Image Required (If Possible) Please

togger

Hi all,

I attach an image of the Norfolk Arms at the top of Bungay Street, Park because the image i have is very, very small. I want a larger image because my Grandfather lived at 104 Bungay Street. He was a builder after the war and on this image there is a square board protruding out from the wall.

Older members of my family tell me that it was put up by my Grandad and it said "P May, builder" or similar, but on the image i have you cannot see it. I am hoping that if anyone has a larger image they might be in a position to make out some graphics , so, can anyone help please ?

What year(s) please ?

Polite map request please, any year, if he's stuck a sign on a pub, he might have lived around the corner; I've not much knowledge of Bungay but more importantly, I've no idea what the streets nearby were called.

Thank you for the pub picture - cheered up my evening no end :rolleyes:

They defo lived at 104 Bungay Street during and after the 2nd World war and were there till the mid 1950s. Bungay street is just off South street (see map)

Hi all,

I attach an image of the Norfolk Arms at the top of Bungay Street, Park because the image i have is very, very small. I want a larger image because my Grandfather lived at 104 Bungay Street. He was a builder after the war and on this image there is a square board protruding out from the wall.

Older members of my family tell me that it was put up by my Grandad and it said "P May, builder" or similar, but on the image i have you cannot see it. I am hoping that if anyone has a larger image they might be in a position to make out some graphics , so, can anyone help please ?

I can't tell you what was on the sign, but me and a pal from school went exploring in that pub when it was empty and awaiting being demolished.

We wandered all around the pub and even the beer engines were still in place fastened to the bar. The large bore brass tubes that conveyed the beer from the cellar were still in place.

This would be about 1958/9. Nowadays they would all be gone as soon as the removal van pulled away.

HD

Nice map work, Thank you. Best I can offer is to check Kelly's 1957 (at work, tomorrow).

They defo lived at 104 Bungay Street during and after the 2nd World war and were there till the mid 1950s. Bungay street is just off South street (see map)

Beer engines, mmmmmmmmmmm lol

I can't tell you what was on the sign, but me and a pal from school went exploring in that pub when it was empty and awaiting being demolished.

We wandered all around the pub and even the beer engines were still in place fastened to the bar. The large bore brass tubes that conveyed the beer from the cellar were still in place.

This would be about 1958/9. Nowadays they would all be gone as soon as the removal van pulled away.

HD

Beer engines, mmmmmmmmmmm lol

No Richard, hilldweller hasn't solved the world fuel crisis.

Engines WILL run on alcohol,

..but not a fermented brew which contains only about 5% alcohol and 95% water

I was going to try my motor on Stout tomorrow ... maybe with a cherry on a stick.

No Richard, hilldweller hasn't solved the world fuel crisis.

Engines WILL run on alcohol,

..but not a fermented brew which contains only about 5% alcohol and 95% water

I was going to try my motor on Stout tomorrow ... maybe with a cherry on a stick.

With beer at over £2 a pint, which is over £16 a gallon, and petrol at around £1.40 a litre, or £6.36 a gallon even if it would work, and even if it gave similar consumption figures per mile it would still be much more expensive to run on beer than on petrol.

You could trawl this site and see if anything crops up,

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/search/apachesolr_search/Park%20Area%20of%20Sheffield%20in%20the%201950%27s?mode=quick&solrsort=score+desc%2C+sis_cck_field_film_id+asc&filters=type:yfa_film&highlight=park-area-of-sheffield-in-the-1950-s

I wasn't thinking of actually moving so fuel consumption isn't a problem, just sitting in the car and making best use of the fuel tank capacity; might need an updated gear stick to regulate the throughput and the steering wheel has to go obviously - up on bricks the wheels could be used for nuts, crisps, pig-bits and pickled-eggs - none of which I'm allowed, but I might turn a small profit from passers-by ... get a disco-ball in the back, pool-table on the roof and some 80's disco/electro-pop and we are all set.

With beer at over £2 a pint, which is over £16 a gallon, and petrol at around £1.40 a litre, or £6.36 a gallon even if it would work, and even if it gave similar consumption figures per mile it would still be much more expensive to run on beer than on petrol.

I wasn't thinking of actually moving so fuel consumption isn't a problem, just sitting in the car and making best use of the fuel tank capacity; might need an updated gear stick to regulate the throughput and the steering wheel has to go obviously - up on bricks the wheels could be used for nuts, crisps, pig-bits and pickled-eggs - none of which I'm allowed, but I might turn a small profit from passers-by ... get a disco-ball in the back, pool-table on the roof and some 80's disco/electro-pop and we are all set.

Hmmmm...

I think we've both had enough to drink tonight with the way this conversation is going

Shall we get back to helping out togger with his original question about the sign outside the pub and tracking down a better picture (preferably a readable one) of the sign.

Spoilsport ! I was just being a little surreal.

Hmmmm...

I think we've both had enough to drink tonight with the way this conversation is going

Shall we get back to helping out togger with his original question about the sign outside the pub and tracking down a better picture (preferably a readable one) of the sign.

Bungay Street not listed in 1957 Directory. Might have been standing but unoccupied ...

This would be about 1958/9 ...

Patrick May Coulson, born December 6th 1915, son of Thomas William Coulson and Beatrice Howells "Beatress" - that one ??

Hi all,

Beatrice previously married to Patrick James May ??

Patrick James May born 1878, Sheffield, died July 7th at 6 Court, 3 House, Park as shown on your map.

Source

(No closer to a picture of anything but that was always going to be a big ask.)

That's the one

Patrick James May was the Father of Patrick May my Grandfather. My Grandfather when he married Edith Tew moved in to 104 Bungay street and that's where he had the board outside on the wall.