Washing Day...

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

If you're over a certain age, you'll probably remember that Monday was always the washing day. No washing machines or tumble driers, just a gas boiler to heat the water, (and lots of it) a couple of 'dolly tubs', a 'dolly posher' and a hand turned mangle.

Sunday night father would get the tubs out of the cellar and placed outside ready for Monday morning. I always remember coming home from school and, in winter, the whole house had a steamy warmth. Clothes were dried on the fireguard or a folding clothes horse or a rack hanging from the kitchen ceiling. Everything was ironed, no easy iron or non crease material in those days. Sorry ladies, today, you've got it easy.

I remember Monday washing day well, was surprised that the ceiling racks were still available.Hadn't seen one for ages.

Guest nosy nellie

Can anyone remember having a bath in the set pot after washing day was over.

None of the good hot water was wasted it was used to wash the steps and swill the outside after the kitchen floor had been washed.And it was always hash for tea on wash days.

Guest tsavo

Was a bit thrown by set pot. Googled it and find it was what we called the gas copper boiler. This was used, especially at Christmas, to keep the bread fresh. Theese were wrapped in damp tea towels and lasted through the holiday.

Also noticed that what I would call a posher was also known as a posser. Thanks for the info! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I remember our old kitchen table doubled as the washing machine - you could take the top off or slide it (cannot remember) and underneath was the washing tub and the mangle - once all the clothes were in the tub the lid was put on and you could turn a large handle on top - this turned the 'paddle' that agitated the clothes.

If it was a fine day the clothes went out into the communal backyard where everyone else was doing the same thing - oh it was great fun running round the yard through all the drying bed sheets - even more fun when someone's mother gave you a clip round the ear - 'I spent all morning washing those you little b*** - if they come off that line you are in trouble ' - no point going back to your Mum to tell her that 'Mrs so an so' has given you a clip 'cus you would more than likely get another one for being so naughty and ruining other peoples washing.

If it was raining the washing was dried on clothes horses in front of the fire, backs of chairs etc. At some point my Mum was given an electric dryer - this was like one of those expandable telescopic clothes horses, but at the bottom was a small electric heater. I have no doubt it would not be allowed on sale nowadays - given the potential risk for fire etc.

Guest echo

I remember our old kitchen table doubled as the washing machine - you could take the top off or slide it (cannot remember) and underneath was the washing tub and the mangle - once all the clothes were in the tub the lid was put on and you could turn a large handle on top - this turned the 'paddle' that agitated the clothes.

If it was a fine day the clothes went out into the communal backyard where everyone else was doing the same thing - oh it was great fun running round the yard through all the drying bed sheets - even more fun when someone's mother gave you a clip round the ear - 'I spent all morning washing those you little b*** - if they come off that line you are in trouble ' - no point going back to your Mum to tell her that 'Mrs so an so' has given you a clip 'cus you would more than likely get another one for being so naughty and ruining other peoples washing.

If it was raining the washing was dried on clothes horses in front of the fire, backs of chairs etc. At some point my Mum was given an electric dryer - this was like one of those expandable telescopic clothes horses, but at the bottom was a small electric heater. I have no doubt it would not be allowed on sale nowadays - given the potential risk for fire etc.

I remember those dryers. They were called 'Hawkins High Dry'.

Monday was always washing day in our house too, we always had fry up for tea, using the left over meat from the sunday roast and fried potatoes and veg, usually served with picked onion, red cabbage or beetroot.

I remember my mum also going to the wash house on Oakes Green usually in winter, we would call there on our way home from school. She would have spent the whole day washing and drying the bedding and towels.

Glad to say, I do love progress and my automatic washer is wonderful!

Monday was always washing day in our house too, we always had fry up for tea, using the left over meat from the sunday roast and fried potatoes and veg, usually served with picked onion, red cabbage or beetroot.

I remember my mum also going to the wash house on Oakes Green usually in winter, we would call there on our way home from school. She would have spent the whole day washing and drying the bedding and towels.

Glad to say, I do love progress and my automatic washer is wonderful!