Cross Keys Handsworth

knightstemplar

Does anyone know what is in store for the Cross Keys Pub at Handsworth as it looks like it is having a refit. :unsure:

The only thing that concerns me is that it was known for its oak panelling and wondered if they would be ripping this out. I passed it on the way to work this morning and the skip outside had what looked like oak furniture in it which was being emptied by the locals as soon as it was put in. :(

Would they really strip this old building of its history? Anyone heard anything?

Sue

Guest jeyre60152

I remember drinking in the cross keys a long time ago when I was about 14. Ahh, the good old days!!!!!

R U local then? ;-)

Edit:Just read your profile. Ive lived in Handsworth most of my life, only live a couple of miles up the road now.

Hope they are kind to the old Cross Keys and dont spoil it.

Sue

Guest jeyre60152

R U local then? ;-)

Edit:Just read your profile. Ive lived in Handsworth most of my life, only live a couple of miles up the road now.

Hope they are kind to the old Cross Keys and dont spoil it.

Sue

Born on Littledale Estate, (off Prince of Wales road), went to Birley/Frechville and then lived opposite The White Rose for about 10 years till I joined the RAF

U go to Brook school then? I left in 1983. Lived at Handsworth near Norfolk Arms then.

Guest jeyre60152

U go to Brook school then? I left in 1983. Lived at Handsworth near Norfolk Arms then.

Yes, should have left in the summer of '80 but stayed to do a few 'O' Level resits and got thrown out on Friday 13th February 1981 cos I was never there. Cant remember the name of the head of 6th Form but as I recall she was a bit of an old hippy?

Used to go in the Norfolk Arms when it was 2 rooms. Couldn't believe the difference when I went back to visit and it had turned into a Yuppie Pub, probably around '83/'84.

Guest jamesbondniuk

I left brooke (just before it changed to stradbrooke) back in '85.

i lived near the norfolk arms too (one of my hot spots for the disco on a saturday night) lol

Always started at the cross keys as a meeting point, how is it these days, have you been into it yet since its been getting done up?

What ever happened to the cockel and muscle man :blink: ? :rolleyes:

The Cross Keys was a great little pub. Used to go there in my (much too young) younger days.

Friday nights the word would go out that the police were visiting and we would all scarper back to the Church Youth Club. We think the locals used to get the word about so that they could get a seat in the pub.

Used to play for Handsworth Rovers FC and Fridays used to be domino team nights before the game on Saturdays.

Played with the Shutts, Nolans, Bob Beatty, Johny Bird, Jimmy Smith, Tiger Woods and all. They were all great footballers. They used to build me up with Guiness and fish & chips for supper. Salt of the earth all of them.