Sheffield Placenames Quiz

Bayleaf

Fancy your local knowledge? This is called a quiz to name Sheffield suburbs. I'm not sure I'd call them all that, but you've 15 minutes to name 97 placenames against the clock. Anyone dare to publish their score? ;-)

30 + 2 spelt wrong = 32

and what about Southall (where my neice lives) and Page Hall (at the bottom of our road)?

30 + 2 spelt wrong = 32

and what about Southall (where my neice lives) and Page Hall (at the bottom of our road)?

When I did it there were a few I tried but it didn't include, and some that were spelled differently. For example (and I haven't tried this one ) did you try Pagehall as well as Page Hall?

Quite challenging though, let alone against the clock!

42, but missed out on quite a few of our better known areas,

when the results appeared it was a case of "how did I miss that one" !!!

'Intake' was one.

'Intake' was one.

Just managed to squeeze in 49. It would be interesting to do it not against the clock and see how many I missed.

I managed 47 but I noticed that Worral, Wadsley, Stradbroke and Foxhill are apparently not suburbs.

So I'm claiming 51 and taking my bat and ball home again. :rolleyes:

HD

It got me on Wadsley and Foxhill too.

I managed 47 but I noticed that Worral, Wadsley, Stradbroke and Foxhill are apparently not suburbs.

So I'm claiming 51 and taking my bat and ball home again. :rolleyes:

HD

There are a lot of anomalies. If Bradfield is in, why not Dungworth? Wadsley isn't, but Wadsley Bridge is. Just had another go and got it to 69, but cheated a bit by pausing it when my mind went blank!

'Intake' was one.

I got 42 too! Most of mine were at the less posh side of town - though I managed Greystones (wherever that is) because I recalled where Bayleaf lives. I have never been to half those places!! I too tried Foxhill and tried Sheffield Lane Top and Park - neither of which were there. How is Owlerton different to Hillsborough???

How is Owlerton different to Hillsborough???

Both situated on opposite sides of Penistone Road, maybe the reason ... ?

How is Owlerton different to Hillsborough???

Hillsborough is a relatively modern name, before the builder of Hillsborough Hall named it in honour of his Irish patron it didn't exist.

The bridge at the bottom of Walkley Lane was called Hill Bridge but that was all.

I suppose Owlerton (the manor house of which was situated on the "Hillsborough" side of Penistone Road at the bottom of Bradfield Road), would touch boundarys with Walkley, Malin Bridge and Wadsley.

I lived for a short time near Burrowlee House and that was certainly classed as Owlerton, the Owlerton Post Office was on the west side of Penistone road too.

HD

What qualifies as a suburb though? How many people actually live in for instance :

Carbrook? Possibly None apart from Pub Landlords!

What qualifies as a suburb though? How many people actually live in for instance :

Carbrook? Possibly None apart from Pub Landlords!

That's what I wondered. I wouldn't call Bradfield a suburb (and the residents certainly wouldn't!), while others I'd call a suburb aren't included.

I sent my list of possibles to Bayleaf, may have over-run a tad at 130 he he

And I thought he was joking!

I thought it was a good attempt for someone away fpr so long ...

And I thought he was joking!

That's what I wondered. I wouldn't call Bradfield a suburb (and the residents certainly wouldn't!), while others I'd call a suburb aren't included.

????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suburb

61 missed a lot of the easy ones though.

Anyone find the link to that other sheffield suberb quiz, the cryptic one?