Sheridan Family

Guest TheBotanical

Guest TheBotanical

I'm looking for details, census records of my Dad's side of the family. He passed away a few years ago and I have no detail about much of their life or where they lived. My Dad was Peter Sheridan b. about 1946, His Dad was George Sheridan b. about 1906. Both worked for The Sheffield Star and Telegraph for a few years.

Many thanks.

Guest TheBotanical

I'm not sure if it is the same George, but there's a strong possibility it could be. Many thanks History dude! :)

Just one question History Dude. Was this census from Sheffield?

No it wasn't, there was none on the 1911 with just that name in Sheffield. It looks like Lancashire? Do you know George's wife name and the year he died? Ancestry did pull up some marriage and deaths cert info for George Sheridan for Sheffield. I'll get them if you want.

Guest TheBotanical

No it wasn't, there was none on the 1911 with just that name in Sheffield. It looks like Lancashire? Do you know George's wife name and the year he died? Ancestry did pull up some marriage and deaths cert info for George Sheridan for Sheffield. I'll get them if you want.

Many thanks. George died in 1968 and was married to Edna Close who was born in 1910.

George Sheridan married Edna Close between October to December 1935. Found in vol 9C Page 1048. His death occurs in Vol 2D Page 77. It says he was born 1907 about.

Can't track George to Sheffield for the 1911, this one crops up though in Sheffield, but he's a Frank :wacko:

Better look with Edna she's there!

Edna's family are buried at City Road:

CLOSE, Arthur (Bricklayer, age 62).

Died at 12 Herries Rd; Buried on August 7, 1936 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 9042, Section T of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

CLOSE, Edwin (Retired, age 87).

Died at 36 Sutton St; Buried on March 12, 1940 in Consecrated ground;

CLOSE, Elizabeth (Married, age 49).

Died at Wadsley Asylum; Buried on May 7, 1902 in Consecrated ground;

CLOSE, Fred (Mason, age 52).

Died at 36 Sutton St; Buried on November 6, 1931 in Consecrated ground;

Her mother Mary Ann may also be buried in this grave. She died in 1958 which is after the end of this transcription at http://www.sheffieldindexers.com

Edwin and Elizabeth are Edna's grandparents.

Guest TheBotanical

Her mother Mary Ann may also be buried in this grave. She died in 1958 which is after the end of this transcription at http://www.sheffieldindexers.com

HughW, is there anyway that I can find out why Elizabeth was in Wadsley Asylum?

The admission registers up to 1910 were recently published and can be found here:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies/publications/mental-health

However, the entry for Elizabeth doesn't help much. She was admitted on September 5th 1901 and, it seems died on May 2nd of the following year. The cause of her illness was 'not known'. I've read that case notes only survive from 1917 but you could ask Sheffield Archives what other information might be available - they hold the original records. Contact details are here: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies/about-us/contact-us

Hugh

Guest TheBotanical

The admission registers up to 1910 were recently published and can be found here:

https://www.sheffiel...s/mental-health

However, the entry for Elizabeth doesn't help much. She was admitted on September 5th 1901 and, it seems died on May 2nd of the following year. The cause of her illness was 'not known'. I've read that case notes only survive from 1917 but you could ask Sheffield Archives what other information might be available - they hold the original records. Contact details are here: https://www.sheffiel...t-us/contact-us

Hugh

Thanks again Hugh. I'll try Sheffield Archives and post what I find.

Guest TheBotanical

Forgive me if I may sound like a begginer, how did you find out Edna's mother was Mary Ann Hugh. I can't seem to link them together on that site. It's been some years since I first started tracing my family tree and I'm afraid I'm a little rusty.

Forgive me if I may sound like a begginer, how did you find out Edna's mother was Mary Ann, Hugh.

Mary Ann is shown as Edna's mother in the 1911 census, posted by History Dude above.

I think this is likely to be her entry in the death index:

GRO Deaths SEP Qtr 1958

CLOSE Mary A 79

Sheffield 2d 186

Guest TheBotanical

Mary Ann is shown as Edna's mother in the 1911 census, posted by History Dude above.

I think this is likely to be her entry in the death index:

GRO Deaths SEP Qtr 1958

CLOSE Mary A 79

Sheffield 2d 186

Many thanks again Hugh.

I'm looking for details, census records of my Dad's side of the family. He passed away a few years ago and I have no detail about much of their life or where they lived. My Dad was Peter Sheridan b. about 1946, His Dad was George Sheridan b. about 1906. Both worked for The Sheffield Star and Telegraph for a few years.

Many thanks.

I went to school with a Peter Sheridan that would have been born about 1946. Did he go to Firs Hill School 1951 to 1955? He stay in the Sutherland road bath area.

Guest TheBotanical

I went to school with a Peter Sheridan that would have been born about 1946. Did he go to Firs Hill School 1951 to 1955? He stay in the Sutherland road bath area.

He was born in 1946 so that would be a no. Thanks for your reply though :-)

Guest TheBotanical

He was born in 1946 so that would be a no. Thanks for your reply though :-)

I think you may have mis-read vic's message - '1946' is a point of agreement :)

Sorry I misread your message. I don't know that much about my father. I do have a picture of him when he was younger though it's on pdf only.

Sorry I misread your message. I don't know that much about my father. I do have a picture of him when he was younger though it's on pdf only.

Would love to see the picture to see if it the Peter I knew. You can send it to me at vic@okavelectron.com if you dont want to post it here.

Guest TheBotanical

That would make Arthur 25 on the census and not 35? That's a big jump. I think this may be two seperate families.unless anyone can find a census with both Edwin's on and Arthur and Fred?

That would make Arthur 25 on the census and not 35? That's a big jump. I think this may be two seperate families.unless anyone can find a census with both Edwin's on and Arthur and Fred?

The 1881 census shows 2 Edwins, an Arthur and a Frederick at 2/14 Victoria Street:

Guest TheBotanical
The 1881 census shows 2 Edwins, an Arthur and a Frederick at 2/14 Victoria Street:

Ignore my lack of intelligence, I was never good at Maths. Just worked it out again and saw where I went wrong. A huge thankyou for your help! Wonder why he wasn't buried in the family plot.