A Quick Poll Of Broadband Speeds

Stuart0742

The big scanner is powered from an external water wheel, so its a good job the drought has been cancelled.

Upgrade it,

If the external water wheel is an undershot wheel replace it with an overshot wheel.

Gives more power output from the same volume of water per second passing over the wheel.

Let's bring that water wheel technology right up to date and move into the 19th century! lol

With your effort it's done a damned good job for a total outlay of bugger all - now even a team of transcribing Monks at Lindisfarne hundreds of years ago would have cost more than that (medieval to decimal conversion included).

Having gone a few map scans I always found it was me that was the slowest element in the process.

My fleet of scanners are still as slow as ever he he he he

The big scanner is powered from an external water wheel, so its a good job the drought has been cancelled.

Never knew you had a water wheel on your house, or even a river and reservoir nearby to power it.

Would have been handy in the early 1970's to cover those 4 hour power cuts

Never knew you had a water wheel on your house, or even a river and reservoir nearby to power it.

Powered by by a hosepipe, then all the water go back down the drain and back to Yorkshire Water and they can then sell it again, see no waste and very environmentally friendly.

Would have been handy in the early 1970's to cover those 4 hour power cuts

But he would have been in a panic in 1976!

Powered by by a hosepipe, then all the water go back down the drain and back to Yorkshire Water and they can then sell it again, see no waste and very environmentally friendly.

Only works in times of no drought and hence no hosepipe ban.

Rubbish if your water is metered rather than rated

But he would have been in a panic in 1976!

Well, if we ignore the 2nd law of thermodynamics (the one about entropy and perpetual motion machines not working), he could use the energy produced from the water wheel to pump the water which had just powered it back up into the reservoir and use it again, - very economical on water in a drought

Unfortunately it doesn't work, - and that's a physical law!

Only works in times of no drought and hence no hosepipe ban.

Rubbish if your water is metered rather than rated

At times of drought I have an electric motor to power the waterwheel, which generates Electricity which powers the electric motor etc etc. he he

At times of drought I have an electric motor to power the waterwheel, which generates Electricity which powers the electric motor etc etc. he he

Read the previous post Stuart, - beat you to it.

Read the previous post Stuart, - beat you to it.

Or should I have said "Great minds think alike"

Or should I have said "It takes one to know one"

Well, if we ignore the 2nd law of thermodynamics (the one about entropy and perpetual motion machines not working), he could use the energy produced from the water wheel to pump the water which had just powered it back up into the reservoir and use it again, - very economical on water in a drought

Unfortunately it doesn't work, - and that's a physical law!

For those that don't understand the science here, - we know a song about it!

THERMODYNAMICS.MP3

(song courtesy of Flanders and Swann)

I have just found out recently that my broadband supplier was overcharging me. It turns out that I could have been paying half price and got a 10GB download limit instead of just 5GB :mellow: They never said anything, just kept us on the old rate! So check that you are getting the best rate, won't mention the name, but just to say they advertise on telly using a well known comedian and a brass band ;-)

I have just found out recently that my broadband supplier was overcharging me. It turns out that I could have been paying half price and got a 10GB download limit instead of just 5GB :mellow: They never said anything, just kept us on the old rate! So check that you are getting the best rate, won't mention the name, but just to say they advertise on telly using a well known comedian and a brass band ;-)

Paying double the price for half the speed is paying 4 times too much in my book.

My current ISP advertises on TV using a lookalike athlete, star of the recent Olympics, claiming that their broadband speed is the fastest like this well known athlete.

That's got to be a lie.

The athlete has been described, incorrectly, as "the fastest man alive". The real fastest men alive are the 3 crew members of the Apollo 10 mission (the one that flew to the moon on went down to low altitude to test out all the systems but, frustratingly for the crew, didn't land, - that was for the subsequent mission, Apollo 11) However Apollo 10 flew out to the moon when it was at apogee (its greatest distance from the Earth in its elliptical orbit). to do this it had to fly a little bit faster than the other missions and achieved 24.790 mph, the fastest speed ever achieved by a manned vehicle.

Now I would prefer my broadband speed to be Apollo 10 speed rather than track athletic speed! ;-)