Mud Mill Dam

togger

Hi all,

Can anyone enlighten me on where the mud mill dam near the premises Messrs. Sanderson Bros, at Brightside, Sheffield please ?

Not come across that before - could be related to this?

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1251368

Could well be this water. I ask because of this newspaper article I found recently:

Gloucester Citizen Newspaper Thursday 4th August 1927

FOUND. Zeppelin bomb dropped during war was found in the mud mill-dam near the premises Messrs. Sanderson Bros, at Brightside, Sheffield ?

This is new to me, I certainly have not heard of this before

I do not know as to whether the following provides any additional clarity, but according to information recorded in the Sheffield Flood Claims Archive, a claim [no: 4592], was submitted by Edward Fisher Sanderson, Henry Furniss & Edward Hudson Trading under the firm of Sanderson Brothers & Co for the sum of £1,158 1s 4d.

The claim, which is described quite extensively, states that "The Property in respect of which damage is claimed as above mentioned is situate on or near Attercliffe Forge on the Parish of Sheffield".

Other reference within the "Particulars of the Claim" state:-

1: "An Estimate of Damage and Loss occasioned by Flood from the Bursting of the Bradfield Reservoir to Crops and Land in the Occupation of Messrs. Sanderson Brothers and Attercliffe Forge and Slitting Mills Farm"

2: "To Labour Walling and Repairing damage done by the Flood, Farm Fences, at Forge and Slitting Mill Farm at Attercliffe Forge"

3: "Joiners Shop and Stock of Wood injured by the Flood at Attercliffe Forge"

4: "Particulars of Damage to Finished Steel at Attercliffe Works caused by the Bradfield Inundation March 12 1864"

5: "Materials and Carriage thereof necessary for the repairs of Fence Walls adjoining the River and other Property at Attercliffe Forge damaged by the Flood"