Firth Park - recognise this ?

dunsbyowl1867

If they'd never built some of the estates that cover Northern Sheffield a lot of it would have looked like the scene behind this church at Firth Park. Workers obviously needed better housing and amenities to go with them but you can't help thinking what a shame!

The church is still there (I took some pictures two days ago which I will post when I get back to Canada). We lived up the hill from there and I know that the houses we livede in were built just after the first world war. Interesting to see that the area already had a tram route.

Guest SuzyC

My aunty Edie (Edith Seymour) had the toyshop at 5 Stubbin Lane. It was a fantastic place, not only toys but greeting cards, a small lending library all crammed into what we would now call a front room. It was brilliant at Xmas my cousins´ bedroom was transformed into the "showroom" (they were banished to the attic). Plus all the stuff going down into the cellar. Alladin´s cave or what. Also took orders for printed Xmas cards, sold fireworks for bonfire night., etc. Next door was Mr Purcell, (double fronted shop) who sold what I can only term as "fancy goods". Purses, handbags and the like. Up the road was Mrs Norris´s sweet shop - liquorice roots and Hulleys ice cream (remember choc ice on a stick, delicious.

My first post, hope it strikes a memory of fun!

My aunty Edie (Edith Seymour) had the toyshop at 5 Stubbin Lane. It was a fantastic place, not only toys but greeting cards, a small lending library all crammed into what we would now call a front room. It was brilliant at Xmas my cousins´ bedroom was transformed into the "showroom" (they were banished to the attic). Plus all the stuff going down into the cellar. Alladin´s cave or what. Also took orders for printed Xmas cards, sold fireworks for bonfire night., etc. Next door was Mr Purcell, (double fronted shop) who sold what I can only term as "fancy goods". Purses, handbags and the like. Up the road was Mrs Norris´s sweet shop - liquorice roots and Hulleys ice cream (remember choc ice on a stick, delicious.

Hi Suzy, and welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your memories. I was brought up at Firvale, and I can remember going to the clinic at Firth park to get our ration books. I remember Kenyon's on Bellhouse Road, and I think I remember your aunty's as well, from the late 50's early 60's-ish, would that be about right? Firth Park had a really varied and vibrant shopping centre, but it seems to have gone the way of many other suburban centres, although it does still seem to be a busy place.

I came across this photo of Bell House rd c 1910 though I wouldn't have recognised it!

Hi Suzy, and welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your memories. I was brought up at Firvale, and I can remember going to the clinic at Firth park to get our ration books. I remember Kenyon's on Bellhouse Road, and I think I remember your aunty's as well, from the late 50's early 60's-ish, would that be about right? Firth Park had a really varied and vibrant shopping centre, but it seems to have gone the way of many other suburban centres, although it does still seem to be a busy place.

I came across this photo of Bell House rd c 1910 though I wouldn't have recognised it!

I too remember your Aunty Edie's shop. I lived on Hinde House Lane where I was born in 1944 & spent a lot of time at Firth Park both in the park & at the shops. John Spencer ( Spencer & Sons butchers) was a friend both as school & for years afterwards through Boys Brigade at Firth Park Church.

Thansk Dunsbyowl & Bayleaf for great old photos.

John

Guest SuzyC

Thanks for the welcome guys, that was a fantastic picture of Bellhouse Road, unrecognisable. I "Google Earthed" Firth Park the other day and although the shops have all changed of course it still looks familiar and I like what they´ve done to the roundabout. (am I right in thinking that it was once a toll gate?). Aunty Edie´s shop looks to be a takeaway now. You are right she had her shop there during the fifties and sixties until she retired to a flat in The Ravine, Shiregreen.

I must tell you what an enjoyable few days I have had reading through the posts on this site, it has brought back many memories of my childhood in Sheffield and I look forward to sharing some in the following weeks. Everyone on the site seems very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. :)

X

Thanks for the welcome guys, that was a fantastic picture of Bellhouse Road, unrecognisable. I "Google Earthed" Firth Park the other day and although the shops have all changed of course it still looks familiar and I like what they´ve done to the roundabout. (am I right in thinking that it was once a toll gate?). Aunty Edie´s shop looks to be a takeaway now. You are right she had her shop there during the fifties and sixties until she retired to a flat in The Ravine, Shiregreen.

I must tell you what an enjoyable few days I have had reading through the posts on this site, it has brought back many memories of my childhood in Sheffield and I look forward to sharing some in the following weeks. Everyone on the site seems very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. :)

X

Hi Suzy

I don't think it was ever a tollgate. It was a roundabout but the trams ran straight through the middle. When the trams finished they put two 'ornamental' gates up rather than rebuilding the whole thing. Back in the 60's after the gates went up some of the school orchestra went down there and stood in the middle playing Christmas Carols to the shoppers.. Look forward to hearing more memories, one of the great things about this forum is how one person's memories can spark off so many more.

X

Hi and Welcome SuzyC

Here is a 1940s Photo of Firth Park roundabout showing an approaching Tram.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s15825.jpg

Guest SuzyC

Hi and Welcome SuzyC

Here is a 1940s Photo of Firth Park roundabout showing an approaching Tram.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s15825.jpg

Thanks to you all for posting some great pictures. It´s so interesting to see how places have changed. Hasn´t the old church stood up well though over the years? I must have been thinking of another roundabout that had been an old toll bar site - there was one at the end of Eccleshall Road South I think. It´s strange how we can remember childhood stuff quite accurately and forget what we had for tea yesterday :o

Thanks to you all for posting some great pictures. It´s so interesting to see how places have changed. Hasn´t the old church stood up well though over the years? I must have been thinking of another roundabout that had been an old toll bar site - there was one at the end of Eccleshall Road South I think. It´s strange how we can remember childhood stuff quite accurately and forget what we had for tea yesterday :o

That's right. The toll bar at Hunters bar was the last to go. It closed at midnight, and a crowd gathered to see it go, and took the bar and threw it in the fields. When the Council put the traffic island in they put a toll bar in the centre as a reminder of where the name came from. The island's all planted up now, but I think the bar may still be there.

(Yep, still there according to Google street view!)

Hi fellow sheffielders

Thanks for all those great photos,I too spent a lot of time as a child around the Firth park area, I went to Shiregreen School on Bracken road, and spent many a happy dinner time "chipping it" at Firth park,also I remember the Cycle shop "John Allens" I can still smell the new cycle tyres which hit you when you went inside the door, and also buying lots of different Transfers to customise our Bikes.

One of my school pals Dads had the Barbers shop just below Kenyons it was called Sykes, my school pals name was Alan Sykes, I also remember buying some Beatles records in the basement record department of the Electrical shop the other side of the roundabout, it's now a Tanning center on Google street view.

Thanks to you all for some great memories on this site,I hope I have jogged a few. Regards Steve :)

I remember your Aunt's shop well and the Sweet shop. Growing up in Firth Park having being born and raised in the area meant a lot of childhood memories were of Sweet& Toy shops lol