Who Was The First Sheffield Motorist?

Edmund

Is there any advance on Charles Maclaren Hansell, a Steel Merchant, of 21 Montgomery Road originally from North Shields?

In September 1899 he was involved in a MOTOR-CAR ACCIDENT - On Saturday, Mr. C.Hansell of Montgomery road, who, with a friend was making a motor-car journey, met with an accident near Sheepbridge. The car was passing down a steep incline when the driver lost control, and it ran away. At the bottom of the incline it ran to the side of the road, pitching both gentlemen out. AIthough bruised and shaken, they fortunately did not sustain any serious injuries. The motor-car was badly damaged.

The car was probably a Daimler. The Daimler Motor Comapny was set up by Harry Lawson in 1896, and the first production was in 1897.

Edward P. Reynolds, Ashdell Grove, Sheffield. Car: 24-h.p. Napier. Has owned motor-cars since 1897. Club: A.C.G.B. & I.

Source

Very possibly my first ever useful posting on transport.

This man has to be the most likely candidate. This link is 1903 document.

FOSTER, HARVEY, of 248, Fulwood Road, Sheffield, owns a 7-horse Motor Manufacturing Company, a Locomobile Victoria, two 10-horse Wolseleys, a I2-horse Daimler Wagonette, and a 20-horse Racing car, with Clipper-Michelin and Buffer tyres. Is President of the Sheffield Automobile Club. Presented two silver challenge cups to above Club for a hill-climbing competition. Believes this Club was the first to organise a motor paper chase. Opposed to nunthering. Very much in favour of the Gordon Bennett Race being held in England or Ireland. Clubs: Nottingham and Sheffield Automobile.

Also (with a picture of him)

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Harvey_Foster

This man has to be the most likely candidate. This link is 1903 document.

FOSTER, HARVEY, of 248, Fulwood Road, Sheffield, owns a 7-horse Motor Manufacturing Company, a Locomobile Victoria, two 10-horse Wolseleys, a I2-horse Daimler Wagonette, and a 20-horse Racing car, with Clipper-Michelin and Buffer tyres. Is President of the Sheffield Automobile Club. Presented two silver challenge cups to above Club for a hill-climbing competition. Believes this Club was the first to organise a motor paper chase. Opposed to nunthering. Very much in favour of the Gordon Bennett Race being held in England or Ireland. Clubs: Nottingham and Sheffield Automobile.

Also(with a picture of him)

http://www.gracesgui...k/Harvey_Foster

OK ,I'll be the first to ask, Richard. What's nunthering?

Fine question and, of course, no idea.

Numbering possibly, still not a clue as to what it means.

OK ,I'll be the first to ask, Richard. What's nunthering?

Ebay have just delivered me a copy of Vickers "Popular History of Sheffield" - it has a section on early motor cars.

Some motorists not already mentioned:

Arthur Blyde of Crescent road, Nether Edge, scissor manufacturer at Clintock Works in Milton street, initially had a motor-tricycle. He was an amateur mechanic and modified his "progress Tandem Quadricycle" removing the passenger seat and upgrading from a 2 1/2 hp De-Dion engine to a 3 1/2 hp engine and fitted his own invention - a warning system of loud ringing bells.

Mr Coupe and Mr Shepherd are mentioned, Mr Shepherd bought a 2 1/2 hp De-Dion in 1900 from Mr Vincent Riley who later started the Riley Motor Works.

Duncan Gilmour was another name mentioned. He would have been "Jr" - the son of the brewer who had died in 1889. Gilmour Jr lived on Highnam Crescent Road.

Hi can anyone tell me if there is any truth in the story of John George Clarke not being the first motorist but the first chauffuer of a motor car, he originated fromBudby Notts, but moved to Sheffield where he stayed and raised his family. The story we were told was that he was the chauffuer for the first mortorised vehichle. He used to be a groom at Thorsby Hall and progressed to chauffuer.