White House At Rivelin Dams

Ursa Minor

Has anybody got any information on the history of the White House which is now a care home for the elderly on Manchester Road at Rivelin Dams. It's not mentioned at all in the excellent book by Roy Davey "Reminiscing Around Rivelin" which surprises me. The house has been a care home since at least the 1980s but I have been told it was formerly a private dwelling and may have been built by somebody who made his money in the steel industry. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

This place .. Flash Earth,

not covered by my 1965 directory as that area is classed as outside the City boundary,

the building does not appear to be shown on a 1922 map either, so the building of it is was a later date.

I can't help much but in the late 60's/early 70's the daughter of the family living there was a colleague in the City Libraries. Unfortunately despite racking my brain till it hurts I'm blowed if I can rememeber the name. Sorry.

I do remember being told that they bought some ornamental species of ducks for their pond, which promptly migrated to the dam behind Rivelin Post Office!

I Worked at the Whitehouse at Rivelin (if its the same one?) some time around 1963 while serving my apprenticeship as a plumber, the company i worked for was updating the Central Heating.

As far as i can rember the owner of the house was Mr Lomas of J&J Dyson the refactory company.

..some time around 1963 while serving my apprenticeship as a plumber,

Ahh, a plumber, - that explains your interesting choice of avitar.

Pb, the chemical symbol for lead.