Other Forums You Joined, Quit, Expelled, Or Won't Join

History dude

Apart from Sheffield History I'm just wondering if you have joined any other forums on other sites? Plus If you packed them in. Or got banned!

Maybe you came apoun a forum that seemed interesting, but decided not to sign up.

Personally I was on Sheffield Forum for a while, but quit as felt one or two were long term members were like bullies. After I told them I was quitting, they later sent a message that I was banned :rolleyes: I don't go to it much to see what is happening, last time I went AVG stopped a nasty virus, so I can't recommend it as a site to visit.

There was a great forum, which I won't name that was an historial site, well designed with very good graphics that covered writers and Kings & Queens. The person who had designed it, when I joined, was away - off sick - so another person was in charge. With my knowledge of Shakespeare and Elizabeth 1st and Mary Queen of Scots I was able to add lots of threads and all seem to welcome my imput. So much so I went from a Serf to a High Duke quickly.

One day I went on and found that the person who was off sick was back. Things changed quickly. One day I found that well over half my posts had been deleted. The rest and been reduced or edited to look like I was some kind of kid asking a question. When I asked why, the answer was "sping cleaning". I didn't make the same mistake as saying I was quitting. So I stopped posting.

Last time I went there the forum had gone completely, though it says on the website you can go there. In practice you can't.

Apart from this I am a member of UKMIX, a music forum. An odd site, but good for it's archive. They are nuts about people being Trolls. And ban members for doing that often. But don't ask me what a Troll is there :blink: I still don't know, but at least I won't get a ban, cause I wouldn't know that I was doing it he he

Personally I was on Sheffield Forum for a while, but quit as felt one or two were long term members were like bullies. After I told them I was quitting, they later sent a message that I was banned :rolleyes: I don't go to it much to see what is happening, last time I went AVG stopped a nasty virus, so I can't recommend it as a site to visit.

Just to put things straight.

Sheffield Forum does not contain viruses,

I have used the forum for many years without any problems, and have never

come across any other member who have contracted a computer virus

from the site.

It is also common place for people who have been suspended from a forum to spread

rumours that the forum contains threats to computer security.

Living in a remote outpost of the colonies, we try to soak up everything Sheffield.

I joined Sheffield Chat but soon found they have no language restrictions, so I never progressed past the intro stage.

My wife was surfing Sheffield Forum and stumbled across her name in a post about Hinde House School where she'd been a pupil in the 60's. and she renewed a friendship with an old classmate.

Sheffield History is the only forum I read - unless anyone has any other suggestions? ;-)

I used to go on Sheffield Forum but rarely do now. There are too many trolls and too much aggression and bad language.

I use Sheffield Forum and have at times had McAfee warnings pop up.

I am signed up as a member of Sheffield Forum which predates my membership of Sheffield History.

I have never experienced any problems or security threats from it.

I do not enjoy the style of of the Forum as much as the this site, so I chose to come on here and make posts on here.

That does NOT mean that there is anything wrong with SF at all, it is just my personal preference.

In fact, it is so long since I logged in to SF as opposed to just had a look (which I do regularly) that I have forgotten my username and password to log in, so if I wanted to post I would have to sign up for a new account.

I used to go on Sheffield Forum but rarely do now. There are too many trolls and too much aggression and bad language.

What are these trolls?

Mythical Norse folklore creatures?

Something out of J.R.R. Tolkiens The Hobbit?

How can fictional creatures be posting on Sheffield Forum?

If they can how many are posting on here? :unsure:

I am signed up as a member of Sheffield Forum which predates my membership of Sheffield History.

I have never experienced any problems or security threats from it.

I do not enjoy the style of of the Forum as much as the this site, so I chose to come on here and make posts on here.

That does NOT mean that there is anything wrong with SF at all, it is just my personal preference.

In fact, it is so long since I logged in to SF as opposed to just had a look (which I do regularly) that I have forgotten my username and password to log in, so if I wanted to post I would have to sign up for a new account.

I seem to remember the problems with security were from some of the adverts on there.

Joined original MS Chat room #Coffeehouse (mid 1998), progressed to Friends of Titans Tavern - stayed there for 10 years - we progressed through a series of servers becoming independant with our our server.

General chat, made many great friends, made three trips to meet members, some of whom remain friends to this day.

PG-13 rated, so clean, friendly - just fun.

Moderator status so unlikely to have been banned or anything.

Limited membership, but worldwide many long-standing members.

I miss the place.

I seem to remember the problems with security were from some of the adverts on there.

This is correct, for a while the adverts were causing problems. Over time the advert engine has served up completely inappropriate adverts as well, but that is not their fault it happens at the sheffield star as well.

I think the real issue was that some of the adverts on SF were flash formats which can harbour built in scripts and in theory pose a security risk to a home user, as you can hide a keylogger or a hidden program in a flash script, and people with various virus protecction and high levels of browser protection were having problems.

It wasn't their fault but it was amaterurish.

Stick with here, we're trying to be the best there is at what we do, so what if it's often quiet, it's friendly and at least you know you're more likely to get help than flamed.

Sheffield History is the only forum I read - unless anyone has any other suggestions? ;-)

I'm still a member of Sheffield Forum, but find some threads tend to descend into a style not unlike CB Radio chat.

I occasionally visit 28 Days later and MHP (www.meldrum.co.uk)

Just to put things straight.

Sheffield Forum does not contain viruses,

I have used the forum for many years without any problems, and have never

come across any other member who have contracted a computer virus

from the site.

It is also common place for people who have been suspended from a forum to spread

rumours that the forum contains threats to computer security.

Sorry SteveHB, as I said I left them and told them I thought there was a bullying problem, they wanted further details, but I just wasn't interested in getting into fights or issues on the subject. After that they gave me a ban. I never had any intention of posting there again before the ban.

A long time after that I was following up some local history story which had cropped up from a goggle search and brought me to the site. A few pages into the thread a nasty virus got past AVG and attacked my operating system. Thinking I had got shut of it, next morning I started my computor and it went to a my green start up screen with windows XP logo but nothing else loaded. In the end I had to re-install Windows XP on my drive C. It had caused that much damage :unsure:

What are these trolls?

Mythical Norse folklore creatures?

Something out of J.R.R. Tolkiens The Hobbit?

How can fictional creatures be posting on Sheffield Forum?

If they can how many are posting on here? :unsure:

I'm not too certain what these trolls are :wacko: But it seems some forums don't like a thread on a subject being bumped to the top of the pile of threads. Especially if it doesn't add any new information on the subject. Or has no replies from other members. For example posting something like the word "rubbish". Then the same person keeps adding to the thread. I think that's what a Troll is? :blink:

I look in on Sheffield Forum occasionally but post infrequently, mostly in historical threads about transport (funny, that......)

Most of the other Forums I am a member of are transport related and my posts tend to be either historical or related to the Preserved Railway where I volunteer.

I have never been expelled from any, and the only one I have left was because I felt it was not worth paying the membership fee for the amount of use I made of it..

I have never been expelled from any, and the only one I have left was because I felt it was not worth paying the membership fee for the amount of use I made of it..

Whats that??

Whats that??

Don't worry THYLACINE, we don't have a membership fee on here.

Sheffield History is free, polite and helpful remember.

As much friendly help as you want and it will cost you nothing, - I don't think we can say fairer or do better than that can we.

I'm not too certain what these trolls are :wacko: But it seems some forums don't like a thread on a subject being bumped to the top of the pile of threads. Especially if it doesn't add any new information on the subject. Or has no replies from other members. For example posting something like the word "rubbish". Then the same person keeps adding to the thread. I think that's what a Troll is? :blink:

So when someone on this site makes a post which just says "Just bringing this back up to the top" technically they are trolls then!

Members have been known to do this when, for example a seasonal topic is coming round again like Christmas or Rememberance day so that other members may find it easily and post in it. I can't see a problem with that at all, - just being helpful and possibly avoiding the risk of someone starting off a duplicate topic.

Then again, I can see that it is open to misuse and abuse as well.

Whats that??

Something I wasn't prepared to pay :).

It was a forum where membership came as part of a magazine subscription, and after a year or so I decided it wasn't worth paying for.

Being from Yorkshire I tend to prefer the free froums lol.

So when someone on this site makes a post which just says "Just bringing this back up to the top" technically they are trolls then!

Members have been known to do this when, for example a seasonal topic is coming round again like Christmas or Rememberance day so that other members may find it easily and post in it. I can't see a problem with that at all, - just being helpful and possibly avoiding the risk of someone starting off a duplicate topic.

Then again, I can see that it is open to misuse and abuse as well.

I couldn't Imagine it being a problem on a Forum such as Sheffield History. It happens mostly when you get compeating fans for something. Football or Music Forums being the most obvious ones.

Sheffield History is very friendly :)

From what I've seen of other Forums they tend to be friendly. However sometimes they can change when the people in charge leave and replace by others who want to take the forum down another path. That's when others leave or bans become more common. I suppose that happens in many things and projects and is not just connected to forums.

Some of the big Forums with huge members numbers are fine in some sections, very friendly even. But sometimes not so in sub-sections. A case in point was a certain forum had a good history section with friendly people where I never had any problems. Yet it had a writers section, where I did. The cause of this was simply that I was looking at self-publishing. The others and one person inparticular was very against this form of publishing.

I think a Forum Troll is someone who deliberately makes a post that is designed to generate a controversial response. A recent one regarding the Yorkshire Ripper had me wondering.

My understanding of a forum troll is someone who, as Mike says, makes a deliberately provocative post, not because of any opinion they hold, but simply to provoke a response and if possible, upset someone's feelings or sincerely held view. Having got the reponse they're looking for they then continue to needle the other parties. They have nothing intelligent or worthwhile to offer, and once challenged will usually resort to personal abuse.

As far as I'm aware this forum is remarkably troll-free, and long may it be so.

Trolling is a method of fishing where a lure or bait is dragged through the water from a moving boat (to troll), thus luring a fish to bite at or take the bait.

Trolling;

Purposely posting something on a forum with the intention to annoy or encourage (lure) a member or members to object to it (bite back).

My understanding of a forum troll is someone who, as Mike says, makes a deliberately provocative post, not because of any opinion they hold, but simply to provoke a response and if possible, upset someone's feelings or sincerely held view. Having got the reponse they're looking for they then continue to needle the other parties. They have nothing intelligent or worthwhile to offer, and once challenged will usually resort to personal abuse.

As far as I'm aware this forum is remarkably troll-free, and long may it be so.

Deliberately provoking someone and then turning nasty about. :o

I don't like the sound of that at all. :wacko:

Fortunately, as you say Bayleaf it is very rare and almost unknown on our friendly and helpful forum.

How lucky we are and long may it continue to be that way.

Trolling is a method of fishing where a lure or bait is dragged through the water from a moving boat (to troll), thus luring a fish to bite at or take the bait.

Trolling;

Purposely posting something on a forum with the intention to annoy or encourage (lure) a member or members to object to it (bite back).

Not to be confused with trawling, which I seem to do quite a bit of.