Punk Rock

RichardB

Some on TV right now, always been obvious to me The Clash were the poorest of the lot - not just the major players - the worst of all of 'em.

I'll await the abuse incoming.

London Calling = the only worthwhile song for me.

Still not a patch on Babylons Burning by The Ruts.

I'd disagree with you there Richard - there were definately a lot worse and I rather liked the Clash. !!! they made a few bad records but some bloody brilliant ones too.

You are most welcome to disagree and to provide testimony to counter my comment.

Just because I thought they were rubbish, white-trash reggae doesn't mean that is fact - just an opinion. I'm a tad older than you, had a solid grounding in rock before the punk thing happened - still doesn't make me right.

I'd disagree with you there Richard - there were definately a lot worse and I rather liked the Clash. !!! they made a few bad records but some bloody brilliant ones too.

Never heard of it, but, good on Violet May.

What flavour of punk was it ?

London Pub rock. Kilburn and the Highroads, later to evolve into Disco-punk

Super pop-song punk e.g. Eddie and the Hot Rods "Do Anything you wanna do", anything by The Undertones, Rezillos

Manufactured Punk e.g. Sex Pistols - superb guitar on Pretty Vacant = womder how much they actually had to do with it ?

60's punk e.g. The Jam or The Small Faces as they were previously known ... he says

Garage - check out The Count Five and Psychotic Reaction = 1967 or thereabouts, prefect ...

Avant-garde = Talking Heads/Television - nowhere near punk

Sluggers = The Stranglers, again nowhere near punk - The Doors with risque lyrics.

etc etc

Violet May ordered me out of her shop for asking for this:

Just a spoof record :D

A bit like "I was a punk before you were a punk" by The Tubes

My own favourites were:

early Boomtown Rats "Mary of the 4th Form" & "Looking after Number 1"

X-Ray Spex "Teenage Adolescent"

Sham 69 "Hurry up Harry"

Happy Days :D