Nether Green Shops

jimmydunneclone

Can anyone tell me the names of the sweet shop owners of the one opposite the Rising Sun at Nether Green and the one below where Nick Cleggs office is now on Nether Green Road @1973,?thanks.

In 1964 according to Picture Sheffield the confectioner opposite the Rising Sun, No 484 Fulwood Road, was Jn.Wm Shaw and son, No 486 was R. Weston (Chemists) Ltd.,No 480 was Quick Press Ltd., Dyers and Cleaners - earlier than you were interested in but maybe the photo will ring some bells?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15975&prevUrl=

Or this one from 1974 - No 496 was Ashe and Nephew Ltd., Wine and Spirit Merchant, may be able to zoom in on No 498 next door?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15977&prevUrl=

Is the other one you're after No. 83 Nethergreen Road, now Corrie and Routh plumbers? In 1911 it was Henry Holmes, hairdressers. Maybe the Ancestry telephone directory archives can pick this one up for 1973

The papershop below the Hangingwater Road lights on Oakbrook Road was Ryalls, I used to deliver papers for them about 1973-4.

Maybe the Ancestry telephone directory archives can find these for 1973 - will have a look next time I visit the library

Thanks for that Edmund.I have the first pic but not seen the second-though I can't make out the name.The one on N.G Rd is where Rouths is now.I also used to do the papers for the one near the lights @1975 but Ryalls had been replaced by -I think-Roebucks though there may have been someone in between,cheers.

Can anyone tell me the names of the sweet shop owners of the one opposite the Rising Sun at Nether Green and the one below where Nick Cleggs office is now on Nether Green Road @1973,?thanks.

I used to walk past the shop on nether green road on my way to Nether Green School, when there was only one Nether Green School, I use to spend my daily allowance in the sweet shop on my way to school, but on decimalisation day I saved the money until my on my way home, then spent as little as possible on a couple of Black Jacks, so I could get my change in 'new money' There was a wool shop and coblers in the same row if memory serves me right, if I close my eyes I can still smell the leather.

There was also a sweet shop at Hangingwater called Ushers, also down there were a couple of hardware shops, Bush's deli/grocer a fresh fish shop a couple of greengrocers a bakers who baked in site where the cleaning contractors is, a small grocer where the pottery shop is, a chip shop, a dress shop, Swansons Grocers a co-op where Rafters is, a hippy type clothing shop called Freewheelin after a bob Dylan album, I am sure more will come to mind.

And there's more!

Further down at Oakbrook shops was Thornes' Chemist, Watchorns' newsagent, Woodhouses' general store where the restaurant is now, and a fruit shop on the corner.

I know all the names of the shops at Hangingwater Sando,it's just the ones in the OP that I am after.

I know all the names of the shops at Hangingwater Sando,it's just the ones in the OP that I am after.

sorry, just trying to help. i think the sweet shop at the end of the genel on hangingwater was Rolands.

Hopefully your knowledge of the hangingwater shops can help, me what was the name of the small grocers at the bottom of Armthorpe Rd, late 60's to mid 70's, now the pottery?

Sorry Sando,wasn't having a go.Glad of your help.I don't remember the grocers but there's a great photo of it on Picture Sheffield site-can't make out the surname above the shop though.The ref no. is 16994.Cheers.

sorry, just trying to help. i think the sweet shop at the end of the genel on hangingwater was Rolands.

Hopefully your knowledge of the hangingwater shops can help, me what was the name of the small grocers at the bottom of Armthorpe Rd, late 60's to mid 70's, now the pottery?

Thanks to a post on Sheffield forum; the sweet shop later became Jeffersons, which is the name I recall from my days at Nether Green school

Thanks to a post on Sheffield forum; the sweet shop later became Jeffersons, which is the name I recall from my days at Nether Green school

Seen it thanks.Has been bugging me for ages.

Guest neilpeachey

Here's a photo of our shop (Peachey's) at 102 Hangingwater Road in 1956. My Mum used to run it during the day, then my Dad would do deliveries when he got home from work in the evening.

1957, 102 Hangingwater Road, N. Tew, grocer (Kelly's Directory)

Here's a photo of our shop (Peachey's) at 102 Hangingwater Road in 1956. My Mum used to run it during the day, then my Dad would do deliveries when he got home from work in the evening.

1968, W H Pagdin, grocer ...

Guest Choirgirl

I've 0nly just found this topic & possibly I can clarify some of the points made. We lived on Nethergreen Rd during the 1960's for a couple of decades.

Starting from Nethergreen School going down Nethergreen Rd. on the rhs were St George Methodist Chapel, Corrie & Routh, plumbers merchants, Ernest Humphreys, cobbler (he lived round the corner on Pendeen Rd), Guite - wool shop who lived behind this shop, Jefferson's grocer/sweet shop who lived on the premises (when the father died his wife carried on the business helped by the son Paul.

This was no. 79 and at the side of the shop was Pendeen Rd. However, the house on the opposite side of Pendeen Rd (now 1 Pendeen Rd) was no. 71 Nethergreen Rd.

One wonders where nos. 77, 75 and 73 were. Below this house was a gennel leading to Armthorpe Rd and Bramwith Rd. Then other occupied houses on Nethergreen Rd.

I've 0nly just found this topic & possibly I can clarify some of the points made. We lived on Nethergreen Rd during the 1960's for a couple of decades.

Starting from Nethergreen School going down Nethergreen Rd. on the rhs were St George Methodist Chapel, Corrie & Routh, plumbers merchants, Ernest Humphreys, cobbler (he lived round the corner on Pendeen Rd), Guite - wool shop who lived behind this shop, Jefferson's grocer/sweet shop who lived on the premises (when the father died his wife carried on the business helped by the son Paul.

This was no. 79 and at the side of the shop was Pendeen Rd. However, the house on the opposite side of Pendeen Rd (now 1 Pendeen Rd) was no. 71 Nethergreen Rd.

One wonders where nos. 77, 75 and 73 were. Below this house was a gennel leading to Armthorpe Rd and Bramwith Rd. Then other occupied houses on Nethergreen Rd.

Hi Choirgirl,what years did you live on Nethergreen and whereabouts?

A quick question as an incomer, what do you locals regard as Nether Green? I tend to think of it as a fairly local area around Hangingwater crossroads, but I suppose it must go at least as far as the school?

A quick question as an incomer, what do you locals regard as Nether Green? I tend to think of it as a fairly local area around Hangingwater crossroads, but I suppose it must go at least as far as the school?

Yes and probably up to Stumperlowe.

Guest Choirgirl

A couple of responses - we lived just below the shops for approx 30 years until Mid 1990s.- our children attending Nether Green School.

Re. part of boundaries for Nether Green - I suggest it was Nethergreen Rd.which was S11 (Fulwood Rd. being S10) up to Car Bank Lane above the Rising Sun pub & back along the lane which was the boundary between S10 & S11

Thanks for those. It's usually a tricky question to ask in Sheffield as you often get as many different answers as people responding. These seem pretty consistent though! I understand the one not to ask is where does Walkey end and Crookes begin?

Or even more so where does Crookes end and Crosspool begin, or Nether Green end and Fulwood begin, in estate agent speak Crosspool appears to start at the bottom of Lydgate lane