a handfull of salt, and that will kill them all.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For a blow in a horse's eye.

Burne salt, and blow it in.

Pro eod.-Ground ivy, salindane, goose dung, of equall proportion, the juice spouted into the eye, and a quarter of an howre after burnt salt.

http://www.molyneuxs.com/49301/84638.html?*session*id*key*=*session*id*val*

In April 1646 King Charles left Oxford and eventually surrendered to Parliament. The town held out, under its governor, Sir Thomas Glemham, but surrendered to Sir Thomas Fairfax in June 1646.

Sir Thomas Glemham was allowed to march out of Oxford on 23rd June 1646 with his Regiment of Foot of some 3000 men, fully armed and with their colours flying. King Charles had ordered them to disband.

When they reached Thame they disbanded and were allowed to return home or to leave the country.

The surrender of Oxford and the dignified dispersal of Glemham's troops at Thame marked the end of what is known as the first English Civil War.

http://www.thamehistory.net/timeline/tln11.htm