Ada Fletcher

Guest Fletcher Lily

Guest Fletcher Lily

Hiya

This is all I have to go on, please see attached. Lily or Lillian (she changed her name) turned up in Sedbergh census 1911 and she was my Great Grandmother, but what happen to her before 1911 has been a mystery for years? We never knew who her mother was until last week we found the attached. Can anyone help to identify who Ada is and who where her family?

Kind Regards

Laura (Lily's Great Grandaughter)

Hi Laura, Are you able to supply a larger image of the certificate or tell us the details on it please? I have tried photoshopping it to make writing darker but still can make out detail of mothers surname etc

John

Guest Fletcher Lily

Hi John

The details as follows:-

When and where born: 29/06/1897, 16 court Edward Street

Name: Lily

Sex: Girl

Name and Surname of Father: None

Name, surname and maiden name of mother: Ada Fletcher a Charwomen (one I'm trying to trace)

Occupation of father: None

Siguture, description and residence of informant: x the mark of Ada Fletcher mother 16 court Edward street sheffield

When registered Seventh August 1897

Signature of registrar: J W Cope Deputy Registrar

Kind Regards

Laura

What information does the 1911 census give?

Given the lack of information from before 1911, how do you know that this is the right birth?

Laura,

Some information here which might be helpful - BUT - no guarantees that any of these relate to your family. If the Fletcher family were chaotic, it might be necessary to spend some time in the Sheffield Archives and sift through potential birth/marriage/death certificates.

Having said that, here is a 1901 census entry for a Lily and older sister Gertrude inmates at the Firvale Childrens Home (Smilter Lane) :

And here is an Ada Fletcher, (maybe not yours) in 1901 living with 2 Charwomen (1 her mother) and others at Solly street (next street to New Edward street):

Might give you something to think about and maybe rule in or out based on certificates?

Also - are you sure YOUR Lily was in Sedburgh in 1911, not just someone with the same name? Do you have family connections to Sedburgh? It's not the place I'd head to in 1911 if I was skint and living in a big town, unless I knew I'd got generous relatives living there.

The following are school register entries from http://www.sheffieldindexers.com

Fletcher, Lily (Student, dob 15 Apr 1897).

Parent or guardian name(s): ~ (~), of Cottage Homes.

Admitted to Owler Lane Junior Mixed School, Grimesthorpe, as of 07 May 1906, readmitted 04 Dec 1906

until 12 Jul 1907, reason for leaving: Manor. Previously attended Queen Street.

Fletcher, Gertrude (Student, dob ~).

Parent or guardian name(s): Bd of Guardians (~), of Cottage Homes.

Admitted to Owler Lane Junior Mixed School, Grimesthorpe, as of 16 Mar 1903, readmitted 23 Nov 1903, 11 Oct 1904, 12 Dec 1906

until 23 May 1903, 15 Jan 1904, 5 Jul 1905, 12 Jul 1907, reason for leaving: left homes. Previously attended Abbeydale Infts,Hoyle St, Garden St, Princess St.

There are two GRO births at FreeBMD for Lily FLETCHERs, one is in the SEP quarter, presumably the one born in June and registered in August (daughter of Ada). The other entry is in March so cannot be the one in the school record if the April birth date is accurate.

The Sheffield Council BMD site (more accurate than the GRO) also shows two births in 1897, one in East Brightside and the other in Sheffield North (the latter being the Lily in the scanned certificate).

We need more information to distinguish between them. Perhaps the birthday is known from family sources.

Curiously, the Ada listed in the 1901 census posted by Edmund was registered as Lily Ada Barker at her birth in 1876 and married Edward Fletcher in Feb 1900, all supposition of course!

Guest Fletcher Lily

Thank you everyone.

1911 cenus for Lily Fletcher is when Lily ended up in Sedbergh where she met and married my Great Grandfather. On her marriage cert she names Samual Fletcher as her father but this could be made up. I know the birthday date is correct and has been confirmed by her living son's. I think I will have to visit Sheffield as I've never been. Thank you for all this info it gets me a little closer to finding out who she was.

1911 - Sedbergh Howgill

George Mason aged 69 Head Born Killington, Westmorland

Eliza Mason aged 53 Wife Married for 7 Years children 0 Born Kirkton, Lincolnshire.

Lily Fletcher aged 13 Boarder Born Sheffield, Yorkshire

John Henry Fletcher aged 8 Boarder Born Sheffield, Yorkshire

Kind Regards

Laura

I will need to do a little more digging, but Ada Fletcher, just might link into a part of my own wife's family.

The Ada Fletcher that we have, was born in 1867, which would have made her 30 years old at the time of Lily's birth.

If she is indeed the one and same person, then her parents would have been Elizabeth Pye, born 1840 and Thomas Fletcher, a Scythe Grinder, born Stockport in 1833 and died Hockley, Bolsover, in 1879.

I cannot be certain that it is indeed the one and same person, but if it is, the the family was a very disjointed one, Elizabeth and Thomas had separated before 1871, as Elizabeth and young family are shown on the 1871 return as residing at 16 Court, Hoyle Street, Sheffield, Yorkshire - West Riding, England [Described as married and a boarder at this address, no husband is described] [source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4680; Folio: 78; Page: 17; GSU roll: 847230]. This seems most probable record as to whereabouts of Elizabeth Pye. She is not described as residing with spouse Thomas Fletcher on his “return” from Whiston Village, [source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4704; Folio: 88; Page: 20; GSU roll: 847242]; Living with Emily Fletcher [daughter] aged 12 years; Sidney Fletcher [daughter] aged 1 year; Ada Fletcher [daughter] aged 4 years and Sidney Truelove [head + unmarried, aged 29 years].

Elizabeth's own younger life was equally chaotic. Her own father, Thomas Pye, seems to have abandoned the family sometime before 1851, as she is recorded on the 1851 Return as residing at the Sheffield Union Workhouse, Sheffield, Yorkshire - West Riding, England [Listed as a Pauper and as an Inmate; Occupation of Scholar] [source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2339; Folio: 963; Page: 4; GSU roll: 87590-87593]. Thomas Pye was killed by a MS and LR locomotive at Handsworth in 1858. See elsewhere on this site.

I will do some checking up.

possibles,

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/WorkhouseHospitalCottage_Index.html

Fletcher, Ada (Pauper, 36, s, no trade).

Residing at Fir Vale Workhouse as of March 31 1901 originally from Sheffield, Yks.

Notes: .

(Piece #4377, folio 171B, enumeration district 13.).

Fletcher, Gertrude (Inmate, 5, ~, ~).

Residing at Smilter Lane - Childrens Home as of March 31 1901 originally from N/K, .

Notes: ~.

(Piece #4377, folio ~, enumeration district 13.).

Fletcher, Lily (Inmate, 3, ~, ~).

Residing at Smilter Lane - Childrens Home as of March 31 1901 originally from N/K, .

Notes: ~.

(Piece #4377, folio ~, enumeration district 13.).