Sheffield Olympians

RichardB

Before it all kicks off, who from Sheffield is taking part ? and who has Sheffield connections from previous Olympics please ?

Was at "Messy Church" at Greenhill with the kids on Saturday (Bit of a fake - was only there for the kids and the free cake!)

Anyhow they had Brian Adams giving a talk who was in the 1976 GB squad - he was a race walker and a quick check on Wiki showed that he finished a comendable 11th. Im assuming he is from Sheffield?

He turned up in his old official tracksuit which included very 70s ring zip pulls! - Couldnt help but think that it would fetch a fortune on Ebay!!!!

Seb Coe? Won four Olympic medals, including the 1500 metres gold medal at the Olympics in 1980 and 1984.

( I wonder what happened to him and where he is now?)

And of course Jessica Ennis. She's a great athlete and great ambassador for Sheffield, but I do sometimes feel sorry for her when you see the expectations whipped up by the press and a certain Yorkshire news programme on TV.

I read a while ago that the Council is planning a large screen and party in town when she competes. No pressure, then!

If he'd been a bit more successful - Peter Elliot? Hailed from Rawmarsh - that's a suburb of Sheffield isn't it?

And of course Jessica Ennis. She's a great athlete and great ambassador for Sheffield, but I do sometimes feel sorry for her when you see the expectations whipped up by the press and a certain Yorkshire news programme on TV.

Of course they've got it in for her Bayleaf.

Jess is a good Sheffield lass

The program you are referring to is "Look Leeds" which is only interested in news and people from Leeds - Bradford as though that was all that is important in Yorkshire and nothing else.

"Look Leeds" will look down at any Sheffield achievemnet or personality.

Now, if Jessica was from Leeds it would be a different story!

I take it this is current, can't imagine much Victorian Volleyball.

Rachel Laybourne, member of the GB Women's Volley Ball team.

I take it this is current, can't imagine much Victorian Volleyball.

Indeed, and can be seen in action tomorrow night in a friendly against Korea at the Institute of Sport.

Add to the list Ben Pipes, captain of the GB Men's volleyball team, who is a former student at Sheffield Hallam Uni.

And Husayn Rosowsky, a member of the GB fencing team, and like Sir Seb a former pupil at Tapton.

And Vandessa Ellis, GB women's basketball team

And Chris Finch and Nate Reinking, GB men's basketball team, both former members of Sheffield Sharks.

Apparently one in seven of the GB athletes has trained or in some way been supported by one of the Sheffield International Venues.

Anybody from Leeds in the Olympics?