Civil Aircraft Real Time Mapping

hilldweller

Just happened across a website that shows the positions of civil aircraft together with their flight numbers, plotted in real time over a map of the world.

Nothing to do with Sheffield History but those of us with a technical bent might be interested in it.

It's wonderful what you can find on the t'internet.

You can watch your Aunty Mabel returning from Corfu. Don't get worried if the flight vanishes from the screen, they do that sometimes for a few seconds. Click on a plane to find it's details.

You can find it at

www.flightradar24.com

HD

edit Changed to world from UK.

Just happened across a website that shows the positions of civil aircraft together with their flight numbers, plotted in real time over a map of the world.

Nothing to do with Sheffield History but those of us with a technical bent might be interested in it.

It's wonderful what you can find on the t'internet.

You can watch your Aunty Mabel returning from Corfu. Don't get worried if the flight vanishes from the screen, they do that sometimes for a few seconds. Click on a plane to find it's details.

You can find it at

www.flightradar24.com

HD

edit Changed to world from UK.

Stuart came upon this site a few years ago and used it for a while at a time when there were strikes and closures at major British airports like Heathrow.

It was interesting to see incoming flights being heldup, having to circle for a while and then be diverted elsewhere.

I must admit I do use it occasionally to see where some of the planes flying over are from and going to. I think there may even be an app now which allows you to point your iPhone at an aircraft and it will show the details.

There was a cartoon a few weeks ago of a couple lying on a hillside watching the clouds etc. There's a vapour trail, and the woman says "It's so romantic watching the planes, imagining where they're going, New York, Rome, Tokyo, Paris,..."

The man points his phone at it and says "Luton". The punch line says "Apps, ruining imagination since 2008"

There was a cartoon a few weeks ago of a couple lying on a hillside watching the clouds etc. There's a vapour trail, and the woman says "It's so romantic watching the planes, imagining where they're going, New York, Rome, Tokyo, Paris,..."

The man points his phone at it and says "Luton". The punch line says "Apps, ruining imagination since 2008"

Luton Airport?

{said in his best Lorraine Chase accent}

Thanks for the heads up on this :)

I'm addicted now

Pity it only shows approx 60% of the worlds aircraft, but it's so fascinating

I'd show this to someone who is scared of flying. When you can see how many aircraft are in the air at one time, and how few accidents there are, It gives you some idea of how small the risk of being in an air accident is.

Thanks for the heads up on this :)

I'm addicted now

Pity it only shows approx 60% of the worlds aircraft, but it's so fascinating

I'd show this to someone who is scared of flying. When you can see how many aircraft are in the air at one time, and how few accidents there are, It gives you some idea of how small the risk of being in an air accident is.

A good idea, but use at large scale, otherwise you get a solid mat of aircraft and wonder how they avoid touching!

Of course, if you are more interested in boats there is always: http://marinetraffic.com/ais/ lol