Martin Olive

History dude

I have many fond memories of Martin Olive, the chap who worked in Local Studies for many years. You could guarantee that if Martin was working the day you went there, he would find whatever you were looking for, even if it was obscure :huh:

One time the History teacher at Walthoef had asked me to get some copies of the photos of the local areas where the kids came from. At that time the photocopier at local studies wasn't the best and Walthoef was the latest one you could get. So armed with a letter from the head saying I was helping the school, I went to L. S. to see what I could get them. Martin after explaining to him, then got a couple of boxes of photos from the area the school covered, made a list of the numbers and I was able to take them to the school and they photocopied them.

Nothing was too much trouble for Martin :)

What's he doing know?.. I wonder if he's a member hiding away... Probably not... He would be able to answere all the questions and there would be no debates ;-) he he

A very knowledgeable and self-effacing person. he's still around, though whether he's still doing talks I don't know. I saw him recently at Shepherd Wheel. He lived for a while at the Round House at Ringinglow. He hasn't lived there for many years but I think he may still own it?

When he bought it he painted the outside a sort of cinnamon colour and was roundly criticised by many for vandalising the place. Martin was quite upset - he'd spent ages researching to find the original colour so he could restore it!

I worked with Martin too for several years in Central library .. the most gentle, knowledgable and assiduous person you could meet.
There was a surprise feature in the garden at the Roundhouse too, fashioned by him.. spoiler un-alert!).
I haven't seen him for a few years.. he was far too modest for his own good!