Sheffield To Oughtibridge 1953 Train Simulation

Guest wayneybabes

Guest wayneybabes

Dont know if this has been posted but was browsing the internet and found these videos on youtube

the second part takes you from Oughtibridge to Penistone

Very interesting, but what happened to Neepsend Power Station, the "White Bridge" of concrete construction by Wardsend Cemetery and the steep rockface on the right hand side just before the Five Arches viaduct ? We called it the Moonshine Hill. Also in 1953 the run of pylons only extended as far as Neepsend Power Station and were smaller than the present ones. I only recall over bridges at Neepsend, one of them a footbridge, the White and Black bridges at the cemetery and one other just before Wadsley Bridge Station at the top of Wardsend Road.

HD

Guest wayneybabes

Very interesting, but what happened to Neepsend Power Station, the "White Bridge" of concrete construction by Wardsend Cemetery and the steep rockface on the right hand side just before the Five Arches viaduct ? We called it the Moonshine Hill. Also in 1953 the run of pylons only extended as far as Neepsend Power Station and were smaller than the present ones. I only recall over bridges at Neepsend, one of them a footbridge, the White and Black bridges at the cemetery and one other just before Wadsley Bridge Station at the top of Wardsend Road.

HD

The video is taken from Train Simulator 2012 so hasn't been designed by the person who has put the video up. I would hazard a guess that it has been created from memory or by old video footage. I also noticed a couple of mistakes. The first one was in the comments on the video, that the steps leading up to the station from the wicker are missing and also as the video pans out onto Walker Street just after the train departs there are only 3 arches before the arches bend outwards. There are actually 10 or 11 arches.

I thought it was wonderful but as you say, if you are looking for detail there are one or two errors.

I wish they would open that line up again, I would be great if they ever did.

Not related to the videos, but I have happy memories of the Woodhead line. I went to college in Liverpool, and while I enjoyed the freedom of being away from home, I didn't enjoy the place much, and was glad of my frequent weekends back in God's own country, (not least because my girlfriend (now wife) was here. )

I always got a buzz from seeing my first blue and cream bus, instead of the green Liverpool ones and red Manchester ones. I had to get 2 trains and change in Manchester, but once on the train through Woodhead I could savour the wild scenery, then the familiar places on the run into Sheffield. Happy days! :)

Towards the end of my course I used to get a direct train back to Liverpool on Sunday night on the Hope Valley line. And most weeks we'd be serenaded from Edale by groups of Mancunians in boots and anoraks singing "I'm a rambler from Manchester way". Oh what fun! :rolleyes:

Towards the end of my course I used to get a direct train back to Liverpool on Sunday night on the Hope Valley line. And most weeks we'd be serenaded from Edale by groups of Mancunians in boots and anoraks singing "I'm a rambler from Manchester way". Oh what fun! :rolleyes:

As a student you had still to look forward to being a "Wage Slave On Monday".

Happy Daze !

HD

As a student you had still to look forward to being a "Wage Slave On Monday".

Happy Daze !

HD

No such luck, I was on a sandwich course, so no long breaks, college broke up on Friday, so back to wage slave on Monday!