Ariel View ?

togger

Hi All,

Long shot i know this one, but a challenge for some of you all the same, and i know you like that :)

Is there an ariel photograph of Princess Street showing the Wesleyan Chapel circa pre 1915 ish or if not, does anyone know of an image of Princess Street Wesleyan Chapel before it was lost in 1916?

Picture Sheffield has one of the Chapel but as it is being demolished not in its entirity. I am trying to identify exactly where it was in relation to Princess Street and Windsor Street as you come under the Railway arch at the bottom of Windsor Street, Princess Street end.

By 'eck Togger, you do go in for long shots! 1915, aerial photgraphy was in its infancy, and pretty much restricted to the war fronts. :huh:

Hi togger,

Does this map help - 1890? The chapel (Wesleyan, 340 seats) is not named on the map but it looks like it may be the one you're interested in?

By 'eck Togger, you do go in for long shots! 1915, aeriel photgraphy was in its infancy, and pretty much resticted to the war fronts. :huh:

Ha ha, very true. I seem to remember that somewhere I have seen some aeriel images of Sheffield from around that time (I think), although I could be wrong. I have never seen an image of the Methodist church though and there seems to be hundreds of images of chapels in Sheffield. I am hoping that someone out there has one.

Thanks Ted and yes that's the one as Steve has done in his image (cheers Steve). This really does give some idea of whe it was.

It's a top idea and one I will be using from now on, unless you have the copyright :-)

By 'eck Togger, you do go in for long shots! 1915, aerial photgraphy was in its infancy, and pretty much restricted to the war fronts. :huh:

Probably done by balloon rather than by those new fangled aeroplanes.

Make a start by dropping the pre-Town Hall area (say 1890) back on top of the Town Hall ... or plonking Town Hall 2 back near Cloes Corner ... then Steve can sue you - Happy Days he he

It's a top idea and one I will be using from now on, unless you have the copyright :-)

The oldest Ariel shots I've seen are the 1929 shots of Manor, which are on Picture Sheffield. I don't know if the plane that took those flew over the town at all. There's a nice one looking at Manor Top, from the plane flying over Intake, which gives a view into the town. But you can't see much for the smog ;-) So he might not wanted to fly into that!

Good shot too, DaveH, of the Arbourthorne before any houses were built :)

October 1921 is the one to beat then ...

Aerial view of Thomas W. Ward's, Albion Works, Savile Street... S02475

The oldest Ariel shots I've seen are the 1929 shots of Manor, which are on Picture Sheffield.

The oldest Ariel shots I've seen are the 1929 shots of Manor, which are on Picture Sheffield. I don't know if the plane that took those flew over the town at all. There's a nice one looking at Manor Top, from the plane flying over Intake, which gives a view into the town. But you can't see much for the smog ;-) So he might not wanted to fly into that!

Also one of the houses under construction in the 1930's as well

October 1921 is the one to beat then ...

Aerial view of Thomas W. Ward's, Albion Works, Savile Street... S02475

Now that was pretty close to showing the chapel. Thanks and proves that there were ariel images around that time

English Heritage will very soon be launching a new website called Britain from Above, containing Aerofilms photos from 1919 to 1953. There are a number of the Manor estate under construction dated 1927 and some later dated 1929.

English Heritage will very soon be launching a new website called Britain from Above, containing Aerofilms photos from 1919 to 1953. There are a number of the Manor estate under construction dated 1927 and some later dated 1929.

Let me know when it's up and running :)

I bet that one of Prince of Wales Road that features in a Star book is one of the 1927 construction shots ;-)

Let me know when it's up and running :)

I bet that one of Prince of Wales Road that features in a Star book is one of the 1927 construction shots ;-)

Watch this space ;-)