Best Wishes For The Play-Offs.

RichardB

As a Sheffielder first and foremost, Good Luck to United in the play-offs, be nice to meet again in Derby games next season. An opportunity for some friendly banter.

As a Sheffielder first and foremost, Good Luck to United in the play-offs, be nice to meet again in Derby games next season. An opportunity for some friendly banter.

Yes, it will be nice to have both Sheffield clubs back in the old 2nd Division again. W/E.

thanks for the support - i have a feeling us blades are in a minority on this forum!?

Okay lets get to the history of the Blades in the play-offs.

Ive not checked but im pretty sure United are the only team to have lost a play-off final at the three different stadiums used and without scoring a single goal!

1997: Old Wembley lost 1-0 to Crystal Palace

2003: Cardiff lost 3-0 to Wolves

2009: New Wembley lost 1-0 to Burnley

Having said that we do have one thing in our favour - United were the winners of the very first play-off way back in 1893.

After finishing second to Small Heath (later Birmingham City) in the newly formed second division they met Accrington who had finished 15th in the first division in a "Test Match".

United won 1-0 and were promoted to the first division where they stayed until 1934.

UTB!

Due to the association with Owlstalk, Admin runs both sites, there is a noticeable Blue and White bias evident here, however, we're a history site and any and everything Sheffield United history related is most eagerly sought and appreciated.

I've been on here the last two times United were relegated cheering the old enemy on; and now I'm fully behind them in the play-offs.

I fully reserve the right to give my Unitedite workmate a tough time on Tuesday morning - we car-share on a 30 mile trip so he's not got much chance to escape ...

thanks for the support - i have a feeling us blades are in a minority on this forum!?

Okay lets get to the history of the Blades in the play-offs.

Ive not checked but im pretty sure United are the only team to have lost a play-off final at the three different stadiums used and without scoring a single goal!

1997: Old Wembley lost 1-0 to Crystal Palace

2003: Cardiff lost 3-0 to Wolves

2009: New Wembley lost 1-0 to Burnley

Having said that we do have one thing in our favour - United were the winners of the very first play-off way back in 1893.

After finishing second to Small Heath (later Birmingham City) in the newly formed second division they met Accrington who had finished 15th in the first division in a "Test Match".

United won 1-0 and were promoted to the first division where they stayed until 1934.

UTB!

My United-supporting workmate at Hexham has a to attend wedding on play-off day.

I'm the account holder for our work mobiles.

The two may collide, or so I'm going to tell him, I'm going to get his phone blocked and barred for the duration of the game - or so I'm going to tell him on the drive into work tomorrow ...

Sheffield United versus Huddersfield it is then.

My United-supporting workmate at Hexham has a to attend wedding on play-off day.

I'm the account holder for our work mobiles.

The two may collide, or so I'm going to tell him, I'm going to get his phone blocked and barred for the duration of the game - or so I'm going to tell him on the drive into work tomorrow ...

Sounds like Sheffield History's version of the Likely Lads! lol

A bit of harmless banter between two Sheffield "Lads" a goodly distance away from home ...

"Lads" HA !

Sounds like Sheffield History's version of the Likely Lads! lol

The moment is nigh ... personally I wish 'em well, I'd rather a pair of derby games and all the best for Sheffield ...

Now, I wouldn't have said that when I was 15.

Good Luck United.

Well said sir!

I would have said the same thing had the roles been reversed.

And I wish they had.

Score just in from Wembley

Huddersfield Town 8 Sheffield United 7

After extra time and after a penalty shoot out

Must have been one hell of a match, but not a good result for the Blades.

Believe it or not, I saw the entire game last night on my computer, the first time I've seen United play for 17 years. The game started at midnight and ended about 2.45 am

I spent the first 20 minutes trying to count United's players as I was convinced they were playing without a forward line. Where were the wingers, the inside forwards and the centre forward? There didn't appear to be any. They had plenty of men in defence and they were playing really well, skillfully passing the ball between themselves until they reached the half way line then there was no one else to pass to.

So I was not really surprised that United failed to score any goals since that's what a forward line is typically renowned for. I just think someone should tell the manager before he picks his team for the opening game next season in the Football League Div.1

One day, the story of United's season will make interesting reading - a season full of promise for so long then a series of events turning it into the worse possible imaginable end - only compounded by the promotion for Wednesday.

Has any other game gone to that many penalties ?

My United-supporting workmate seems to think several players hung-on for a season, fully expecting to be promoted at the first attempt, is there now an exodus of talent from the Lane and a long, hard rebuild ?

One day, the story of United's season will make interesting reading - a season full of promise for so long then a series of events turning it into the worse possible imaginable end - only compounded by the promotion for Wednesday.

Has any other game gone to that many penalties ?

My United-supporting workmate seems to think several players hung-on for a season, fully expecting to be promoted at the first attempt, is there now an exodus of talent from the Lane and a long, hard rebuild ?

According to Thursday's Telegraph Danny Wilson thinks that could well be the case. Apparently a number of Championship clubs have been hovering in the background awaiting the outcome, and having failed to be promoted, he's expecting them to try and take advantage.

Huddersfields Jordan Rhodes was reported to be a target for Fulham, though yesterdays pre-match valuation of £8 million was considered a problem ...

According to Thursday's Telegraph Danny Wilson thinks that could well be the case. Apparently a number of Championship clubs have been hovering in the background awaiting the outcome, and having failed to be promoted, he's expecting them to try and take advantage.