Where's This

Stuart0742

I don't know if this has been posted before, or if Tozzin has covered it in his Retro contributions

Where is this Latin phrase to be found

Is it the Cutlers Hall ?

I seem to recall it was the motto of Sheffield Medical School - it can be seen on Leopold Street but was the medical school on Surrey Street at one time?

Guest Barbara M

Wish I knew ....but it means " Art is Long Life is Short " , could be over an old hospital somewhere as it was said by Hippocrates ?

I seem to recall it was the motto of Sheffield Medical School - it can be seen on Leopold Street but was the medical school on Surrey Street at one time?

The doorway to the Leopold Street Medical School led to stairs up to a school clinic in the 1950's.

When I was about 9 years old I was sent there because I was having problems seeing the classroom blackboard.

I was examined by an elderly chap the double of Kaiser Wilhelm who ordered the nurse to cover one eye. "Read the chart" he boomed. I couldn't even read the big letter at the top. "Cover his other eye". I couldn't read it with that eye either.

When the report went back to school I had been passed 20/20.

My teacher told me to get a referral from our GP (required in those days) to see a private optician.

After a couple of weeks I came out of the opticians sporting a pair of milk bottle bottom tops as lenses.

The Surrey Street Medical School was an Army Recruiting Office when I was a youth and the large stone frieze along the front with the similar latin motto was moved to the new Hallamshire Hospital Medical School by the bus terminus.

If the Surrey Street Medical School was still there it would be suspended 20 feet above the western carriageway of Arundle Gate. Next door to the Central Library was an old Methodist Chapel and then the Medical School building on the corner of Arundle Street opposite the old Art College.

Picture Sheffield S19712

HD

I don't know if this has been posted before, or if Tozzin has covered it in his Retro contributions

Where is this Latin phrase to be found

Church St, the building west of the old Bank up from the Cutlers Hall.?