Zeppelin Bomb 1927 ?

I have just heard that back in 1927 a bomb was found in Sheffield which was apparently an unexplored bomb from the Zeppelin raid of 1916. Has anyone got any info please?

My gt grandma Elizabeth Bellamy nee Pigott was killed by a Zeppelin bomb whilst at 43 Writtle St in 1916. I know the house must have been damaged as gt grandad William Bellamy lived in a different house for some years before moving back to the original one sometime before 1925 so there must have been an on-going programme of re-building for some years. Maybe it went on for 11 years so they were finding bombs until rebuilding finished ?

You can still see the shrapnel hole damage to the front of the house wall of 43 writtle street to this day. There must have been substantial damage to the house for the repairs to take that long. Are the any surviving images ?

You can still see the shrapnel hole damage to the front of the house wall of 43 writtle street to this day. There must have been substantial damage to the house for the repairs to take that long. Are the any surviving images ?

Writtle Street was renamed Maxwell Way.

View Larger Map

Hi Togger, I didn't know Writtle St is still there - can you point me at it please ?

Sorry just seen later post re Maxwell St

Thanks, John

Hi John,

As above re named Maxwell Way and on the front wall you can clearly see the holes still there and on a few of the surrounding properties.