Edwin Close, Builder.

Guest TheBotanical

Guest TheBotanical

I'm trying to find out more about my Father's family on his mother's side. I have the 1911 Census telling me that there were 2 Edwin Close's at Ecclesall (father and son). Family memebers have left information that they ran a successfull building business but I'm finding it difficult to find any information on them.

My Grandmother was Edna Close d.ob. 15.08.1910, her father was Arthur Close who was born about 1877, his father was Edwin Close who ran 'Close Builders' in Ecclesall and Edwin's father was another Arthur Close. I believe the first Arthur had a brother named Edwin which explains the 2 Edwin's. I'm also led to believe that one of them fought in the Boer War.

Sorry for being a bit vague but any help would be greatly appreciated.

In 1901 Edwin Close (#2) was 49 and a bricklayer living with his wife Elizabeth at 119 Moore Street - he was originally from Colly Weston, Northants. His son Fred was living with them and was a Stonemason.

Edwin Close (#3) was 26 , a Bricklayer & Slater was living at 12 Aizlewood Road.

In 1891 Edwin (#2) was 38 and a builder at 73 Oxford Street, son Edwin (#3) was a builders assistant and son Arthur was a 15 year old brass turner.

In 1881 Edwin (#2) was a bricklayer living at Victoria Street. Living at the Union Workhouse was Edwin Close (#1) aged 72 and ex Draper and Hosier.

In 1871 Edwin (#1) aged 63 was running a Drapers shop at no 9 London Road with his wife Mariah.

In May 1869 Edwin (#1) had gone bankrupt (see extract from London Gazette). In July 1872 his goods were being liquidated (see Sheffield Independent advert). In August 1862 Edwin (#1) was presecuting some lads who had stolen 3 caps from his shop. In January 1860 he was at the Devonshire Arms on South Street Moor, being presented with an inkstand for his work as secretary of the United Sixty Sick Society.

Edwin Close Bricklayer 73 Oxford Road Kelly's 1893

Edwin Close Builder & property repairer 17 Stalker Lees Road White's 1905

Edwin sen. Close 17 Stalker Walk, Stalker Lees Road White's 1911

Edwin jun. Close builder & property repairer 1 Stalker Place, Stalker Lees Road White's 1911

Edwin jun. Close Builder 1 Stalker Place, Stalker Lees Road White's 1919

Edwin jun. Close Builder 1 Stalker Place, Stalker Lees Road Kelly's 1925

Guest TheBotanical

In 1901 Edwin Close (#2) was 49 and a bricklayer living with his wife Elizabeth at 119 Moore Street - he was originally from Colly Weston, Northants. His son Fred was living with them and was a Stonemason.

Edwin Close (#3) was 26 , a Bricklayer & Slater was living at 12 Aizlewood Road.

In 1891 Edwin (#2) was 38 and a builder at 73 Oxford Street, son Edwin (#3) was a builders assistant and son Arthur was a 15 year old brass turner.

In 1881 Edwin (#2) was a bricklayer living at Victoria Street. Living at the Union Workhouse was Edwin Close (#1) aged 72 and ex Draper and Hosier.

In 1871 Edwin (#1) aged 63 was running a Drapers shop at no 9 London Road with his wife Mariah.

In May 1869 Edwin (#1) had gone bankrupt (see extract from London Gazette). In July 1872 his goods were being liquidated (see Sheffield Independent advert). In August 1862 Edwin (#1) was presecuting some lads who had stolen 3 caps from his shop. In January 1860 he was at the Devonshire Arms on South Street Moor, being presented with an inkstand for his work as secretary of the United Sixty Sick Society.

Edwin Close Bricklayer 73 Oxford Road Kelly's 1893

Edwin Close Builder & property repairer 17 Stalker Lees Road White's 1905

Edwin sen. Close 17 Stalker Walk, Stalker Lees Road White's 1911

Edwin jun. Close builder & property repairer 1 Stalker Place, Stalker Lees Road White's 1911

Edwin jun. Close Builder 1 Stalker Place, Stalker Lees Road White's 1919

Edwin jun. Close Builder 1 Stalker Place, Stalker Lees Road Kelly's 1925

Many thanks to both of you. Edmund, how do you find the information out so fast. Are there any special search engines or software that you use? Also, what was the "United Sixty Sick Society" please?

The speed is down to having nothing better to do! The census info can be pulled from for example Ancestry.co.uk or Findmypast.co.uk. The local libraries in Lancashire have free access to both of these, though from the library premises only, alternatively you have to pay a subscription. One way or another access is indispensible, though people on this site are happy to help with info, including copies of the original documents. I'm not sure if you can access this from the Sheffield Library/Archives.

Official notices such as bankrupcies are published in the London Gazette at: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search

One means of filling in the background of ancestors lives is from newspaper archives. One of the best (ie easily searchable though it can be a bit of a black art getting the best results) is the Galegroup.com site. I get access through Lancashire libraries - you can join here: http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries/borrower/application_form.asp. I know that Derbyshire libraries also give you free access to the Gales newspaper database.

Trade Directories are a good source - some via http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/, some via the Sheffield Indexers: http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/DirectoriesIndex.html and some are held by members of this site.

The internet is a wonderful resource and there are many more sites - just ask on here and someone will point you in the right direction.

The "United Sixty Sick Society" appears to have been a very small and insignificant friendly society (possibly it was limited to just sixty members?). Apparently in the mid 1800s about fifty percent of the population were members of similar societies which provided sickness, insurance and pension benefits as well as social events. Some of them had local nobility as patrons eg the Earl of Surrey was patron of the Surrey Sick Society, and there was the Duke of Norfolk Sick Society.

Guest TheBotanical

The speed is down to having nothing better to do! The census info can be pulled from for example Ancestry.co.uk or Findmypast.co.uk. The local libraries in Lancashire have free access to both of these, though from the library premises only, alternatively you have to pay a subscription. One way or another access is indispensible, though people on this site are happy to help with info, including copies of the original documents. I'm not sure if you can access this from the Sheffield Library/Archives.

Official notices such as bankrupcies are published in the London Gazette at: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search

One means of filling in the background of ancestors lives is from newspaper archives. One of the best (ie easily searchable though it can be a bit of a black art getting the best results) is the Galegroup.com site. I get access through Lancashire libraries - you can join here: http://www.lancashir...ation_form.asp. I know that Derbyshire libraries also give you free access to the Gales newspaper database.

Trade Directories are a good source - some via http://www.historica...ctories.org/hd/, some via the Sheffield Indexers: http://www.sheffield...oriesIndex.html and some are held by members of this site.

The internet is a wonderful resource and there are many more sites - just ask on here and someone will point you in the right direction.

The "United Sixty Sick Society" appears to have been a very small and insignificant friendly society (possibly it was limited to just sixty members?). Apparently in the mid 1800s about fifty percent of the population were members of similar societies which provided sickness, insurance and pension benefits as well as social events. Some of them had local nobility as patrons eg the Earl of Surrey was patron of the Surrey Sick Society, and there was the Duke of Norfolk Sick Society.

Many thanks again for this information Edmund. I hope I haven't been too much of a bother.

Guest TheBotanical

attachicon.gifLondon Gazette 17 Aug 1869.png

attachicon.gifJuly 12 1872.png

Would Edwin #2 be Edwin #1 son if Edwin #2 came from Colley Weston? I know Arthur was the name of my Grandma's father and an 'Edwin', possibly #2, would have been his father.

I think that Edwin #1, the draper at London Road, is a red herring.

Your great Grandfather Arthur Close is on the 1881 census with his brother Edwin #3 and his father Edwin #2 (bricklayer from Abbey Weston - possibly a mis-recording as I can find no record of any place called Abbey Weston):

The 1871 census shows (possibly) Edwin #2 a mason boarding at Peterborough, gives place of birth as Easton [on the Hill] which is less than a mile from Colly Weston:

The IGI shows an Edwin Close #2 baptised at Colly Weston on 13th February 1853, son of George and Mary Close. The 1861 census shows George Robert Close, slater, his wife Mary and their children including Edwin #2, all living at the Slaters Arms, Colly Weston:

Guest TheBotanical
I think that Edwin #1, the draper at London Road, is a red herring.

Your great Grandfather Arthur Close is on the 1881 census with his brother Edwin #3 and his father Edwin #2 (bricklayer from Abbey Weston - possibly a mis-recording as I can find no record of any place called Abbey Weston):

attachicon.gif1881Census-Arthur Close.jpeg

The 1871 census shows (possibly) Edwin #2 a mason boarding at Peterborough, gives place of birth as Easton [on the Hill] which is less than a mile from Colly Weston:

attachicon.gif1871Census-Edwin Close.jpeg

The IGI shows an Edwin Close #2 baptised at Colly Weston on 13th February 1853, son of George and Mary Close. The 1861 census shows George Robert Close, slater, his wife Mary and their children including Edwin #2, all living at the Slaters Arms, Colly Weston:

attachicon.gif1861Census-Edwin Close.jpeg

A huge thankyou Edmund, I really didn't expect you to all that for me. Like I say, I am hoping to sign up to ancestory again soon, which version would you reccommend? What I am wondering about is this, is there any need for the parish records if I can gain what I need to know from the census returns?