Brian Joicey..

Sheffield History

Post your memories of Brian

What do you remember about this player ??

He had a TREMENDOUS 70's haircut !!!!

Guest grandad

I remeber having my photo taken with him as a mascot against Darlington in the Cup. I was about 8 at the time.

Guest fredmciverslovechild

He was a fairly decent striker in what was a wee wee poor side. He wasn't the most technically gifted player but he was a trier; unlike some others.....

Remember him being featured in The Star when he'd just gone out and bought himself a Lotus Europa. He had a couple of good seasons at Barnsley when they were in the old Fourth Division which, to be honest, was more his level. But then had to give up the game through illness; apparently he had some sort of stroke even though he was still in his thirties.

Guest MartinC

He was a fairly decent striker in what was a wee wee poor side. He wasn't the most technically gifted player but he was a trier; unlike some others.....

Remember him being featured in The Star when he'd just gone out and bought himself a Lotus Europa. He had a couple of good seasons at Barnsley when they were in the old Fourth Division which, to be honest, was more his level. But then had to give up the game through illness; apparently he had some sort of stroke even though he was still in his thirties.

His hat-trick v Crystal Palace at Villa Park in 1973 was his finest moment for us.We won 3-2

The team was Grummitt-Rodrigues-Clements-Prophett-Holsgrove-Craig-Henderson-Coyle-Joicey-Sunley-Sissons.sub-Potts

This was a 2nd replay-a fantastic night for us Owls.The attendance was 19,151 and there was at least 10,000 Owls there.

Guest daveyboy66

We were on the Holt end and all round the ground it was a glorious night in a period when we had little to shout about.

I went to his testimonial at barnsley which had a good turnout from wednesday fans

Profile of the Genius that was Brian Joicey from 1975. A dreadful season -Wednesday didn't score in the league between

February 25th and 19th April when Joicey scored against Oxford. By that time we were relegated!

Profile of the Genius that was Brian Joicey from 1975. A dreadful season -Wednesday didn't score in the league between

February 25th and 19th April when Joicey scored against Oxford. By that time we were relegated!

I was at that game (was at most games that miserable season) and it was like we had won the cup when Joicey bundled the ball in. I remember him being interviewed after and making the comment that he was lethal from two feet lol

I was at that game (was at most games that miserable season) and it was like we had won the cup when Joicey bundled the ball in. I remember him being interviewed after and making the comment that he was lethal from two feet lol

I recall after his hat trick at Villa Park, when asked on Radio Sheffield what his strongest point was as a striker he replied he was deadly from 2 inches...!!

I remember a game against Blackpool (won 2-0) played in a thunderstorm and his hair was stuck up by the static, like that blokes from Back to the Future! He had an open goal that night and nearly cleared the scoreboard. He was a cult hero. Magic.

Guest owl capone

In April 74 i was sat in the South stand at a reserve game it was on a Wednesday night and Brian Joicey was sat there with a few of the other players. Whilst i was getting their autographs i asked BJ how he thought we would get on in the next match. He told me in his opinion we would have a good go as we usually did better against the top sides. 3 days later we lost 8-0 at middlesbrough!!!

Guest marconi

He had a "party trick" of knocking the ball out of the keeper's hands, by punching the ball from underneath, and trying to make it look as though the keeper had dropped it. Don't think any referee fell for it though. lol

My Mrs bought a car from Brian, mid nineties when he worked at the Fiat dealership on Suffolk Road, it's not there now of course.

His hat-trick v Crystal Palace at Villa Park in 1973 was his finest moment for us.We won 3-2

The team was Grummitt-Rodrigues-Clements-Prophett-Holsgrove-Craig-Henderson-Coyle-Joicey-Sunley-Sissons.sub-Potts

This was a 2nd replay-a fantastic night for us Owls.The attendance was 19,151 and there was at least 10,000 Owls there.

Went to all three....Palace were nailed on certs with the bookies having spent quite big ! After going down to an early goal at Hillsborough, Willie Henderson mesmorised their defenders to win a penalty at the Leppings lane end....Don't remember who converted it though, in any event the match finished 1-1.

The first replay at Palace we looked down and out but a last minute equaliser for 21st birthday boy David Sunley earnt us a further draw.

Believe it or not the Villa Park second replay cost us very little in transportation as a few of us from the Walkley Cottage decided we would put on a coach. The uptake was slow so the coach was downgraded to a LWB Transit. Well, there had been a run on tickets at Hillsborough and when the star suggested we would be taking over 10000 interest in our trip was resurected. Once again we tried to change our Transit back to a coach but we were too late......

Over thirty of us Travelled to Villa Park in that Transit, was n't too bad going down but what a stink on the way back ! Cheapest away match ever !Twice we went behind an twice we fought back through goals from Joicey...Then at the holt end right in front of us Joicey completed his hat trick, I was going to say a thumping header from a Sissons cross but I can't remember any more....I do though still remember the wild celebrations that went on well into the night.

I reminded Brian of that joyous night when he sold me a Jazz a few years ago !

Regards