Visit To Norton Cemetery

History dude

On Tuesday I picked that boiling hot day to visit Norton Cemetery on Derbyshire Lane. Proved an interesting visit and a few of my lot were there. But I thought I would post some of the more interesting none family related graves and see what we can find out about them.

DEAD END JOB

George Smith the Cemetery Superintendent ended up there!

DROWNED ON PARADE

Frederick Hawksworth aged 19 drowned in a bathing parade at Knott End Camp, Freesall Fleetwood, August 9 1909.

THE VET WITH ZEAL

John Nelson the successful Vet for 50 years!

William Arthur Hawksworth, Clerk, 17 Meersbrook Road, Meersbrook White's 1919

William Arthur Hawksworth, Shopkeeper, 480 & h. 381, Chesterfield Road, Norton Woodseats White's 1919

William Arthur Hawksworth, Traveller, 133 Meersbrook Park Road, Meersbrook Kelly's 1925

Take your pick ...

Vet of Little Sheffield (1841), anyone fancy locating him in the Census please ?

His son, John Nelson was nurseryman and market gardener, Middle Heeley 1871

His son, John Nelson was nurseryman and market gardener at Thorn Bank Nursery, Brinsworth in 1893.

possible that this is him in 1905 - John Nelson 221 Albert Road, Heeley.

John Nelson the successful Vet for 50 years!

John Nelson Snr., Farrier and Cow Leech, Little Sheffield 1833

Farrier, Little Sheffield 1837

Veterinary surgeon and Farriers, Little Sheffield 1846

Farrier and Seedsman, Little Sheffield 1849

Farrier and Seedsman, Little Sheffield, home Highfield 1852

Vet of Little Sheffield (1841), anyone fancy locating him in the Census please ?

His son, John Nelson was nurseryman and market gardener at Thorn Bank Nursery, Brinsworth in 1893.

Hey Richard,

When you buy that first edition copy of "Chantrey Land" (1910) by Harold Armitage from eBay it may tell you more about some of these people.

Same area, same era.

Great work RichardB ;-)

Anyone got a newspaper report on the lad that drowned?

What was that bathing parade? And where was it?

Anyone got a newspaper report on the lad that drowned?

What was that bathing parade? And where was it?

Seems you have already answered your own question in your original post History Dude

Just got to try and find that newspaper report now!

DROWNED ON PARADE

Frederick Hawksworth aged 19 drowned in a bathing parade at Knott End Camp, Freesall Fleetwood, August 9 1909.

Bought, sent to Frogfeatures.

Hey Richard,

When you buy that first edition copy of "Chantrey Land" (1910) by Harold Armitage from eBay it may tell you more about some of these people.

Same area, same era.

Seems you have already answered your own question in your original post History Dude

Yes but what was Knott End Camp? And where is Freesall Fleetwood. Was it an early type of Butlins, or something just for kids to go to.

Bought, sent to Frogfeatures.

I don't think Frogfeatures is a good name for Stuart

He has been called lots of things, but never that!

Yes but what was Knott End Camp? And where is Freesall Fleetwood. Was it an early type of Butlins, or something just for kids to go to.

From Steve's posts, the camp is where I assumed it would be at Fleetwood Lancashire.

However, it appears to be some sort of military camp.

Opened June 1st 1869.

Six to seven acres of land purchased for £2,000, only two acres being at present appropriated to internments.

The Chapel, offices and residence will cost an additional £1,600.

Messes Flocton and Abbot are the architects, and Mr Cavan the builder. Messes Newton and Chambers supplying the ironwork.

"The Building News" May 28th 1869.

Sheffield and Rotherham Independent

28 Aug 1847 Advert

16 Feb 1856 - new premises

19 Oct 1864 - nominated as candidate for Council in Ecclesall ward - I don't know if he eventually stood or if he won. His acceptance speech.

19 Oct 1872 Death notice

From Steve's posts, the camp is where I assumed it would be at Fleetwood Lancashire.

However, it appears to be some sort of military camp.

Found this for 1900.

VOLUNTEERS AT FLEETWOOD

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Thursday, August 9, 1900

Great stuff everyone :)

Seems that Knott End was like a TA base. There's me thinking he died on holiday :mellow:

Opened June 1st 1869.

Six to seven acres of land purchased for £2,000, only two acres being at present appropriated to internments.

The Chapel, offices and residence will cost an additional £1,600.

Messes Flocton and Abbot are the architects, and Mr Cavan the builder. Messes Newton and Chambers supplying the ironwork.

"The Building News" May 28th 1869.

LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE OF NORTON CEMETERY CHAPEL .

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Tuesday, October 06, 1868

Norton Churchyard, had been used eight hundred years for interments and there had been buried eight times the number

of the present inhabitants of the Parish.

A time capsul of a bottle was placed under the foundation stone containing the names of the Burial Board and copies of the

Sheffield Papers and some coins.

His son, John Nelson was nurseryman and market gardener, Middle Heeley 1871

possible that this is him in 1905 - John Nelson 221 Albert Road, Heeley.

John Nelson 1871 Census.

Ellin Street House, Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield.

Can't think children would have enjoyed the opening of the cemetery. Still I suppose at least they got a free bun. All the elderly got was a reminder from the Vicar that they would be buried there soon.

Indexing of the registers of the cemetery has started on Sheffield Indexers. When complete should be valuable resource.