Sheffield Star

Stuart0742

Take it back to your newsagents, see how long you can keep a straight face while you complain about the delivery times.

Then in a week or so you'll be able to take back the 1935 Green 'Un.

Not got a 1935 Green-un yet

Not in brilliant condition - I know you like a challenge - in the scheme of things it is quite old for a newspaper ....

Thats why then lol

I hate getting the Star at 7:15 every morning, its full of non news, I dont want to read about Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster or Chesterfield. Just why cant we have full in depth reports about Court Cases like we used to have in the fifties, its just like a church magazine now. The Retro is the best thing to happen to the Star so Ive decided just to buy the Star on a Saturday. The Editor Jeremy Clifford is trying to push people on to the Stars facebook/twitter page which doesnt interest me in the slightest, he states "its the way to go" but its not, I like to hold a paper and read it, I dont want to sit at computer reading comments from what seem to be young people.

The Retro is the best thing to happen to the Star so Ive decided just to buy the Star on a Saturday.

I couldn't agree with you more Tozzin, and that is exactly what I have been doing for the last 2 years.

Just why cant we have full in depth reports about Court Cases like we used to have in the fifties, its just like a church magazine now.

On this very day it is the court case, in Sheffield, of the young man who had me and many other local residents in our area evacuated from our homes for 3 days last May while the Police and Bomb Squad made sure we were safe from his alleged bomb making activities and removed chemicals associated with explosives from his home.

Of course I am more than just a little bit interested in this case for a number of reasons.

Is there anything about it in the local newspaper, The Star in a court report?

I think Tozzin has already answered that one for me.

I like to hold a paper and read it.

A used, read newspaper also comes in very useful.

The days when chip shops used them to wrap your chips up in (Good thermal insulator is 2 sheets of The Star) are long gone due to health and safety concerns about food coming into contact with that dirty carcon black newsprint ink.

Also long gone are the days when my dad got up early on a cold winters morning to empty the ashes and relight the fire in the front room with 2 shovelfulls of coal, a zip firelighter and a copy of the previous days Star.

However, I keep caged birds and the used newspapers come in handy for putting in the bottom of the cages, it's cheaper than sandpaper, keeps their mess in one place and the lovebirds can shread it up with their beak at a very rapid rate and turn it into nesting material for themselves.

THE STAR & ME OR SHOULD THAT BE I

Its funny that something that has been a part of my life for nearly sixty years and never ever gave it a second thought, till to-day that is and the more I thought about it the more my head hurt but after controlling the pain barrier The thing that has been a part of my life for so many years is THE STAR, when I was a child living on the Manor with my parents and my three sisters Winnie, Brenda, Eileen & my brother William. The Star was the paper that kept us all informed on things local, including entertainment, town hall talk, accidents , sport and the deaths informed all who had passed on at a time when it was the norm to put the deceased’s home address in in each notice but now the scum that walk our streets have stopped that practice -- anyway -- Dad always read it first then down through the siblings finally my Mother read after everyone else for some reason Mother was always at her happiest when she was miserable I never understood why. The Star was the only paper we had in the house and from my earliest recollections it served us as a tablecloth for six days a week, then on Sunday it was removed and an Irish linen tablecloth that my Irish Grandmother left to Dad was used . I must add we did change our weekly tablecloth twice a week, after all we did have appearances to keep up there was nothing worse than having Mondays edition the table on Friday.

From Monday to Saturday it was my colouring book and my reading book while I sat at the table eating my bread & sugar sandwiches, its funny I was never told off for using crayons on our “tablecloth!!” in fact I was actively encouraged to do so, I suppose I had an artistic flair even at such a young age

It wasn’t just a newspaper, it was a household utensil, both Dad and my Brother worked outside doing building work for a company called Reeves Charlesworth, so they had to take packing up (sandwiches) and “mashings” of tea, sugar and condensed milk, the “mashings” ingredients were all mixed together, sugar first then tea and finally Nestles condensed milk then it was screwed up into something resembling a ball, both sandwiches and tea mashings were wrapped up in our Star , then when the wrappings were left at work to light the stove the next morning in the site cabin, so you see the Star had more uses than a boat load of Swiss Army Knives. It was even used to clean the windows.

At home when coal fires were the norm, two pages of the housewives helper (the Star) was rolled up and tied into a knot and used as firelighters which worked a treat. At that time Dad was a smoker which finally took his life in 1966 but he tore strips of the Star rolled them tightly to make spills to light his Woodbines. At the time I’m talking about the Star was a broadsheet which over the years went to tabloid which was novel then back to a smaller broadsheet then back to what it is to day, I digress, the Star was a local paper with every little bit of news that could be put in was put in, I can remember reading about a man who used to go to the Magistrates Christmas party because he was in court more times than some of the Magistrates “on his 57th appearance for being drunk in a public place Frederick Eshelby was fined 7/6d” the very next day he was back again, irrespective of his faults he was a character.

This wonderful paper also doubled as a toilet requisite, it was our toilet paper, a full edition was taken in to the toilet and while Sir Isaac Newtons gravity took effect you sat there reading, we didn’t cut the paper into useable squares and placed on a nail like our well to do neighbours because we couldn’t afford a nail!. You had hell of a job to explain away the newsprint on your nether regions when you changed at school for P.T. Ooh Mother! When kite season arrived in September or October I just cant clear the cob-webs from the exact month strips of the Star was used a “chicklings” they were pieces of the paper tied an the tail as balance in the shape of a bow-ties, the paper was also the raw material to make a Pirate hats and with the Star rolled up and pasted with flour and water and left to dry “viola” I had a sword. It also served as an insole for our shoes when a holes appeared in the soles but in wet weather it wasn’t very nice to say the least.

It was some of the headlines that grabbed the imagination “Two wasps sting man by selling him a jar of honey for thirty shillings” and “Pillow maker falls in vat of feathers “ at his inquest it was determined that he was tickled to death. Another very important use of the paper was when Mother decided that she wanted a different colour distemper on the walls, the curtains came down and the Star was pinned up in place of them just to stop people craning their necks to look into our domicile .

As I reached my teen-age years the paper was my entertainment finder, unlike other people of my age then fifteen or so I didn’t try to get in Pubs to get a drink that was a mugs game, you had a lifetime to drink so why waste your formative years getting drunk, I waited till I was Eighteen before going in pubs, my pals and I would rather go to the flicks and there was good number to choose from well over forty, my pal at the time Steve Oldfield went with me to see Eddie Cochran at the Gaumont just days before he lost his life so tragically, only the good die young. So on our way home from a good rocking night we called at the chip shop and what was the outer wrapping of our chips made from? Yes you’ve guessed it the Star, with a liberal soaking of salt and malt vinegar we walked home after wolfing down the chips and fish we ran our fingers through our hair to dry off the vinegar, dirty maybe but it kept the flies away.

This paper has changed with the passing of the years and now its having alter certain things as explained to me by the Stars own Paul Licence and I fully understand as to why it had to change, it does seem strange to lay in bed at eight thirty in the morning and hear the letter box rattle as the Star is popped through, gone are the days of standing on a cold winter step cursing the paper boy for not getting the Star to me quicker not thinking the poor paper boy was walking about in appalling weather to deliver my evening Star.

There must be thousands of Sheffield people who used this paper as we did at home in the late forties and all through the fifties, in those days things were used for a good few things other than what they were intended for as I have set out in this letter, nothing was thrown away it was used and used again not like today. Papers are read, crosswords and puzzles done than its chucked in the recycle bin, Ah well I’ve had the best of the Star.

Hey Tozzin,

That last post about the uses of The Star in years gone by was brilliant.

Why not submit a copy (possibly slightly altered) to The Star and see if they will print it?

I did but they didnt, since the staff changes its very hard to get things about old Sheffield printed now, when Paul Licence was sub Editor he realised the interest topics of Sheffield gone by generated and how the Stars older readers could relate to topics, you are welcome to submit it if you like. Thanks for the compliment Dave.

When I was a newspaper lad on the Arbourthorne in the late 60's - early 70's nobody had a morning Star.

Morning papers were a mixture of address specific deliveries of various National newspapers, magazines, kids comics, womens magazines etc. If anyone did have a local morning paper delivered, it wasn't The Star, it was the Telegraph.

Evening deliveries consisted of only 1 paper, about 50 - 60 copies to deliver and that was The Star, City Late edition.

On Saturdays we did a seperate round to deliver pre-ordered copies of The Green 'Un, but took extras out as we were often stopped in the street by blokes wanting to buy a copy off of us.

On Sunday mornings we took out just Sunday papers like News of the World etc, there was no local Sunday paper. Unfortunately for us the Sunday papers, due to extra suppliments, were big and heavy and frequently did not fit through peoples letterboxes without getting mangled up a bit.

I take it that Sheffield no longer has the 'Morning Telegraph' then? The 'Green un' was the Saturday evening sports supplyment.

I take it that Sheffield no longer has the 'Morning Telegraph' then? The 'Green un' was the Saturday evening sports supplyment.

There's still a Sheffield Telegraph but it's weekly.

I did but they didnt, since the staff changes its very hard to get things about old Sheffield printed now, when Paul Licence was sub Editor he realised the interest topics of Sheffield gone by generated and how the Stars older readers could relate to topics, you are welcome to submit it if you like. Thanks for the compliment Dave.

It's another loss for The Star if they choose not to print it.

There are many older readers who could relate directly to it and would recognise many of the situations in it.

It is also told in a way that would appeal to younger people so would actually be a very readable article.

However, if they chose not to print it, not even in the Retro, then it is their loss.

Having said that, isn't there a woman who takes up half of the last page of every edition of the Retro with articles similar to this one?

Perhaps someone else just beat you to it!

Guest CHOOTTWEAST

Its my first time to post on this forum,just wannat make some friends here.if its not allowed to post on this board,please delete this thread.Nice to see you guys here.:)

Just had a bloke round trying to get us to buy the Star for 33p and free delivery. He says that they are trying to boost it's circulation and if it doesn't it will go weekly he said.

Well he didn't get me to take up this offer!

In fact I have a pretty low opinion of the Star and it's middle class views go, which have slagged off the Manor and other working class areas for two long. So as far as I'm concerned good riddance to this trashy paper. :P

In a bid to help circulation of an ailing newspaper, I see the Star has increased its cover price to 65p

I ask myself, is the Retro supplement worth 65p

In a bid to help circulation of an ailing newspaper, I see the Star has increased its cover price to 65p

It's all change at the Star now. I don't like the new layout it has the look of one of those freebie papers.

In fact our own freebie paper that we receive every week through the letter box has more local news in

it than the Star.

I don't think I will be buying it again , out of protest. The national papers are double thickness and are cheaper.

Not only that Stuart, The Retro itself seems to have gone down in standard since it changed from that red header to the blue one a few weeks ago.

Take todays copy for example, assuming you have paid 65p for it.

The Retro pictures are all of military parades , scout jambourees and stuff like that, - not really pictures of old Sheffield. Further, to The Star "Retro" can easily mean only 2 or 3 years ago, - with their archive I want to see some of the really old stuff they have, - pictures from more than 50 years ago and not those which are within readers living memory.

My main reason for buying The Star today was it's headline story.

COUNCIL TO BAN ICE CREAM VANS FROM SHEFFIELD STREETS.

The picture shows Granellis, I have a vested interest here as I am related to the Cuneos, but the Council action will affect all ice cream vendors in the City. Some of these companies, like the 2 Italian ones already mentioned, have been established in the City for over 150 years. we don't want to lose them as they are well known local names and part of our local culture. I hope the Council can be made to see sense and change their mind on this one and that all the City's independent ice cream traders, of which there are quite a few, will be united against this proposal.

I worked for Sheffield Council all my working life, and for most of that time I was proud to do so. Disillusion set in in the last few years, but I find it hard to believe the numpties that are our councillors and their officers these days. They should paint the Town Hall a fetching shade of ivory so they can sit in their tower while they impose daft ideas on the rest of us.

I can't help but agree with comments from Star readers that if they want to impose restrictions they should start with taxis and buses. I bet they wouldn't dare!

(End of off-topic rant, sorry :huh: )

What reason have they given for not allowing ice -cream vans ?

Some stupid reason most likely that they're making our kids fat.

Carbon emissions, they need to reduce the City's Carbon Footprint

Also, they don't like ice cream vans and ice cream traders and bear a grudge.

Ice cream traders have to be licenced by the council for particular trading areas, outside certain parks or schools for example and have to tender for their patches. Remember a year or two ago when they messed them all about on that issue? It also made the front page of the Star.

Ive submitted my recollections of the STAR to the publisher of My Kind Of Town for their next edition so maybe it will be printed as hes done with my tales for the last four editions.

Hey Tozzin,

That last post about the uses of The Star in years gone by was brilliant.

Why not submit a copy (possibly slightly altered) to The Star and see if they will print it?

Can you remember the old horse drawn carts of the fifties? I realise they were in use well before that but my memories focus on those fantastic 1950s, the carts were magnificent, twisted poles at each corner like large Barley Sugar sticks and each side wonderfully hand painted, fantastic! The Ice cream was something else too, it was mainly Granellis who sold their ice cream on Harborough Avenue where I lived and once you had the white delight in your hand there wasnt really a need to watch out for traffic as in those days a car or lorry would come along the Avenue probably one every half hour plus it seemed much quieter then so you could here the throaty roar of the engines long before you could see them, I seem to think the ice-cream man rang a bell which was quite adequate not like the musical assault on your ears that we hear now, I can also remember laying in bed on holiday from St Theresas School and listening to the skylarks soaring in the sky over the Manor fields, in fact they could be heard every morning in the spring & Summer now I think back, it was like living in the country, I dont think ive heard a Skylark since the fifties. Aah heady days on the Manor.