What Was This Supermarket ...

Henry Pond

... on Matilda St. One of those forgotten names that niggles.

A small place, opposite the side entrance to Woolworths and later to become House of Holland. When? - late 60's early 70's, and there was a bus stop outside, so prior to being blocked off by the Arundel Way works (I think the buses used to come all the way up Matilda st from Sidney Street)

Claim to fame - they sold nibb-its!

Guest Arch Stanton

was it called "Basics" - think that is what the "Presto" supermarket ended up as at one bit - all the packaging for all items was just plain white...or was to one of those places where you went in and there were barrels of flour, cereal etc which you filled up and paid a weight price on? If it was either I think we would be talking the mid 1980's...

oh and Henry Pond - Medac???

Are you talking about this place

I vaguely remember something about a supermarket, it definitely was House of Holland in later years.

The Golden Dragon is above.

Violet Mays was on the corner, where Forbidden Planet is on the photo.

was it called "Basics" - think that is what the "Presto" supermarket ended up as at one bit - all the packaging for all items was just plain white...or was to one of those places where you went in and there were barrels of flour, cereal etc which you filled up and paid a weight price on? If it was either I think we would be talking the mid 1980's...

No, it was a proper supermarket.

oh and Henry Pond - Medac???

No - Though I'm a Who fan - (City hall, January 1981), to my shame I've never heard "Sell out"

Are you talking about this place

I vaguely remember something about a supermarket, it definitely was House of Holland in later years.

The Golden Dragon is above.

Violet Mays was on the corner, where Forbidden Planet is on the photo.

That's the one!

Guest Arch Stanton

Henry Pond - If you are a Who fan you must hear Sell Out - one of their best. Sounds like nothing else they have done before or since and a real 1960's classic.