J W Starkie

togger

He was killed in an accident at the Cammell Laird's munitions factory at Sheffield on the 8 Jan 1917. Any help or information concerning the accident or cause of death would be much appreciated please.

You could get the death cert for £9,25 from GRO ; its reference is 1917 Mar quarter, Sheffield, 9c 804. His name seems to be John W Starkie & he was 33 years old.

John

You could get the death cert for £9,25 from GRO ; its reference is 1917 Mar quarter, Sheffield, 9c 804. His name seems to be John W Starkie & he was 33 years old.

John

Just to add to this the Sheffield Register Office now charge £10 per certificate, fact finding is getting very expensive. :(

Thanks guys, but the must be some other information out there that tells us about this surely?

1911 census - he isn't easy to find; only one in Sheffield appears to be John William Starkey who at 32 appears to be too old for the John W Starkie we are trying to find out about. He is a fork grinder & is married to Annie age 30 & they have 5 kids age 13 down to 1. Everyone born Sheffield.& they live at 32 Orange St

Here he is - in 1911 a 28 year old cotton weaver living at Garnett Street, Barrowford, Nelson, Lancs.

Fantastic thank to all for helping. I only have to find out details of his fatal accident now.

The local newspapers will be the place to look. Microfilm copies in Sheffield Local Studies Library. I think some 20th century papers are available by subscription - I only have access to 19th century ones.