12 Herries Road , Sheffield.

Guest Barbara M

Guest Barbara M

Does anyone know what it means when it says on a death certificate under " when & where died " it gave the date of his death & the address of : 12 Herries Rd ; Sheffield , then in " occupation " it gives his home address & " jobbing grinder ".

Was 12 Herries Road some kind of hospital ? This was in 1927 & my great uncle was only 35yrs old.

2 Herries Road is the most common address for death in Sheffield ... it's Firvale Hospital formerly known as ...

My Grandfather died there in 1952, still recorded as 2 Herries Road.

Note 2, not 12.

My own Mother, when termially ill, decided to go home overnight from the Northern General because she could not be transferred from "the hospital" to a hospice that night. The decision was the families, but, when she looked me in the eyes it was an easy decision to make - nobody wanted that address on their death certificate and this was in 2007.

Does anyone know what it means when it says on a death certificate under " when & where died " it gave the date of his death & the address of : 12 Herries Rd ; Sheffield , then in " occupation " it gives his home address & " jobbing grinder ".

Was 12 Herries Road some kind of hospital ? This was in 1927 & my great uncle was only 35yrs old.

There are lots of "12 Herries Road" as well as "2 Herries Road" on the Sheffield Indexers records. I'm assuming this isn't as transcribing error as there are so many of them. The "2"s" seem to be later than the "12s" (30s and 40s rather than 20's and 30s). Wonder if there was an instruction to change it from 12 to 2 in the 1920s? Did the road numbering change at that time?

Guest Barbara M

2 Herries Road is the most common address for death in Sheffield ... it's Firvale Hospital formerly known as ...

My Grandfather died there in 1952, still recorded as 2 Herries Road.

Note 2, not 12.

My own Mother, when termially ill, decided to go home overnight from the Northern General because she could not be transferred from "the hospital" to a hospice that night. The decision was the families, but, when she looked me in the eyes it was an easy decision to make - nobody wanted that address on their death certificate and this was in 2007.

Ah ...now I understand, Firvale Infirmary was the old workhouse before it became the hospital & then the new bit was called " City Gereral Hospital " & the old bit Firvale Infirmary for the older people.

Then the whole lot was renamed " Northern General Hospital " in the '70s ?

We were the licensees at the Canon Hall , Firvale in the '80s ....small world !!

I have attached the death cert of my grt uncle so you can see that it says 12 ......an early " Senior Moment " do you reckon !!

Thanks for the info Richard.

2 Herries Road, 12 Herries Road - its all the same, and a place not much liked, even after it had been a hospital for 80+ years; my sister had the "C" illness and during treatment ranted about the place being "a Victoriam slum" ... 2009, so, the memory lives on well beyond its time.

Ah ...now I understand, Firvale Infirmary was the old workhouse before it became the hospital & then the new bit was called " City Gereral Hospital " & the old bit Firvale Infirmary for the older people.

We were the licensees at the Canon Hall , Firvale in the '80s ....small world !!

I have attached the death cert of my grt uncle so you can see that it says 12 ......an early " Senior Moment " do you reckon !!

Thanks for the info Richard.

12 Herries Road

Clancy-William Joseph.M.B- Ch.B.-R.O.A. deputy medical supt.

City General Hospital

( Jas Clark M.D-F.R.C.P.-D.P.H. medical supt..

Wm. Jsph Clancy M.B., Ch.B.,B.O.A. deputy medical supt.

Rt. Cummings, steward.)

2 Smilter Lane

Beevers-Wilfred Roebuck

assistant Poor Law Institution master

Smilter Lane changes to Herries Road.

Thank you Neddy.

12 Herries Road

Clancy-William Joseph.M.B- Ch.B.-R.O.A. deputy medical supt.

City General Hospital

( Jas Clark M.D-F.R.C.P.-D.P.H. medical supt..

Wm. Jsph Clancy M.B., Ch.B.,B.O.A. deputy medical supt.

Rt. Cummings, steward.)

2 Smilter Lane

Beevers-Wilfred Roebuck

assistant Poor Law Institution master

Smilter Lane changes to Herries Road.

I think it was long before the 1970s. In my1969 kelly's directory it names Northern General hospital but with no street number on herries road.

According to Wikipedia, the hospital became a single entity as Northern General in 1967.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_General_Hospital

Guest Barbara M

I don't think it was as early as 1951 Richard, we lived at Firth Park from 1949 to 1966 & when I was at Hucklow Rd & Hinde House schools , it was definately still City General up to me leaving school in 1958.

Guest Barbara M

I have no idea Togger, often wondered myself as it is on a lot of these old certificates !! Perhaps someone else can help ?

I have one death certificate from 1916 When it was the Sheffield UNion HOspital and I have just had a look and it has the same UD aft the address. Mmmmm someone might know?

Thanks Barbara

Barbara,

What does the UD stand for under 12 Herries Road as the place of death ?

Urban District

Guest Barbara M

I have a booklet from the Telegraph giving tips on ancestry which shows a copy death certificate & it is on there too !!!

Message from neddy just came in while I was typing ........

Thanks Neddy .....why is it always so obvious !!!

Guest Barbara M

I think it was long before the 1970s. In my1969 kelly's directory it names Northern General hospital but with no street number on herries road.

According to Wikipedia, the hospital became a single entity as Northern General in 1967.

http://en.wikipedia....eneral_Hospital

You were so right Muddycoffee.........but as I don't trust Wikipedia with info I found this

on Sheffield Indexers. Sorted !!!

Foundation stone for the new Sheffield Union Workhouse laid 16th September 1878 Opened 22nd September 1881 21st October 1906 the Local Government Board issued an order separating the hospital from other buildings naming it Sheffield Union Hospital gradually it became known as Fir Vale Hospital the remainder becoming Fir Vale Institution often referred to as Fir Vale House. The Local Government Act of 1929 abolished the Board of Guardians and handed the Institution & Hospital over to the Sheffield Corporation and on 1st April 1930 the hospital was renamed City General Hospital and Fir Vale Institution became Fir Vale Infirmary. 1967 the Northern General Hospital was cformed by the amalgamation of City General Hospital & Fir Vale Infirmary. For more information see: The Institution & Hospital at Fir Vale, a cenenary history of tyhe Northern General Hospital by Peter Speck with Mick Fines, Chris Hinton & Pauline Whitear Ref: 362.11 also Life in the Workhouse & Old Hospital at Fir Vale, the story of the Northern General Hospital, by Lyn Howsam Ref:362.11 SQ

Entrance Gates andamp; Lodge, Sheffield Union Workhouse, Fir Vale at the junction with Barnsley Road and Herries Road.

PictureSheffield http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29s00405%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOUhlcnJpZXNfUm9hZCUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZwYWdlPTE=

Barbara,

What does the UD stand for under 12 Herries Road as the place of death ?

Just a shot in the dark but could it be Untimely Death ?..

It's Urban District ... mentioned on here before, somewhere ....

Just a shot in the dark but could it be Untimely Death ?..