Pictures Of Sheffield

RichardB

I thought Bramhall Lane was a spelling mistake but it was repeated 2 or 3 times.

Was that ever the correct spelling, if so when did it change?

The concept of fixed spelling is a relatively new idea, still not taken up by many. There is a discussion about Brammhall Lane here:

Guest plain talker

Suggs ? Pinstone Street ?

No, it's the "new" Marples being built, with the tower of the Castle Market building in the background!

Edit to say, I could be a few yards out in my thinking, it MIGHT be the YEB building, on the Castle Square end of Arundel Gate where the Claymore Pub was, (what's throwing me, is that I would have thought that the Castle Market building would be obscured by C&A Modes' building, on that angle, if it's the YEB)

No, it's the "new" Marples being built, with the tower of the Castle Market building in the background!

Edit to say, I could be a few yards out in my thinking, it MIGHT be the YEB building, on the Castle Square end of Arundel Gate where the Claymore Pub was, (what's throwing me, is that I would have thought that the Castle Market building would be obscured by C&A Modes' building, on that angle, if it's the YEB)

Thought it was Castle Market in the backdrop, but that is as far as I got.

I think it is the C & A Building, on the corner of Angel St and High st.

Angel st to the left and to the right High St heading towards fitzalan Sq

According to later posts it was the Waring & Gillows building, only C&A in later life

I think it is the C & A Building, on the corner of Angel St and High st.

Angel st to the left and to the right High St heading towards fitzalan Sq

Gone for a Burton then

lol

Just a guess on my part to get the ball rolling.

I think it's the new Peter Robinson shop going up, on the site of the bombed out Burtons building. I remember the ruined building was still there on the corner of Angel Street and High Street up to the early sixties. It was replaced by the new Peter Robinson building, which later became Waring & Gillow's furniture shop.

Unless it's the Burtons building actually being demolished ????? I wonder if they were able to re-use some of the original framework? It looks like it was a very solidly built structure, able to stand there for , at least, another 21 years after it was bombed.

Guest plain talker

I am prepared to be wrong... s24, you could be right, the bus stop where the bus is waiting definitely looks as if it corresponds with the bus stop on the photo of the old Burtons.

As I said earlier, it's certainly within a hundred yards of the buildings mentioned.

(What threw me was the Waring and Gillow building, I thought it was as old as C&A Modes, It didn't occur to me it was much later)

I am prepared to be wrong... s24, you could be right, the bus stop where the bus is waiting definitely looks as if it corresponds with the bus stop on the photo of the old Burtons.

As I said earlier, it's certainly within a hundred yards of the buildings mentioned.

(What threw me was the Waring and Gillow building, I thought it was as old as C&A Modes, It didn't occur to me it was much later)

Yes, the bus stop does correspond with the later photo, as does the fall of the road on both sides. And......look at the street lamp standards. They are the same.