A proper Park - or "Rec"

dunsbyowl1867

My grandparents lived across the road from this park on Jenkin Rd Brightside. It had proper swings and roundabouts and one of those things with a horses head that lots of kids could sit on at once and fall off and crack there heads open and I can't remember the name of. There was a football pitch of sorts made of cinders or some such material which left ingrained black grazes on your knees.

This picture shows the park keepers house

where the aptly named Mr Fidler lived. Many a time he was at my grandparents door complaining my uncle or I had been up to no good.

Had a walk round a while ago - the house has long gone and the rec a sorry mess.

Guest detrius

My grandparents lived across the road from this park on Jenkin Rd Brightside. It had proper swings and roundabouts and one of those things with a horses head that lots of kids could sit on at once and fall off and crack there heads open and I can't remember the name of. There was a football pitch of sorts made of cinders or some such material which left ingrained black grazes on your knees.

where the aptly named Mr Fidler lived. Many a time he was at my grandparents door complaining my uncle or I had been up to no good.

Had a walk round a while ago - the house has long gone and the rec a sorry mess.

Hi Dunsbyowl

I remember that park,i LIved on Tipton St in the late 70,s.I remember on certain days on the school holidays the park keeper would open his garage up and hand out hoops and bat and balls for the kids to use as long as you handed them back at the end of the day.He was a grumpy git though.would shout at you when it was locking up time.

Learned to ride my bike around the football pitch too.And my first kiss in the bushes

AHH happy days.Looked at the park from google earth,does look bad now.

Andy m

It had proper swings and roundabouts and one of those things with a horses head that lots of kids could sit on at once and fall off and crack there heads open and I can't remember the name of.

Indeed, I remember the "horse-ride" from Hillsborough Park, also no idea what its true name was ....

Guest wisewoodowl

I used to live off Wincobank Lane and walked over past Cook's farm and the reservoir to play there. We called it t'rec. lol

*edit* I meant the park, not the rocking horse ride, was known as t'rec

Those rocking horses where you get about 6 people on were fantastic and upredictable.

They were eventually withdrawn because children would get their knee caught under the front as it came down....smashing the leg bones. Pah....political correctness gone mad!

Guest wisewoodowl

I went walking in White Peak area yesterday; caught the bus out due to the amount of alcohol we tend to drink when we've finished walking. The bus passed through Grindleford on its way out to Tideswell.

There's one of those rocking horses in the park at Grindleford lol