T.W Wards & Lizzie the War Elephant

dobberd

Well I have never heard of this before, just happened to

be browsing and found this picture of an elephant working in Sheffield during

the First World War. According to wikipedia it's at a munitions factory somewhere

in the city. Anyone have more of a clue as to where.

sorry to answer my own question but have unearthed a bit more info

this from the North West Evening Mail archive

"During the First World War, Thomas Ward's was heavily engaged in war activities.

There was a shortage of horses which had been sent to the front and in 1916 Ward leased an elephant (and a man to look after it) from a circus.

The firm had the elephant for a couple of years, stabling her near the factory and using her for hauling heavy loads of steel around Sheffield.

The elephant's name was Lizzie and the records are full of anecdotes about her "eating a schoolboy's cap, putting her trunk through a kitchen window to help herself, and pushing over a traction engine."

Guest tsavo

Been trying to work out where this was shot. The tram is going to Walkley so could be just about anywhere between Intake and South Road. However, the tram appears to be travelling slightly away from the elephant as though the tram lines were split. Top of Hounsfield Rd? (where the Crookes & Walkley trams separated) or South Street?.... could be just about anywhere. Pity we can't read the signs.

Been trying to work out where this was shot. The tram is going to Walkley so could be just about anywhere between Intake and South Road. However, the tram appears to be travelling slightly away from the elephant as though the tram lines were split. Top of Hounsfield Rd? (where the Crookes & Walkley trams separated) or South Street?.... could be just about anywhere. Pity we can't read the signs.

That tram-elephant combination was me ! I wore a taffeta-ballgown until 1941, then I converted to regular army gear, it was playing havoc with my nails !!! probably .....

Guest tsavo

That tram-elephant combination was me ! I wore a taffeta-ballgown until 1941, then I converted to regular army gear, it was playing havoc with my nails !!! probably .....

Pre 1941 picture please! lollol lol

Pre 1941 picture please! lollollol

I do have a couple of other pictures of Lizzie the Umphalump, will be Monday at the soonist for those. May provide more detail also.

At the risk of being accused of being sexist I do wonder if anyone else remembers the old phrase used towards one's wife or girlfriend when helping her out of a chair or into a car 'ee it's like Tommy Wards elephant'!

I hasten to add this phrase was mainly used by my parents generation - I personally only trying it once, (think the bruises will be gone in a couple of weeks)!

'ee it's like Tommy Wards elephant'!

Well I've never heard that before, but I like it lol

So, who was Tommy Ward ???

Whether this is true or not I'm not sure but someone once told me they had been to a pub quiz and one of the questions was name the biggest goal keeper ever fielded by Sheffield United/Wednesday (can't remember which)

Anyway the answer was Tommy Wards Elephant.

The tale goes the Elephant was taken to Bramhall lane/ Hillsborough and was put in goal during some sort of charity match.

This also reminds me of a joke about Lester Piggott but not wishing to be banned I shall not enthrall you all with the rest of that one.

Guest tsavo

If there's some way of telling it without breeching SH rules I would be enthralled to hear it... lollol lol

Guest transit

Thomas Ward

Among other things, they dismantled many old steam engines and even The Crystal Palace after the fire.

Link to details:

http://www.lib.umd.edu/digital/worldsfairs...jsp?pid=umd:768

Thomas Wards (T.W .Ward) became the graveyard for the disposal of Sheffields much loved trams ,after the abandment of the tramway system in 1960 . The main dismantling yard was opposite the Tinsley tram sheds ,and tram tracks were especially laid to enable the trams to make their fatefull last journey (the site is now Tinsley Wire , beside Meadowhall retail park). " Tommy Wards " vast main offices , up to the late 80"s , were on Saville St, opposite what now is the Vauxhall dealers , before the Wicker Arches.

Whether this is true or not I'm not sure but someone once told me they had been to a pub quiz and one of the questions was name the biggest goal keeper ever fielded by Sheffield United/Wednesday (can't remember which)

Anyway the answer was Tommy Wards Elephant.

The tale goes the Elephant was taken to Bramhall lane/ Hillsborough and was put in goal during some sort of charity match.

This also reminds me of a joke about Lester Piggott but not wishing to be banned I shall not enthrall you all with the rest of that one.

No, Kevin Pressman just pipped the elephant by a few kilos to claim the record.

Can't see that this one has been posted -another of Lizzie at Albion Works, Saville Street.

Opposite the main gate of TWW, junction of Attercliffe Road/Savile Street.

That certainly fits, W.E., but the tram's destination is Walkley. Did the Walkley route ever service Saville Street? Someone will know. :rolleyes:

That certainly fits, W.E., but the tram's destination is Walkley. Did the Walkley route ever service Saville Street? Someone will know. :rolleyes:

I don't think Walkley trams ever made it to Savile Street on the normal service pattern - initially it was Walkley to Pitsmoor via Barnsley Raod, and it became Walkley to Intake quite early on - about 1905. It is likely that the tram is on a workmens' service to/from the East End, of which there were many.

Hi I found out today that my great grand dad looked after an elephant at Thomas Wards. Herbert Hancock born in the summer of 1869 married Sarah H Fellows in December of 1893 going on to have many children including my Nan Violet Leach nee Hancock. Anyone have any more information?

Well I have never heard of this before, just happened to

be browsing and found this picture of an elephant working in Sheffield during

the First World War. According to wikipedia it's at a munitions factory somewhere

in the city. Anyone have more of a clue as to where.

Thats the one. The Elephant and my great grand dad Herbert Hancock at Thomas wards.

Watched this interesting programme on BBC 4 - included a short section on TW Ward's breakers yard at Inverkeithing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00nf0nl/Timeshift_Series_9_The_Golden_Age_of_Liners/